Fountain Pen Sales

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

There haven't been that many new posts lately so I'll ask a question about fountain pen users. Many years ago when I just started selling a man asked if I sold fountain pens and I said no. Truthfully I didn't know anything about them except the one I got a high school graduation that had a little pump lever on the side as i recall. Since I push really hard when I write I think I quickly ruined it. Now I've learned a little about fountain pens and it's another vortex that one can easily get sucked into. Since I rarely or if ever sell pens now, rather give them as gifts I'm not sure friends and family would be all that excited about a fountain pen as apposed to a rollerball. The solution would be pens like the Junior series that can be converted so they could have their choice. From a learning perspective I'd love to get into bespoke pen making but I'm not sure what I'd do with them. I'm curious what others have found regarding fountain pens, do they sell? What per cent like fountain pens vs rollerball? Is there a typical buyer? More men or women? I would think the bespoke pen buyers would be collectors and maybe have several?

Quite the ramble, snowy morning and maybe too much coffee. Thanks for your replies, I really am curious regarding your experience with fountain pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Martin G

I haven't sold many pens of any kind but this Christmas I was talking to my siblings about a fountain pen I had made for my brother in law. I was quite surprised when my older sister expressed an interest in having a fountain pen. I had planned on making her a pen this spring anyway but I was thinking of a ball point or a roller ball. I showed her some that I had already done. She chose the Majestic Junior. I had already bought a Diamondcast Red Dragon blank for her when I was at SWAT last August. I made the pen last week. It came out very nice. She hasn't seen it yet but I'm sure she'll be pleased.

So that's my long winded way of saying there may be more people out there who would use a fountain pen that you think. I'm sure someone with more knowledge and experience of the market will chime in too.

hallelujahal

Everyone I talk to about the pens I turn express interest in fountain pensā€¦my son wanted one immediately and my eldest daughter and husband requested one each for birthdays, even my wife wanted one. Friends and family alike eyes light up when they see one. All this came as a surprise to me because none of them are fountain pen users normally. This is my long winded way of saying that I think that they're now seen as being a bit niche, a bit special, and quality kind of item that takes the pen way beyond just its simple purpose. I think they're becoming 'cool' again. šŸ¤”

hooked

I recently got into "kitless" pens mostly due to wanting more input into the pen's design. I also do not sell pens, but I do occasionally get people who want to buy pens after they see one or are gifted one. I thought I would learn kitless more as a learning challenge without expecting friends and family to want fountain pens. I quickly learned that a fountain pen is not the only output for kitless pen making. I have made rollerballs, pencils, and will try a fiber tip soon.

Some retailers, like Beaufort and I believe Exotic Blanks, sell rollerball nibs designed to work with a fountain pen converter. Beaufort also sells the tap needed for the rollerball nib which is different than the tap needed for the FP nib. I have started making two sections for my pens to give to people. One is for a fountain pen nib, and the other is for a rollerball nib. Both use the same converter for ink. I also give a little bottle of ink, a couple of disposable ink cartridges, and instructions on how to fill the pen. This gives the recipient an opportunity to try a fountain pen nib and have the rollerball as a backup if they do not like it.

I had done this with 5 pens I gifted at work during the holidays. I am very surprised that almost 2 months after gifting these pens, I see 4 people using the fountain pen nib at work.

jttheclockman

I do not sell fountain pens and probably never will. I do not want to have to learn another whole lesson on pen making. The idea of making a kitless pen maybe in my future at some time but just do not find a need for it. There are so many neat kits and classy kits out there I could not even come close to same quality. Having to buy a metal lathe and having no room is another factor. I have never had a customer ask me for a fountain pen at my shows. Not sure where they fit in the everyday use other than they probably are a niche item and used mainly as a desk pen. Just way too much work to keep tuned and cleaned and working well. That everyday pull out your pocket pen still holds the king of the mountain title in my eyes. Everyone is different and we all meet different people so your thoughts I am sure will be different. Good luck.

monophoto

My name is Louie and I'm a fountain pen addict.

There are quite a few fountain pen users around, and the community may actually be growing gradually. Some of us are old farts, but amazingly there are many younger people who have found that they like fountain pens. And as David said, its also a vortex and can be an adult hobby (translation: expensive toys). For example, fountain pen users also tend to get excited about specialty writing paper and note pads, pen cases, inks, and related paraphernalia.

There are two broad groups within the fountain pen community - collectors and users. Collectors are really only interested in older, name-brand pens, so they are not likely to be much of a market for pen turners. Users are a different matter, but even there, my sense is that fountain pen users are very fussy about performance, and my experience with fountain pen kits is that performance can be erratic. That may be less of a concern in the bespoke community because the quality of the components and workmanship is better, but I don't see fountain pen users getting all that excited about kit pens.

