Rockler special on a replaceable carbide tipped chisel...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Looks like a good price to me. I would be concerned with the square bit though. I had one square bit on my metal lathe and I found it problematic. It is no longer on my lathe. I bet free handing on a wood lathe might cause catches like the tip of your skew catching.

JMO take it for what it is worth.

Woodlvr

For what little I know of these types of tools it would not be advantageous to cut corners on cost if the metal is not the quality of Ken's (Bitshird) tools. I mention Ken's because I have two of them and they are top quality materials. I would try to find out what the material is made of as that shaft looks thin to me and as mentioned a catch could cause you injuries. JMHO.

Parson

Jason (Timebandit) uses a square carbide tipped chisel like this for his kitless pen making and I can clearly see how having a nice sharp flat edge would help with certain things so I'll give it a try and let you know!

bitshird

Randall, I would be cautious about the round bottom of the tool, it would tend to roll and Square corner inserts are easy to get a catch and blow a blank, or twist unexpectedly, and go flying.
Also Woodchuck inserts may not fit this tool, I think it uses a 12mm insert same as the Easy Wood mini tools, which I hate to say, is a much better tool than the Rockler version.
The comfort factor in having EZ woods 7/16 square bottom or the 1/2 inch square bottom of a Woodchuck coupled with the radiused inserts makes a world of difference.
I'm not pushing the Woodchucks, and sure as heck Ain't trying to make any sales for Craig, but I'd think about it and actually get the tool in your hand.
It's a convenient size, though the handle looks a bit puny, see what size inserts it uses, Woodchucks are 15mm for the R-2 and R-4 radius and one square,but I don't recommend the square insert for small work, only roughing large chunks, like bowls and big spindle stock. unless you just do bushing to bushing straight slim lines.
They will destroy blanks, particularly acrylics, there is too much surface contact with them.
Now it would be a dandy little tool for doing tenons, but a good parting tool does that better and cheaper.

Please note, I am not trying to promote any tool just set some information regarding a tool.

Ken Ferrell

76winger

I picked up the full-sized round-tipped version of that a couple weeks ago for 49.95 and it did a great job on some really tough Trustone (azurite web, black gold matrix, etc). while on special it came with one free bit as well. Here's the one I'm talking about: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=29075

After several tough chunks of trustone it dulled just slightly and was "catchy" on a tough piece of burl, so I went back to the skew after I on of the burl blanks and its tube. (chalked it up to learning curve)

Texatdurango

I don't think the round shaft works at all with that tool. This in my opinion is just another example of a tool made by a non-turner or they figured they could cut cost by using a round rod!

I made two such cutting tools and both have square steel shafts. The square cutters work like a dream and I only get a catch if I'm half asleep and not paying attention but the round shaft is just inviting a huge catch since the shaft can rotate so easily.

I think I would pass on this at even half the price!

ohiococonut

The biggest advantage to using a square rod over a round rod is the ability to keep the cutting edge parallel to the work piece maximizing the cutting area. Carbide inserts are designed to cut on the fine edge only. Depending on how hard you push in you will take off more material until you're cutting the width of the insert.

The round rod will allow you to twist the insert away from parallel which lessens the cutting area, provided you're still holding it so only the cutting edge contacts the material. If you can hold it perpendicular and parallel to the material you're fine. If not you will dull your inserts much sooner and spend more time turning. May as well use a skew.

Parson

Just thought I'd come back to this thread and let you all know I returned the Rocker round shafted unit and bought the woodchuck version so highly recommended here.

Holy Schmoley! Just used it last night on a piece of scrap wood and I don't ever think I've rounded a piece of wood that fast in my life! Talk about sharp!!!!!!

If I can get the hang of using this tool with other materials beyond scrap wood, I think I will easily drop the time needed to make a pen. WOW. Now I know what all the fuss is about.

So do you guys use this tool with plastics or just wood?

Texatdurango

Just thought I'd come back to this thread and let you all know I returned the Rocker round shafted unit and bought the woodchuck version so highly recommended here.

Holy Schmoley! Just used it last night on a piece of scrap wood and I don't ever think I've rounded a piece of wood that fast in my life! Talk about sharp!!!!!!

If I can get the hang of using this tool with other materials beyond scrap wood, I think I will easily drop the time needed to make a pen. WOW. Now I know what all the fuss is about.

So do you guys use this tool with plastics or just wood?

I use it on acrylics, ebonite, alumilite, well, actually everything!

Parson

Update: Turned my first pens with my woodchuck pro. Cuts the turning time in half and I can start sanding at 400!

One downside: I like to turn with a fairly clean cutting area and I brushed the shavings off the chisel and cut my thumb real good. Wouldn't stop bleeding for two days!

So it not only cuts through turning material like butter, it also cuts through fingers too!

User beware.

jjudge

All this talk of non-round + square carbide tips is making me nervous. Am I doing it wrong?

I just finished making 2 of these tools (posted in tools, jigs section): 1 with round rod, 1 with square bar.

Both a nice to use, I can use it to scrape/cut ... or ... turn 45-deg and angle to match the cutting edge and I can shave the surface. I need to make the round cutter tool soon.

Price notes: $1.56 per square cutter (14mmx14mm) or $10.00 per round cutter (egad!)

Yes, the tip corner is a BEAR -- but, as George/Texatdurango suggested, I just have to pay very close attention.

-- joe

Top Bottom