Bandsaw BANG!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

I was resawing some 6/4 tulipwood in my shop with a 3/4 carbide resaw blade when BANG!!! the blade locked up in the wood and knocked the table out of level and well, a lot of things now look off kilter. I'll have to take it apart and put it back together. I inspected the blade and don't see any missing teeth. Once I loosed the block of wood which was dead stuck on the blade, I inspected the blade expecting to find missing teeth. There were none that I found. I marked the area of the blade that was in the wood with a sharpie. I did find a different area of the blade with a very slight but noticeable wrinkle when turning the blade slowly between my thumb and index finger. Would that be enough to bring the machine to a dead stop from full speed? The last time I used this blade there were no issues. I resawed a big batch of walnut.

Any idea what caused it? How to fix it?

Bandsaw 2024-02-05 001.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Wow. That had to be quite an experience! I hate it when things go BANG in the shop. That's quite an impressive dent in your insert.
I have heard of bandsaw blades getting stuck in the workpiece, usually because of a thick (thicker than your 6/4) piece being cut with too high of a feed rate. I suppose depending on the internal stresses of the wood it could pinch in on a blade and do something like that too. But I don't think either scenario happens very often. Great to hear that your carbide blade didn't get bent up or lose any teeth.

Dave

d_bondi

I had a 1/2" WoodSlicer blade snap while doing some re-sawing and that was rough, sounded like a gunshot in an enclosed space. I can't imagine what this must have been like.

P.S. Highland Woodworking replaced the WoodSlicer with no questions asked because it snapped at the weld.

jttheclockman

The plate is easily flattened. I resaw alot of wood and at times when the bandsaw starts to bind I have to put a wedge in the back of the cut because just like on a tablesaw really a riving knife is a good idea because the wood has internal stress and it will close up on you and pinch the blade. I am guessing this is what happened.

randyrls

Had that happen when a small cutoff dropped thru the insert and fell between the blade and drive wheel. The blade parted at the weld. Had to go upstairs for 30 minutes and calm down. (AND check my clothes!).

Likely your seize-up resulted from the piece rocking and grabbing the blade sideways.

Tip: Put blue painters tape around the blade first sideways and then lengthwise to keep any small cutoffs from doing that again.

Top Bottom