Grizzly replacement parts. Overkill or worthless?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So the recalled replacement parts came in for my grizzly lathe. Tool base, tool rest and faceplate. Now everything looks like much better quality. The faceplate is really nice. My problem is with the tool base. The old one was 9" long with a nice pivot arm for the tool rest. The new one is a whopping 17" long with no pivot arm. I also have a custom 6" tool rest made by Rick and now my post won't work in the new rest because it's about an inch too long. I'll have to take that to a machine shop to cut it down. Doubt my 9" bandsaw would cut the metal. I sure will miss working with a pivot arm. The pivot arm will fit and work for longer projects, but on shorter projects, the locking handle is right up close to your body when turning. Personally, not a big fan of the upgrade.
1000006022.jpg
1000006023.jpg
1000006024.jpg
1000006026.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Bobby,
The steel I use for the toolrests can be cut with a hack saw, if you don't want to do that send it to me and I'll fix it for free, just pay shipping.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Well, Mine arrived, but it is still on the side entrance. (I'm not worried about it getting stolen here.) It weighs about 25 - 30 pounds. Doc told me under no circumstances to lift more than 5 pounds before re-hab begins. :oops: (I was told not to pick up a gallon of water-milk-tea until rehab starts - next week.) My daughter will be here this evening and I will let her drag it in. LOML says it is too heavy for her.

bsshog40

Well, Mine arrived, but it is still on the side entrance. (I'm not worried about it getting stolen here.) It weighs about 25 - 30 pounds. Doc told me under no circumstances to lift more than 5 pounds before re-hab begins. :oops: (I was told not to pick up a gallon of water-milk-tea until rehab starts - next week.) My daughter will be here this evening and I will let her drag it in. LOML says it is too heavy for her.
Yea, that base has some weight to it for sure.

Top Bottom