labels lifting off the tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hippi

aluminate slow, underhill casting tube, labels from ExoticBlanks
the label looks good before casting them, sometime, in the pot this happened 4 fails then tried again, and had 3 fails, wipe the tubes w/ acetone, and the same thing happened what am I doing wrong have had good luck before 8mm tubes, label 4x1.03 -1.035

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

It might be that the resin is attaching the glue on the label. Some seal the labels on the tube with some type of spray sealer. Clear acrylic of some sort. I use Clear Elmers. I love the stuff and use it on a lot of projects. It will also help prevent bubble spots on the labels

henry1164

JohnU

If you're using weather proof labels there's no need to seal them, but there are a few tho gs you have to do to help the success rate.

Be sure to have a 1/8" overlap when you wrap them on the tube. That will help keep the resin from getting under them. Next, roll over the seam with some pressure to press the label against itself. I use a plastic Sharpie marker and roll down the tube length over the seam. It doesn't mess up the print if you roll it instead of sliding or burnishing it. Lastly, make sure you aren't touching the adhesive side of the label at the end where it overlaps. The oils in your skin can interfere with its holding power, and will have longer soaking time in "slow" resin.

jttheclockman

I agree with what John said. Important no fingerprints on the underside of label where it attaches to tubes. I roll my finished tubes on a pad of paper that is smoothe and no debris on it. Just press down with hand as you roll. I mainly adhere film papers and the same rules apply thus the reason I am chiming in. I also use some 220 sandpaper to scuff the tube to give it some tooth. Do not want to make deep scratches or they will transfer through label thus the 220 grit. I wipe down with acetone and do not touch tube again except on ends between fingers. I always leave for 24 hours before casting.

Top Bottom