Baron Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I got an order for a number of Baron's in figured wood. Have never done this one before so I thought best to do a "test run". When I drilled the blank, the tube(s) went in the holes a bit too easy for my liking. They'll be okay once the epoxy sets, but I'm wondering: 1 - Is this "normal" for this pen? and: 2 - Are there any other things "unique" to the build of this really nice looking rollerball?
Thanks in advance,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I've encountered this situation many times before on various pen kits and blank materials and it can be attributed to a lot of different things.

Everything has a tolerance. Most inexpensive drill bits are manufactured to the low side of their tolerance. The factors that drive this include an assumption of the tolerance, concentricity, and runout (TIR) of the drilling process which not only includes the bit itself but also the drill, chuck, the characteristics of the material being drilled, and the holding mechanism for the material. In addition, for precision machining, it is desirable to have the drill provide a slightly undersized hole so the more precision reamers can do their job correctly.

For example, according to a precision cutting tools chart that I use, a standard 1/2 inch twist drill has a typical manufacturing tolerance of -0.0077" to +0.002.

Even though most drill bits themselves are manufactured to the low end of the tolerance, the holes that they produce are almost always oversized because of these factors. Drilling a softer, more resilient material on a well aligned lathe using precise tools such as a four jaw chuck to hold the work and collet chuck to hold the drill bit instead of a Jacobs chuck, can provide a hole that is even smaller than the specified dimension of the drill bit.

That being said, my process is to measure the tube with calipers, then depending on how resilient the material is, softer woods, harder woods, plastics, stone composites, etc., and whether or not I am planning to paint the inside of the blank, I choose a drill that seems to be appropriate based on the drills that are just slightly larger or smaller than what the tube measured remembering that I can always make the hole a little bigger - but it is problematic to make the hole smaller.

For example, the Baron instructions from Berea specify 25/64 and 15/32 for the body and cap respectively. Note that I typically tried to keep my spread to around +/- 3% on the charts, but there are usually quite a few options in the metric sizes, 11.7mm, 11.6mm, 12.1mm, etc. Here is a snapshot of my chart that would fit your Barons.

Capture.JPG

Regards,
Dave

egnald

Thanks, Dave. I was wondering, too, if there were any folk out there who have made this pen and their thoughts.
I have some Baron kits (and some Sedona) but I haven't made any of them yet. I will be sure to take note of your experience with drilling and the fit when I do get around to making one. - Dave

mmayo

Thanks, Dave. I was wondering, too, if there were any folk out there who have made this pen and their thoughts.
I make lots of Barons. I find the cap is almost always a tad loose and the body is tight. I have Fisch drill bits which flex and will replace them with my new standard Norseman. I strongly doubt that Norseman is anything but spot on for diameter.

Al that said, we sell quite a few and the finished pen is always perfect to the buyer. If there is a slightly larger cap hole, epoxy fills it and the hardware hides it. You'll be proud of any you make.

Attachments

• IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4453.jpeg
    IMG_4453.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4457.jpeg
    IMG_4457.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4458.jpeg
    IMG_4458.jpeg