Christmas in May - Found OLD pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I had a bit of Christmas this afternoon, at least it felt like Christmas, as I found over a hundred old pen kits that have been packed since the summer of 2010.

Over the past 9 to 10 years, I have been making 3 to 5 pens a year, Cigars and Sierra/Elegant Beauties, while doing quite a bit of other woodworking, in addition to church growth consulting and assisting in the rebuilding rural churches - (Part time work that is full time, If you know what I mean). Since late February of this year, I have been spending more time in my shop, trying to make more room to bump up the pen turning a bit. I have a hoard of pens and pen equipment still stored from when I was in Japan, and that I brought back with me when returned to the USA a few days before Christmas in 2010. However, I had forgotten about them. Since returning from Japan, I did set up my Rikon lathe, and bought a 16" (diameter) Grizzly G4062 lathe (in 2012) and have used that to make a few larger turnings that turned out well.

Since my unexpected cardio-bypass surgery in January, and being limited from doing heavy woodwork because of that, I started itching to get back into turning pens more on a regular basis. And since I have been turning Cigars and Sierra types occasionally for the past 9 - 10 years, I have only needed those bushings. About March, I started looking for my hoard of bushings (organized, labeled and in box) for other pens. I have hunted and hunted for them during March, April and till today in May. In the process, I found a several packs of kits from when I was in Japan: a pack of 50 Cigars, a pack of about 40 Sierra and Elegant Beauty; a few Aero; two Emperors, About 10 Jr Gents, and 10 Barons; about 50 slimline, a few click pens & some pencils from Penn State, a pack of Teacher's pens and another pack of odds and end pens from way back when and some yo-yo kits.

I know that I will need to change out the ink refills in those old kits as I doubt they work after 15 years in storage. I found my bushings in two cases behind some "lathe chucks in their boxes" on a shelf. I also found a whole set of 6" x 12" MicroMesh and a bunch more items, including some prize persimmon ebony given to me by a friend in Japan back in the early 2000's.

It has been a rewarding afternoon, and now I need to go and re-organize to make room for quick access to all my "new" stuff.

I really need ORGANIZE badly! A friend on this forum sent me a cigar pen blank last month that I needed to turn for a daughter's birthday. Not thinking, I put one part in on the wrong end and needed to use a HF punch to back it out. I looked and looked for my punch set. Could not find it. While at Cardio-Rehab 30 miles away the next day, I picked up another set of HF punches. As soon as I got home and put it on the shelf, - back behind a box of blanks was the punch set I was looking for. And today, I found another set of punches still in the box that I had in Japan. Three sets of HF punches, and with a couple of hidden calipers, I now have 5 sets of calipers and one micrometer.

I need to clean out my shop of toooo many tools. I am ready to get back to making a pen or two or three weekly.

All in all, it was a good afternoon, but I need more space.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

I had a bit of Christmas this afternoon, at least it felt like Christmas, as I found over a hundred old pen kits that have been packed since the summer of 2010.

Over the past 9 to 10 years, I have been making 3 to 5 pens a year, Cigars and Sierra/Elegant Beauties, while doing quite a bit of other woodworking, in addition to church growth consulting and assisting in the rebuilding rural churches - (Part time work that is full time, If you know what I mean). Since late February of this year, I have been spending more time in my shop, trying to make more room to bump up the pen turning a bit. I have a hoard of pens and pen equipment still stored from when I was in Japan, and that I brought back with me when returned to the USA a few days before Christmas in 2010. However, I had forgotten about them. Since returning from Japan, I did set up my Rikon lathe, and bought a 16" (diameter) Grizzly G4062 lathe (in 2012) and have used that to make a few larger turnings that turned out well.

Since my unexpected cardio-bypass surgery in January, and being limited from doing heavy woodwork because of that, I started itching to get back into turning pens more on a regular basis. And since I have been turning Cigars and Sierra types occasionally for the past 9 - 10 years, I have only needed those bushings. About March, I started looking for my hoard of bushings (organized, labeled and in box) for other pens. I have hunted and hunted for them during March, April and till today in May. In the process, I found a several packs of kits from when I was in Japan: a pack of 50 Cigars, a pack of about 40 Sierra and Elegant Beauty; a few Aero; two Emperors, About 10 Jr Gents, and 10 Barons; about 50 slimline, a few click pens & some pencils from Penn State, a pack of Teacher's pens and another pack of odds and end pens from way back when and some yo-yo kits.

I know that I will need to change out the ink refills in those old kits as I doubt they work after 15 years in storage. I found my bushings in two cases behind some "lathe chucks in their boxes" on a shelf. I also found a whole set of 6" x 12" MicroMesh and a bunch more items, including some prize persimmon ebony given to me by a friend in Japan back in the early 2000's.

It has been a rewarding afternoon, and now I need to go and re-organize to make room for quick access to all my "new" stuff.

I really need ORGANIZE badly! A friend on this forum sent me a cigar pen blank last month that I needed to turn for a daughter's birthday. Not thinking, I put one part in on the wrong end and needed to use a HF punch to back it out. I looked and looked for my punch set. Could not find it. While at Cardio-Rehab 30 miles away the next day, I picked up another set of HF punches. As soon as I got home and put it on the shelf, - back behind a box of blanks was the punch set I was looking for. And today, I found another set of punches still in the box that I had in Japan. Three sets of HF punches, and with a couple of hidden calipers, I now have 5 sets of calipers and one micrometer.

I need to clean out my shop of toooo many tools. I am ready to get back to making a pen or two or three weekly.

It's always so fun to find something you socked away, esp years later and just when you have a renewed interest.

Jans husband

Hank,
Glad to hear your recovery seems to be going well
Your post shows us why this hobby is so expensive. You have at least 10 of everything!!!!
Regards

Mike

Top Bottom