I've made a few kit pens for myself, and one is in my 'daily rotation'. I also have one that my wife purchased for me,, and a few years ago a friend asked me to make a fountain pen for him. But I don't sell pens, and today I rarely make them since everyone who I would give a pen to already has at least one.

More Grumpy

Well Martin, let me warn you THIS will be long winded!
First, Reddit has a dedicated page for fountain pen users and anyone who doubts that there are buyers need to check it out.
Second, I have been involved in the auction business for the past 35 years on a part time basis (wood working the rest of my time). Several years ago we were called in to sell off the assets of the sole importer to the US of a major Italian pen manufacturer, not to mention Omas by namešŸ˜œ. We got to hold and examine all of these beautiful pens. We cataloged each pen and conducted a live auction that was broarcast on the internet with bidders around the world. We held a preview where potential bidders could come in and examine each pen.
When I saw the passion of these folks, wearing their white gloves, and in total awe of these pens I told my collegues that when I retire I was going to make pens. Soooo... here I am now!! I'm cartainly not in the same class,but I'm having a ball.
Some of the pens we sold went for thousands of dollars, in fact several of their commerative pens went well over $10,000! We shipped pens all over the world.
There are the collectors, and there are the users. The main benefit to a fountain pen is the large selection of ink colors and that the Pen and Ink artist can use. Fountain pen users typically write quite a bit, like in journals. Now that just opens a whole new oportunity, fountain pen users prefer paper that is acid free and neutral PH. Take a look at Exotic Blanks for inks and paper that are availablefor your add on sales.

Velcrodog

There haven't been that many new posts lately so I'll ask a question about fountain pen users. Many years ago when I just started selling a man asked if I sold fountain pens and I said no. Truthfully I didn't know anything about them except the one I got a high school graduation that had a little pump lever on the side as i recall. Since I push really hard when I write I think I quickly ruined it. Now I've learned a little about fountain pens and it's another vortex that one can easily get sucked into. Since I rarely or if ever sell pens now, rather give them as gifts I'm not sure friends and family would be all that excited about a fountain pen as apposed to a rollerball. The solution would be pens like the Junior series that can be converted so they could have their choice. From a learning perspective I'd love to get into bespoke pen making but I'm not sure what I'd do with them. I'm curious what others have found regarding fountain pens, do they sell? What per cent like fountain pens vs rollerball? Is there a typical buyer? More men or women? I would think the bespoke pen buyers would be collectors and maybe have several?

Quite the ramble, snowy morning and maybe too much coffee. Thanks for your replies, I really am curious regarding your experience with fountain pens.
Always liked fountain pens. My handwriting sucks but seems to be better using a fountain pen. Used one at work when I could and helped several coworkers pick one out. 25 years ago on one of my trips to Paris, I scored two very nice ones I still use. Have a couple of turned ones as well. They can be a little messy at times but worth it to me. I would guess there would be some interest in selling these ss somewhat upscale items with mybe an exotic wood.

goldendj

making but I'm not sure what I'd do with them. I'm curious what others have found regarding fountain pens, do they sell? What per cent like fountain pens vs rollerball? Is there a typical buyer? More men or women? I would think the bespoke pen buyers would be collectors and maybe have several?
I don't sell because my wife gives my pens away as fast as I make them, but fountain pens were by far the most popular during her time at Naval War College...

mmayo

We have all of the kinds of pen possible. We have fountain pen only, rollerball only and convertible fountain pen AND rollerball. We sell mostly rollerball pens followed by convertible. If available I'd make all my current rollerball pens with a convertible option. The problem is that though they might have a chrome fountain pen nib as an option, they rarely have gun, antique silver etc. as options.

Many folks talk about fountain pens, hold them and then buy a rollerball or convertible pen option.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Fountain pens require maintenance. They typically need to be used frequently or the ink will dry in the nib, requiring flushing. The nib can easily become deformed and need adjustment.

So, if you want to sell fountain pens, learn about the nib and feed system as well as how to "break them in" to the users writing angles.

Kit nibs are mediocre, but can be adjusted to write pretty well. Dayacom uses Jowo nibs, which are generally accepted to be a pretty good nib.
"Great" nibs are gold and usually start around $150 -JUST FOR THE NIB. Fountain pen users know this, you should too.

That's a start--no we don't provide a class on nibs, but there are places on the internet where you can learn--easiest is YouTube. Goulet Pens,
Meisternibs are both great resources.

Yes, you can sell a fountain pen for hundreds of dollars (I have), but only if you "speak their language". Good luck

Darios

and anyone who doubts that there are buyers need to check it out.
Anyone tracking on a documentary or a show about fountain pens? I can't remember what/when I saw parts of it, but I remember it going on about pen shows, specialty inks, and pens going for 5 and 6 figures.

