Improved Laser Segmented Cigar (2nd Pen)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

Today I finished up my 2nd attempt at laser segmenting a pen based on the process Richard Santos (amtechrs) developed and posted about in February. I think it turned out significantly better than my first attempt. I've had a few discussions with Richard and have made several tweaks in my design and processes. At least I thought this one turned out good enough to put it on a good Cigar kit. The kit is from Exotic Blanks and the blank was turned using Ed's Improved Fit Cigar Bushings.

The materials are Walnut, Cherry, and Padauk. The symmetry is improved from distorting the inlays for the blank before cutting them to compensate for the distortion which is caused by the taper in the turned blank. The center band end is quite a bit larger in diameter than the cap / clip end is. This kept the borders around the inlays from being clipped down like on the first one.

I took much more care in finishing than I did on the first one in order to minimize the problem with smearing the colors of the wood and the dreaded "white spots". I also swapped out the center inlay from a diamond shape to a heart shape.

Anyhow, here are the pictures starting out with a picture of the first one that shows where the symmetry is obviously lacking.

Regards,
Dave

First, a picture of the other pen that points out the distortion from the taper.
Note how the Cherry border around the Padauk inlays start ok at the center band, get narrower in the center, and then are virtually gone at the cap end.

Taper Distortion 2.jpg

These are the pictures of the 2nd pen with a blank that was adjusted to compensate for the taper.
Note the borders around the Cherry inlays are more uniform all the way from the cap end to the centerband.

IMG_4256 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4257 Cropped.jpg

IMG_4255 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4254 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Fascinating stuff Dave! Keep sharing your findings. As you learn, we all learn. Plus, it's cool that you and Richard are working together. Great collaboration.

SteveJ

Well done! You can fix the problem with a taper by using a different kit....

My first two attempts at this failed, and I didn't even try something as detailed! I keep losing some of those little pieces under my honeycomb bed...

Keep up the good work.

jrista

Amazing work, Dave! That must take some serious forethought to account for the necessary distortion. This round looks pretty darn good. Looking forward to your continued progress.

Kcimdrib

Dave fantastic result far too advanced for me. I'm still at the lathe and bandsaw level but I appreciate your skills and admire what you are doing keep it up.

RGABEL

If you use Lightburn you may want to checkout the warp function. It will automatically distort the image based on the tapered inputs you enter. (starting / ending diameter and length). It is widely used for tumbler engravings, but might work for this as well.

You could search YouTube videos for more information on it.

egnald

If you use Lightburn you may want to checkout the warp function. It will automatically distort the image based on the tapered inputs you enter. (starting / ending diameter and length). It is widely used for tumbler engravings, but might work for this as well.

You could search YouTube videos for more information on it.
That's exactly the function I am using to make adjustments to parts of the design! - Dave

TDahl

Excellent work. All of you laser segmenters are coming up with some really intricate and interesting designs. Definitely taking pen making to the next level.

egnald

Did you buy their Laser Rotery Roller, or did you use something else?
Yes, I have their roller axis, but I haven't used it yet. The blank was made as a square blank with inlays built essentially as a box with box joints on the corners and a 3/8 square dowel down the center (The black outline). Most of the dowel gets drilled out to fit the 10mm tube and then n about 2/3 of the rest of the box is turned away just like a standard pen blank leaving only what is left that is glued to the tube. The design comes from inlays that are cut and pressed into the side panels (the red and blue outlines).

I don't think my fat fingers would be able to deal with some of the intricate inlays that are done commercially starting out with round stock and a rotary axis.

Dave

Here is a screen grab of two of the sides of the box to give you an idea of how they fit together.

Capture.JPG

Lmstretch

That is neat. I didn't think doing it this way was an option, but your pens look great.
This is one of the things I like about pen turning, the only limit to what you can make is your imagination.

Top Bottom