Inspirational Pens - Where do you get your ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I was browsing around today, looking at various pens from some of the big name manufacturers. Lot of amazing pens out there! Lot of amazing materials. One of my favorite things is chasing, which you can still find on some pens these days, although sometimes its a bit more advanced than how it was in the past. Anyway, I get a lot of ideas from these....was wondering what other people do for inspiration. I haven't gotten into 100% custom pen making yet, however I am starting to work on chasing and chasing-style engraving of some of my pens, along with some what I hope are unique segmenting ideas.

Here are some of the intriguing and interesting pens I found lately:

This MontBlanc has some really interesting engraved design in it:

As does this Starwalker:

This ONOTO is hand guilded!

And this one is engraved:

And this one is more classic chasing:

Love this style of pen design!!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Couple more:

content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f08%2fNarwhal-1-590x1024.jpg

TDahl

I think this may be a difficult question to answer because inspiration is created by emotions which more than likely are very fluid and change dramatically. With that said, I find my inspirations come from color combinations in my surroundings that jump out and grab my attention. Most of my sources come from nature as there are vast combinations of not only colors, but textures and patterns as well. It is from there that I will design a pen that begins to tell a story. This usually involves cast a blank with the color combinations is saw, and then selecting and designing the metal accents to compliment the colors. I try to finish the story with some kind of engraving, or other embellishment (i.e. an engraved cabochon) to complete the story.

jrista

The answers do not need to be timeless... Was just curious what kinds of pens people like, where they draw their inspiration from (even if that is just right now), what specific design elements intrigue them, etc.

Alan Morrison

Jon, here are some links to where I get challenged/inspired.......

or search......Tunbridge ware.....Yosegi zaiku.......Laguna taracea.......tile flooring design.....Art deco and art nouveau design.....quilting patterns.......
knitting patterns......khatam marquetry.....bead loom patterns...etc. etc. etc.

These are some just off the top of my head.

jrista

Jon, here are some links to where I get challenged/inspired.......

or search......Tunbridge ware.....Yosegi zaiku.......Laguna taracea.......tile flooring design.....Art deco and art nouveau design.....quilting patterns.......
knitting patterns......khatam marquetry.....bead loom patterns...etc. etc. etc.

These are some just off the top of my head.

Thanks Alan! I have always loved your blanks...I can see now why they are so intricate. The inlay stuff is REALLY amazing. Some of those designs have almost a floral or grass like look. That is GREAT inspiration for blanks. Something I intend to get into this year.

Penultimate

My inspiration comes from wanting to learn something new and try to make as much of the pen as possible. That's led me to make clips, rings and filling systems. The artistic part of pen making still alludes me after all these years.

jrista

This thread hasn't received much response... FWIW, I am not really looking for "answers" or anything like that. I was more just, trying to start a discussion. I guess maybe sources of inspiration might just be more of a private thing to people, which is ok. Still...I don't think there are answers here, or right or wrong in any way...if that's what's holding people back. ;)

jttheclockman

Not sure what you want but I get inspiration from everyday life. I get many pen ideas and inspiration from many members here past and present. I have over the almost 20 years I have been here, bookmarked a few outstanding ideas that I would love to try and some will be coming up. I also have bookmarked a couple that unfortunately the ideas passed with the members and this is one huge reason I will always explain any pen I make or any project I show here. There are no secrets I am hiding. I am currently casting many on tube clear cast pens with various themes from everyday encounters. Most have watch dials as the main object and trinkets built around them. But one thing I have always done and that is use the top brand pens as inspiration and ideas for segmenting. Just look up highend brand pens and you will see a ton of ideas. what you are going to get into is something I could never do so I stick to things I know I can do and that is true segmenting and not laser work. My mind is constantly coming up with ideas and I will never live long enough to complete what I want so I have to choose carefully. Some of my work gets good reviews here but I also know it is not what everyone looks for. I use pool cues of all brands as inspiration for segmented work. I stay away of locking into one form or style. I need to spread my wings and try new things but things that I know I can do. I am too old to learn new methods like what you are attempting or laser work or CNC work. There are too many things within my style of pen making that can be done and improved on. I love what I do and as I said anyone with questions I am right here. Not going anywhere. Ask away.

jrista

Not sure what you want but I get inspiration from everyday life. I get many pen ideas and inspiration from many members here past and present. I have over the almost 20 years I have been here, bookmarked a few outstanding ideas that I would love to try and some will be coming up. I also have bookmarked a couple that unfortunately the ideas passed with the members and this is one huge reason I will always explain any pen I make or any project I show here. There are no secrets I am hiding. I am currently casting many on tube clear cast pens with various themes from everyday encounters. Most have watch dials as the main object and trinkets built around them. But one thing I have always done and that is use the top brand pens as inspiration and ideas for segmenting. Just look up highend brand pens and you will see a ton of ideas. what you are going to get into is something I could never do so I stick to things I know I can do and that is true segmenting and not laser work. My mind is constantly coming up with ideas and I will never live long enough to complete what I want so I have to choose carefully. Some of my work gets good reviews here but I also know it is not what everyone looks for. I use pool cues of all brands as inspiration for segmented work. I stay away of locking into one form or style. I need to spread my wings and try new things but things that I know I can do. I am too old to learn new methods like what you are attempting or laser work or CNC work. There are too many things within my style of pen making that can be done and improved on. I love what I do and as I said anyone with questions I am right here. Not going anywhere. Ask away.

Thanks for the response, John. I was just looking for some discussion, which you've offered. I think you offer up some wisdom here as well...spread your wings, but focus on the things you know you can do.

I have only a couple of years or so under my belt. I haven't really found my groove like you yet. I love looking at the high end classic pen brands and their designs...I have been getting most of my inspirations there. Maybe I will find my groove this year, and I'll be able to find that focus.

FWIW, I have always found your pens inspirational.

Top Bottom