Cellulose Acetate and Ebonite Fountain Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hooked

hooked

I haven't posted any pens lately, so I thought I would show a couple I just finished. Two pens. I originally was making one body and cap but didn't like the way they looked together, so I ended up making two pens. Once it is buffed, this cellulose acetate has some amazing depth and colors. It looks incredible in the sun. Nice stuff.

The black ebonite cap on my second pen was a test for my sanding and buffing process. I think my buffing process passed the test.

Cellulose Acetate (Kyoto material: Turner's Workshop)
Black Ebonite (SEM: Vermont Freehand)
Brass accents
Jowo #6 Nib

1714242287224.png

1714242313595.png

1714242363554.png

1714242446227.png

1714242499945.png

1714242533700.png

1714242563166.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

I haven't posted any pens lately, so I thought I would show a couple I just finished. Two pens. I originally was making one body and cap but didn't like the way they looked together, so I ended up making two pens. Once it is buffed, this cellulose acetate has some amazing depth and colors. It looks incredible in the sun. Nice stuff.

The black ebonite cap on my second pen was a test for my sanding and buffing process. I think my buffing process passed the test.

Brass accents
Jowo #6 Nib

View attachment 372427

View attachment 372428

View attachment 372429

View attachment 372431

View attachment 372432

View attachment 372433

View attachment 372434
Incredible work, a level that I aspire to attain. I love seeing your work on here.

NJturner

I just LOVE this pen! I think it is the epitome of the quality of pen I strive to make! If I may - how did you find working with the cellulose acetate? I understand it is very sensitive to heat? Also, love the brass accents and the top finial - did you custom make the finial and cut your own brass? Not looking to copy, but would love to be pointed in the right direction as I continue my path in this fun craft

hooked

I just LOVE this pen! I think it is the epitome of the quality of pen I strive to make! If I may - how did you find working with the cellulose acetate? I understand it is very sensitive to heat? Also, love the brass accents and the top finial - did you custom make the finial and cut your own brass? Not looking to copy, but would love to be pointed in the right direction as I continue my path in this fun craft
Cellulose acetate turns very easily but is extremely heat-sensitive. This is a cellulose acetate made by Erinoid and described as fully cured. I found this material easier to work with than vintage cellulose acetate tubes I have worked with. The vintage stuff seems to warp if you look at it wrong. Slow drilling with lubrication and a small break after every few passes made it problem-free. It threads easily and shines like nothing else once buffed.

I make my brass rings. I do laser engrave and use metal stamping for finial coins myself, but not this one. This finial coin is a 3-D printing design, my maker's mark. I use a company called Shapeways that utilizes a lost wax casting process of my 3-D design and casts my coins out of silver, brass, copper, bronze, gold, or platinum. I am gathering the tools and knowledge to do this myself, but for now, I have my higher-end finial coins made for me. I am enrolled in a jewelry-making class for lost wax casting that starts in June. Hopefully, I will be able to do it myself after that class.

Sean Newton has a video on using Blender to make finial coins, which would be my recommended route for learning how to make these. That is where I found out about Shapeways.

NJturner

Cellulose acetate turns very easily but is extremely heat-sensitive. This is a cellulose acetate made by Erinoid and described as fully cured. I found this material easier to work with than vintage cellulose acetate tubes I have worked with. The vintage stuff seems to warp if you look at it wrong. Slow drilling with lubrication and a small break after every few passes made it problem-free. It threads easily and shines like nothing else once buffed.

I make my brass rings. I do laser engrave and use metal stamping for finial coins myself, but not this one. This finial coin is a 3-D printing design, my maker's mark. I use a company called Shapeways that utilizes a lost wax casting process of my 3-D design and casts my coins out of silver, brass, copper, bronze, gold, or platinum. I am gathering the tools and knowledge to do this myself, but for now, I have my higher-end finial coins made for me. I am enrolled in a jewelry-making class for lost wax casting that starts in June. Hopefully, I will be able to do it myself after that class.

Sean Newton has a video on using Blender to make finial coins, which would be my recommended route for learning how to make these. That is where I found out about Shapeways.
Thank you so much for the detailed answer. As I said, your pen is a great challenge to all of us to make something so stunning!

I have some old Ceboplast I bought years ago and am slowly getting to the point where I want to turn it, but as you said, look at it funny and it moves! The cellulose acetate looks like a good middle ground to try.

Good luck with the lost wax process. It is interesting and hard but gives some unique pieces. I've tried sandcasting with aluminum and brass and it's not easy on larger parts - hopefully wax is easier!

Thank you again for sharing!

sorins

Brass accents
Jowo #6 Nib

View attachment 372427

View attachment 372428

View attachment 372429

View attachment 372431

View attachment 372432

View attachment 372433

View attachment 372434
That's an amazing work! Unbelievable looks of both of them and your fine skills are visible in every detail! Chapeau!

vanagas

Brass accents
Jowo #6 Nib

View attachment 372427

View attachment 372428

View attachment 372429

View attachment 372431

View attachment 372432

View attachment 372433

View attachment 372434
Man, I couldn't believe my eyes. And I think my english is not enaugh to explain what I have felt when I saw your pens :)
Jealous? No. I think this is something like dreaming "uhhhm, will I do pens like them one day?"
They are really good.
Bravo šŸ¤Œ

Top Bottom