EDC Whitetail Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

Still playing with antler. Really enjoying that with the laser. I'm also still tweeking my process on how to get a better final product. Also Thanks Again for those who shared drill the antler on the lathe. Unbelievable how much easier and accurate that is. Anyway I had this piece drilled and ready to turn so I wanted to play with some different images and see how they look when rather small. Questions and Comments are always Welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4237.jpeg
    IMG_4237.jpeg
    706.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    738.1 KB · Views: 54
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Great job. Limitless opportunities ahead. I have some red deer antler I need to get at. Different than white tail or mule deer they're straight. Son in law's father had a red deer farm before CWD became a problem.
I've found that Axis Deer Antler makes the best pens. They're pretty much solid except for a small hole. I use the hole for a pilot hole. Whitetail are hit and miss on density. Fallow are the worst. Never tried Red Deer or had the opportunity to look at it.

JohnU

Beautifully done Kenny! I agree with you about the Axis deer. Great antler to work with. Whitetail are ok. Elk are very thin on the outer layer and show lots of marrow. I've done a little moose that was ok as long as it was the points and not the palmed flat surface. I'm curious to see how the red deer turn out.

Kenny Durrant

I agree John. I've found that the smaller Whitetail seems to be the best. I have some Moose antler I picked up on a vacation to Alaska. I bought it from a local knife maker. It's a piece of the palm from the base of where the tines start. It's solid with a lot of grey streaks mixed in. Very pretty stuff.

Top Bottom