Ugly New Year!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Ugly New Year!

My favorite time of year is almost here! Yes, I know most of you mistakenly look forward to the Birthday Bash for all the nice-pen contests; sad, misbegotten souls that you are. But if you look deep inside yourselves, and are brutally honest, isn't it all about the Ugly?

The Ugly Pen Contest, of course!

It's time to Unleash the Ugly! Those little drops of sadness the sometimes fall off our lathes, are now finally worth something. Get them ready to go, the contest starts in just over a month. As usual, there will be prizes, GOOD prizes, for the winners, better prizes than they deserve! And of course there is the prestige, if you can call it that, of having made the ugliest pen.

So what have you all been doing to get ready for The Ugly this year? Casting soap scum? Or maybe insect parts? Have you been gluing things to your pens that you shouldn't have? Go ahead, tell us your best Ugly Pen story! Heck, I might even give a prize for the best story this next week!

For all you Newbies who don't know what I'm talking about, each year we hold a party for the birthday of the IAP. While today, January first, is the anniversary of when we turned on the lights, we actually hold the party the whole month of February. There are lots of contests and fun! And because they are foolish enough to let me run it every year, the Ugly Pen Contest is my favorite part.

So let's get this started! The best story about your Ugly Pen endeavors posted here over the next week will get a prize! Now get to it!

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Ugly New Year!

My favorite time of year is almost here! Yes, I know most of you mistakenly look forward to the Birthday Bash for all the nice-pen contests; sad, misbegotten souls that you are. But if you look deep inside yourselves, and are brutally honest, isn't it all about the Ugly?

The Ugly Pen Contest, of course!

It's time to Unleash the Ugly! Those little drops of sadness the sometimes fall off our lathes, are now finally worth something. Get them ready to go, the contest starts in just over a month. As usual, there will be prizes, GOOD prizes, for the winners, better prizes than they deserve! And of course there is the prestige, if you can call it that, of having made the ugliest pen.

So what have you all been doing to get ready for The Ugly this year? Casting soap scum? Or maybe insect parts? Have you been gluing things to your pens that you shouldn't have? Go ahead, tell us your best Ugly Pen story! Heck, I might even give a prize for the best story this next week!

For all you Newbies who don't know what I'm talking about, each year we hold a party for the birthday of the IAP. While today, January first, is the anniversary of when we turned on the lights, we actually hold the party the whole month of February. There are lots of contests and fun! And because they are foolish enough to let me run it every year, the Ugly Pen Contest is my favorite part.

So let's get this started! The best story about your Ugly Pen endeavors posted here over the next week will get a prize! Now get to it!

Scott.

WAIT
, False start, call the cops or something, nobody told me we could start the Bash early!!!!!!!:smile-big:

Thanks Scott. Might as well get folks in the right mindset.

The B-day Bash, coming soon to a forum near you!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Buzzzz4

But I promised myself I would only make beautiful pens this year. I must resist the pull to make ugly....must resist! Wait! I do have a clown head still hanging around here and some leftover googly eyes.

Rick P

I turn anything thats not up to par down to the tubes and start over, but I did nearly poison myself casting in the living room! One of the hardest to get materials I turn is Musk Ox horn. got one to within a hairs breath of done only to have it peal off the tube like the card board roll toilet paper is wrapped around! There is not smell on earth quiet like turning Musk Ox horn! Whale bone is burning hair+half rotten fish.......but Musk Ox? THAT truly lingers! Especially nice since the shop is feet from our kitchen. This doesn't even include cutting my hands to ribbons with a partially rounded caribou antler. Guess thats more bad luck than ugly pens but I think it's in the spirit of the game?

Scott

Eric, the head and eyes were a good start! Release your fear, and embrace the Ugly Side . . .

Rick, I just don't think I can do a category for Ugly SMELLING pens! Such a category would go south really quickly. I could imagine Brooks casting a dog fart, and it would get worse from there! Maybe you could do a spiney pen with elements of both the whale bone and the musk ox horn, include some little flashing lights and call it The Northern Lights! You could say the light deprivation drove you to it. ;-)

Scott.

Rick P

Ohhhhh so make an ugly pen intetionally then lie about it........might be able to manage that! ;>) lets see what do I have around here thats ugly but wont leave a "lasting" impression?????? Hmmm somthing from the trap line maybe?

Top Bottom