A sectional view

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sri Pens

I turned my first pen based on the inputs recvd from the forum . After making the pen, I sectioned it off to check internal dimensions and fitment . Sharing two pics for comments and suggestions . It's made in Indian Ebonite to Bock 6 configuration. Tapco M13x0.8, M10x1, M 7.9x0.6 used for various parts of the pen . Experienced a slightly tighter fit for the section towards the end ( going towards the barrel) . I have to acknowledge my gratitude to BoB ( RJB ) , Chad ( Turners ) and Phil ( Beaufort) whose videos and suggestions helped me to undertake the project. It's been enriching my knowledge joining this group and certainly the next steps adding clips and rings will be a challenge which I am keenly looking forward.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 99
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Nice first go.
Because, when using dies to cut threads, the last thread is not cut to full depth near the where the die stops. To counter this, I cut a small relief of about 1mm into the barrel where the section screws in.

d_bondi

Did you reverse the die and re-chase the threads on the barrel? The die are designed to cut deeper from the back side. This will make some difference if you haven't done that already.

As Darrin notes, you will still need to cut a small relief. I prefer to cut mine in the cap rather than weaken the barrel tenon.

Sri Pens

I have cut a relief of 2 mm . I did reverse and re chase the thread . As an after thought I wet sanded the threads on the tenon with a 1500. It improved the situation Slightly . Could it be the nature of ebonite ? My observation was that with fine pitch
( 0.8 /0.7 ) pitch the threads were smooth straightway . I experienced the tightness with higher pitch 1.0 mm . Again it's been a thoroughly enjoying experience with the overwhelming suggestions for improvements in my maiden effort .

darrin1200

I also usually run my due a couple of times, as I find some materials tend to give a little when cutting, then springs back after a little time. Ebonite is one of them. It is a rubber after all. LOL

I could also be a mismatched tap and die. I learned that taps and dies are given a class. It is essentially the accuracy of the depth of the threads. Hopefully one of our resident engineer/machinists can explain it a little better.

Read the thread limits chart here

d_bondi

Like Darrin, I run my die several times. I run it forward and reversed on each of the three starts for triple start threads. I find that it makes a lot of difference.

Sri Pens

I do it once forward and then back ward. In future I will repeat and observe the difference .

Dave$Pens

While you cannot change the cut of your tap, you can affect the tightness (diameter) of the cut of the die by tightening down the set screws. I have used that to facilitate a smoother fit in the past.

Top Bottom