Black Paint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This question is for those who use epoxy resins for casting such as Liquid Diamonds. I have a couple ideas I want to do but it require different colored items such as watch gears. Has any one tried painting them say black or red and cast them? If so what was the results and what was the paint you used? I will probably give this a try but thought I would throw the question out there first. I do not want to powdercoat these. Too much work to set up for a few gears and trinkets. Also did you have to prep the gears in some way such as acid wash or something less drastic? I am not looking to paint tubes. I do not want to know about Silmar41 or Alumilite because I will not be using that. I have tried using a black magic marker permanent but that ate the paint and smeared it within the resin and yes it was dry. Thank you in advance. If you have photos I sure would like to see them. I know some people do paintings but what resin are you using to cast so that maybe a possible answer too.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I dont use epoxy much anymore, mostly urethane and polyester resin. Using normal spray paint I have had it shrivel and lift. I now use high temp paint for engines and grills with success. I've also had good luck with nail polish. If you don't want it thick from brushing, It can be sprayed with an air gun if you thin it down with lacquer thinner. Clear nail polish works well in resin also. I like Sally Hansen brand.

derekdd

I dont use epoxy much anymore, mostly urethane and polyester resin. Using normal spray paint I have had it shrivel and lift. I now use high temp paint for engines and grills with success. I've also had good luck with nail polish. If you don't want it thick from brushing, It can be sprayed with an air gun if you thin it down with lacquer thinner. Clear nail polish works well in resin also. I like Sally Hansen brand.
Good information, John, thanks.

Do you get many rude comments when you go shopping for nail polish at Sally's Beauty Supply?

TDahl

I have used nail polish with UV and PR resin with much success. Many colors to choose from (for painting pen parts of course.)

Derek, I have not been brave enough to buy the polish in-person. I order mine through Amazon which of course arrives in discreet packaging 😆.

derekdd

I have used nail polish with UV and PR resin with much success. Many colors to choose from (for painting pen parts of course.)

Derek, I have not been brave enough to buy the polish in-person. I order mine through Amazon which of course arrives in discreet packaging 😆.
I'm a musician and used to regularly gig in nice restaurants playing solo jazz guitar fingerstyle in KC for a decade or so. You know, sonic wallpaper, music to eat by.

I'd get the nails on my right hand, picking hand, done about once per month because the steel strings would eat them up.

I'm 6'6" 250, and bald. You should have seen the looks from the gals when I'd go into the local salon to get them done. I'd just smile and leave'em guessing.

jrista

Would an enamel work? Enamels also bond pretty well and dry hard.

JohnU

Would an enamel work? Enamels also bond pretty well and dry hard.
It's been a while but I believe I've used enamels in the past with no issues. Allowing proper drying time is the key with them. I believe you can "bake" them in the oven at a low temp to harden them.

jttheclockman

It's been a while but I believe I've used enamels in the past with no issues. Allowing proper drying time is the key with them. I believe you can "bake" them in the oven at a low temp to harden them.
That maybe an idea too. I will do a test run on a blank when I put some blanks I have made up in the pot soon.

Top Bottom