When I saw the passion of these folks, wearing their white gloves

Yeah - that. Even though my EDC is a quality fountain pen (anniversary gift), these guys scare me.

rixstix

From what I have seen, people seem to like the look of fountain pens. They 'want' a fountain pen but have an expectation that the pen will 'write' every time they pick it up regardless of how long it has been since the last use. They have little desire to perform any maintenance. Therefore, they get disappointed and either toss the pen or put it in a displayā€¦ never to be used again. Where it might end up in the case is proportional to the 'magpie' effect based on the amount of shiny parts.

That is one reason why I have started working on using the fiber tips instead. A person can get a look and feel that is similar to a fountain pen. You get the choice of inks available to fountain pen users but have none of the maintenance associated with fountain pens. If it dries out, soak in water, rinse and load with ink.

The downside is the somewhat fragile nature of the fiber tip.

I have never picked up a kit fountain pen that I could write with without initial work and regular maintenance with 1 exception. The Bock nibs in the Bullseye Turning Apollo kit wrote first time and writes every time; even after a month or so sitting idle.

Chasper

Wondering if there is a market for hand made fountain pens? Go to a pen show. Arrive early on a Saturday morning and see the crowds lining up and waiting for the gates to open. Walk shoulder to shoulder through the displays with people who have a passion for making, selling and especially for buying fountain pens. Google The Well Appointed Desk for list of pen shows.

I sell a few hundred fountain pens every year, a hundred or so fewer rollerballs. I don't sell at pen shows, that is mostly a kitless market. You may have your manhood or womanhood challenged if you admit to making component pens around hard core fountain pen users. I don't sell at pen shows, but I make a few kitless pens. With the right one-of-a-kind blank that shows off significant artistry with a dose of flamboyance, a kit pen can be sold twice as fast and for twice as much as a kitless pen at high end art show.

As has been mentioned before, if you want to play with the big pen dogs, you need to talk the language of nibs. To do that you need to immerse yourself into fountain pens and nibs for a couple years. There isn't much to know that you can't learn online with a little searching. But if you really want be a fountain pen insider, make a few fountain pens and buy a bunch of assorted nibs. Then invest some time using and experiencing what have learned. You may develop a passion for fountain pens too.

dogcatcher

I made a fountain pen for our granddaughter, she us a freshman in high school. That pen has generated all kinds of questions from her and some of her friends. I made it as a novelty for her with the intention of only making one more for our grandson. After these 2 if anyone wants want I will send them to the local office supply house to spend a $100 for a fountain pen.

I did not like them 60 years ago, and I still don't like them today.

Rob_Mc

I always have a few fountain pens with me at any market I go to. As others have said, they are a niche item. You'll find that people that like fountain pens, love fountain pens! Most of my fountain pen buyers seem to be of Asian or east Indian descent. I believe they still use them in schools in those regions so there is a personal connection for them. A handful of fountain pens and a few higher end convertible options is always a good idea if you're selling at a market.

derekdd

I've had a couple fountain pen commissions recently with two more on the way. I'm just doing kits at this point with no real desire to do kitless. That might change down the line.

I like the advice @Chasper provides. I'm a rollerball guy but I think I'll make myself a fountain pen as a sig pen to get acquainted with how they works, maintenance, and nibs. I'm building inventory for a couple of smaller shows later this summer/early fall and will include fountain pens and a matching fountain/rollerball set.

Todd in PA

My name is Louie and I'm a fountain pen addict.

Hi, Louie!! ;)

Considering how expensive good commercial fountain pens are, you might ask yourself why people buy them. One answer is that a fountain pen genuinely provides an elevated writing experience. The tactile feel of the nib on the paper, and the flow of ink from the lightest touch of the surface is delightful to someone who enjoys the act of writing. Add to that the custom ink colors plus the variety of nibs-- and you really can see that there is something going on here that is worth tuning into as pen makers.

I'm a fountain pen enthusiast. I wasn't before I started making pens about two years ago.

I'm also a guy who enjoys a lot of personal writing in a journal. I have gifted fountain pens to other people I know who journal, and the feedback is overwhelmingly positive. Some of them have come back to buy a fountain pen for someone else that they want to share their elevated writing experience with. So it's good for my sales a little bit that way I suppose. I just want people to enjoy the pens that I make, surely more than I want to make money at it. Hearing that someone LOVES the pen I made is probably worth more to me than the $80 I made selling it.

In my experience, people don't wake up one day seeking an expensive old-fashioned pen that they don't know how to use. Rather, they get invited into it by someone who already has some passion for it.

