It Turned Out better than I had hoped

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

My oops, repaired, pen blank turned out much better than I had hoped. I posted earlier about gluing my fingers to the blank during repairs and how hot CA glue gets when it is curing - Ouch! I was pleasantly surprised that the repair turned out the way it did. The catch was pretty significant with three big chunks of blank torn off of the tube. Fortunately, the CA and sawdust filled a couple of missing bits and the chunks glued back into the burl seamlessly. I was a little nervous finishing the turning though and sanded it down to the final size.

The kit is a PSI Magnetic Graduate in Gunmetal that I got from Exotic Blanks and the blank was an "Assorted Hybrid" Burl and Green Alumilite that I bought from the Exotic Blanks booth at last weekend's MPG in Chicago. At least I think it was Alumilite as it turned easily and didn't put off the odor that some of the other resins do. It is the first hybrid blank I have ever turned so I'm particularly glad I was able to salvage it. It has also made me want to buy more hybrid blanks. Since a lot of the burl was being held together with CA, I used my old standard CA regimen to finish it instead of GlueBoost and I finished it off by wet sanding through all of the MicroMesh grits.

Regards, Dave

IMG_4434 Cropped.jpg

IMG_4428 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4429 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4430 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4431 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4432 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4433 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

That turned out beautifully. I do love the hybrid blanks. There's so many combinations, especially considering that the wood can be dyed, too.

For CA repairs like that, I usually wrap a baggie around it while holding. CA doesn't stick to PE, but you can definitely still feel the heat through it.

Kcimdrib

Greetings from Nebraska.

My oops, repaired, pen blank turned out much better than I had hoped. I posted earlier about gluing my fingers to the blank during repairs and how hot CA glue gets when it is curing - Ouch! I was pleasantly surprised that the repair turned out the way it did. The catch was pretty significant with three big chunks of blank torn off of the tube. Fortunately, the CA and sawdust filled a couple of missing bits and the chunks glued back into the burl seamlessly. I was a little nervous finishing the turning though and sanded it down to the final size.

The kit is a PSI Magnetic Graduate in Gunmetal that I got from Exotic Blanks and the blank was an "Assorted Hybrid" Burl and Green Alumilite that I bought from the Exotic Blanks booth at last weekend's MPG in Chicago. At least I think it was Alumilite as it turned easily and didn't put off the odor that some of the other resins do. It is the first hybrid blank I have ever turned so I'm particularly glad I was able to salvage it. It has also made me want to buy more hybrid blanks. Since a lot of the burl was being held together with CA, I used my old standard CA regimen to finish it instead of GlueBoost and I finished it off by wet sanding through all of the MicroMesh grits.

Regards, Dave

View attachment 372610

View attachment 372604
View attachment 372605
View attachment 372606
View attachment 372607
View attachment 372608
View attachment 372609
Greetings from Nebraska.

Regards, Dave

View attachment 372610

View attachment 372604
View attachment 372605
View attachment 372606
View attachment 372607
View attachment 372608
View attachment 372609
That's one great looking Pen Dave well done

derekdd

Hey Dave, that looks really good. I'm a sucker for hybrid blanks.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at MPG last weekend.

I met several IAP folks there, which was fun.

egnald

Hey Dave, that looks really good. I'm a sucker for hybrid blanks.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at MPG last weekend.

I met several IAP folks there, which was fun.
We didn't get there until Friday afternoon and the time went by so quickly. I had to leave on Saturday around lunchtime, so a lot of stuff got crammed into a short period of time. I didn't get to meet nearly as many people as I wanted to either. I sure had fun though.

d_bondi

That looks great, you would never know you had a mishap with it.

I love hybrid blanks!!

KMCloonan

Kind of like the mosquito trapped in a block of amber for 5 million years, some of your skin is no doubt encapsulated in the resin for future archaeologists to discover. šŸ¤£

RunnerVince

Love the pen! Glad you persevered. Great photos too. It can be really hard to catch the grain of the wood, the color of the resin, and the gloss of the finish all in one photo.

Top Bottom