Cork Pen Blanks - Sale Pending

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chaz

Brown River cork pen blanks

~.75" x ~.75" x ~6"
2 blanks for $10
Shipping = $7. Lower 48 ONLY

Cork is a wonderful material for pen grips. It feels great in the hand

Cork like this is often referred to, generically, as "burl". It's not burl. It is, however, a composite cork formulated to produce a "river" effect, that looks like burl.
Stable in use, provided sharp tools are used, including drill bits. Drilling will sometimes produce a hole that fits extremely close to the tube. Tight fit. Using the tube as a reamer can help. When turning, leave the work piece prouder than you might with wood or plastics before sanding.

PXL_20231105_143821698.MP.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

That is the same material as rings used for building custom fishing rod grips. No need for tools, sandpaper works great. Did it for seven years.

Chaz

That is the same material as rings used for building custom fishing rod grips. No need for tools, sandpaper works great. Did it for seven years.
I think a sharp skew works much better than sandpaper alone.
And yeah, they use cork for rod grips. They use it for all sorts of things. Now you can use it for pen making. Is this a great country or what?

And hey, using sandpaper to form your work piece is cheating. Sandpaper is for finishing ;-)

Last edited:

wimkluck

I think a sharp skew works much better than sandpaper alone.
And yeah, they use cork for rod grips. They use it for all sorts of things. Now you can use it for pen making. Is this a great country or what?

And hey, using sandpaper to form your work piece is cheating. Sandpaper is for finishing ;-)
No, a skew will not do the job. A friend of my is a woodturner and a rodbuilder, fly fishing, he turns it with a straight razor knife or sandpaper.

Chaz

No, a skew will not do the job.
Yes it will. It takes material down much faster than sandpaper alone. Ordinarily, I can use a skew well enough that I can start sanding with 320 grit. Spindle turning tools all work, but a sharp skew gives the best result. I recommend starting with 180 for sanding.

A friend of my is a woodturner and a rodbuilder, fly fishing, he turns it with a straight razor knife or sandpaper.
Good for your friend. You can do it his way if you want. I would say that using a razor knife on a lathe to be irresponsible at best

AND

What are you doing coming on my marketplace post and harshing my offer and advice?
If you want to talk about techniques for turning cork, pros/cons, I'd respectfully suggest/insist you start a new thread in an appropriate forum

Top Bottom