I try to be that guy.

mikeschn

Hey @montmill @monophoto @Todd in PA @ed4copies

I am a fountain pen addict too! I started out mostly with the Jinhao, and then quickly moved on to some other Chinese pens, which were suprisingly good. Then I started making fountain pens from kits, but the ones I tried dried out too quickly. Then I found Kate and her Apollo's and they didn't dry out, and I was hooked. The Schmidt nibs are every bit as good as all the other manufactured nibs I have here. So here I am trying all different kinds of shapes and sizes and materials in fountain pens. I don't know where this will take me, but I am having fun, and I am building my collection of fountain pens. The only problem I have is the fountain pens don't fit in my 64 pen case from PSI because the pens are too long. And I'm like some of you guys, the pens I make I either keep, or give away to family and friends. I don't sell any!

I also just received some Atrax kits from Ed, so I am going to give those a try next. I'll do the closed end version of the pen. I will probably use the clip, but I am not sure if I will turn my own finial, or use the one in the kit. So many things to try. So little time!

Mike...

IMG_6502a.jpg

Last edited:

derekdd

Hi, Louie!! ;)

Considering how expensive good commercial fountain pens are, you might ask yourself why people buy them. One answer is that a fountain pen genuinely provides an elevated writing experience. The tactile feel of the nib on the paper, and the flow of ink from the lightest touch of the surface is delightful to someone who enjoys the act of writing. Add to that the custom ink colors plus the variety of nibs-- and you really can see that there is something going on here that is worth tuning into as pen makers.

I'm a fountain pen enthusiast. I wasn't before I started making pens about two years ago.

I'm also a guy who enjoys a lot of personal writing in a journal. I have gifted fountain pens to other people I know who journal, and the feedback is overwhelmingly positive. Some of them have come back to buy a fountain pen for someone else that they want to share their elevated writing experience with. So it's good for my sales a little bit that way I suppose. I just want people to enjoy the pens that I make, surely more than I want to make money at it. Hearing that someone LOVES the pen I made is probably worth more to me than the $80 I made selling it.

In my experience, people don't wake up one day seeking an expensive old-fashioned pen that they don't know how to use. Rather, they get invited into it by someone who already has some passion for it.

I try to be that guy.
Todd, do you have a kit out there you like, or are you building kitless?

I just made a couple for friends and they both asked for PSI's Graduate kit. I was less than impressed due to the magnetic cap and low quality nib. The pens look great and both guys are pleased enough they are talking about commissioning more from me. I would rather steer them toward something better made.

I think I'll turn one for me so I, too can tumble down this rabbit hole. I'm currently reading through Richard Binder's beginner's blog. Thanks for any info you might have.

@mikeschn what kit is that in your photo? Looks very elegant. Thanks.

mikeschn

Todd, do you have a kit out there you like, or are you building kitless?

I just made a couple for friends and they both asked for PSI's Graduate kit. I was less than impressed due to the magnetic cap and low quality nib. The pens look great and both guys are pleased enough they are talking about commissioning more from me. I would rather steer them toward something better made.

I think I'll turn one for me so I, too can tumble down this rabbit hole. I'm currently reading through Richard Binder's beginner's blog. Thanks for any info you might have.

@mikeschn what kit is that in your photo? Looks very elegant. Thanks.
@derekdd

That's the Apollo from Kate over at Bullseye... in the link be sure to drop down the fountain pen choice, otherwise you'll be looking at a rollerball

I also got a few Atrax from Ed that I am going to try. Here is his video on that...

Mike...

derekdd

@derekdd

That's the Apollo from Kate over at Bullseye... in the link be sure to drop down the fountain pen choice, otherwise you'll be looking at a rollerball

I also got a few Atrax from Ed that I am going to try. Here is his video on that...

Mike...
Thanks, Mike.

I've looked at that kit and a couple of videos. A bit more complicated than my PSI kits. However, I'm interested so I may take the plunge and give one a shot.

Thanks again for the info and video.

Derek

Dannv

@Martin G @Todd in PA

Really? It rarely dries out? I've been looking for something like that... Where do you get them? Do you have to buy the rollerball and a conversion kit, or do you have a source for the fountain pens?
Exotic Blanks and AZ both carry Dayacom kits. Any JR with a #6 nib will behave the same. The only difference is the trim. You can get FP kits.e

Martin G

@Martin G @Todd in PA

Really? It rarely dries out? I've been looking for something like that... Where do you get them? Do you have to buy the rollerball and a conversion kit, or do you have a source for the fountain pens?
I have also found that storing the pen horizontal rather than vertical (except when it is in my pocket) seems to help keep it from drying out. Of course, as others have said, any fountain pen will dry out if you do not use it.

Top Bottom