Vendor "Catalog Posts"?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
In response to a suggestion by some vendors, I'm considering setting up an additional forum in the Marketplace for "vendor catalog posts".

These would be threads with just the original post (i.e. no followups) which could be used as an editable catalog of sorts. These would be editable for a year by the poster. I don't know the cost. Probably about the same as buying a regular classified ad every two weeks.

These would be static threads and would never be bumped into the new thread feeds. People could go to that forum, obviously, and look at the posts, and the vendor could point to that catalog in their sig and in classified ads.

If you're a vendor, would you use it? Point to it in ads and your sig?
If you're a buyer, would you peruse the catalogs?

Please share your helpful comments on this idea. THANKS! :biggrin:

Fibonacci

I like the idea.

It is often frustrating to me to know that XXX person sells (or has sold) such and such item, but I can't find the ad that they used to have.

It would be great to be able to check one place for all of the things that various people sell. That would assume that vendors used it.

tim self

I think it would allow those who do not want to see the ads to miss them entirely. And those of us who frequent those sellers could fine them all in one place. I like the idea.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I think most of the vendors have web sites and probably have a hard enough time keeping them up to date. Personally, I fail to see the difference between linking to a web site and linking to a catalog on this site. Am I missing something?

I think it is a good idea because I don't look most of the marketplace because if they have their own websites I just go to those. This way if they can edit them through the year we could find out about sales and new products they have in stock without searching several sites. I think it would be a better use of the vendors advertising money and work better for the buyers.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I think most of the vendors have web sites and probably have a hard enough time keeping them up to date. Personally, I fail to see the difference between linking to a web site and linking to a catalog on this site. Am I missing something?

No difference at all. It's an option we could provide. People can link to their web sites now, and if they're happy with that, I'd imagine they'd ignore this new section.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you might recall that we had vendors who had the same ad running for years. I'm just trying to think about how we could provide that in the new scheme of things. Just looking for something clean and simple.

OKLAHOMAN

So in other words we would buy a listing in the vendor catalog forum for a year and be able to edit (show new items,sales,etc.) x number of times a week or month. Would this not be the "New Classified" as we have it now except for listing for a year instead of two weeks?. I guess I'm not really seeing the purpose.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Frees a Classified

So in other words we would buy a listing in the vendor catalog forum for a year and be able to edit (show new items,sales,etc.) x number of times a week or month. Would this not be the "New Classified" as we have it now except for listing for a year instead of two weeks?. I guess I'm not really seeing the purpose.

If I understand correctly Roy, this would still leave the classified for other uses. I personally have another use for classified that this would allow.

edicehouse

I don't sell anything, but I think the same price of what the other costs per year is rather high. This would encourage more to get a vendor page, thus more selection for us. But have some kind of code where bi monthly the vendor has to re authenticate their page. Meaning if it is a guy selling molds for casting, they may not need to add new molds but something to say the vendor is current.

One other thing I would like to see is a customer review section. Not as a way to bash someone's wares, but to get a better idea of the product. I will use molds again. If someone is selling molds they may not say how well they hold up to being used in a pressure pot, but vendor B's has not had any problems.

bensoelberg

I don't sell anything, but I think the same price of what the other costs per year is rather high. This would encourage more to get a vendor page, thus more selection for us. But have some kind of code where bi monthly the vendor has to re authenticate their page. Meaning if it is a guy selling molds for casting, they may not need to add new molds but something to say the vendor is current.

One other thing I would like to see is a customer review section. Not as a way to bash someone's wares, but to get a better idea of the product. I will use molds again. If someone is selling molds they may not say how well they hold up to being used in a pressure pot, but vendor B's has not had any problems.

Can't you do that in the Cheers and Jeers section now?

KnB Polymers

I think it's a great idea and would definitely use it. I like the idea of being able to keep it updated and adding and changing items which cannot be done in the classifieds.

SCR0LL3R

These would be static threads and would never be bumped into the new thread feeds. People could go to that forum, obviously, and look at the posts, and the vendor could point to that catalog in their sig and in classified ads.

Wouldn't the regular classifieds be able to used in exactly the same way only the in the regular classifieds, the post gets bumped when the vendor does a followup post (up to 3 times every 2 weeks)? Why would a vendor want to sacrifice the ability to bump his thread? I am just not seeing what this category would be adding to the forum.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Wouldn't the regular classifieds be able to used in exactly the same way only the in the regular classifieds, the post gets bumped when the vendor does a followup post (up to 3 times every 2 weeks)? Why would a vendor want to sacrifice the ability to bump his thread? I am just not seeing what this category would be adding to the forum.

I guess that's a question for the vendors.

One could ask the same question of anyone who publishes a catalog. Why not just take out advertisements?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
bitshird said:
And how would these be listed, alphabetically, or by date and time of insertion?

The default would be thread post time, but the user can select different sort orders via the drop down under the list of threads.

Edit: by 'user' I mean viewer, not the thread starter.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Advantage

I think the advantage of listing order will be small. When I put a classified ad in the newspaper it goes in where the publisher wants to put it. It might be first, last or in the middle depending on how many ads in that section....I live with it.

I like it because it is a quick reference for customers without them needing to leave this site. Hence more will go take a look now and then than would go to my site.

I have always thought that we should have this....a steady running ad that has the major things that I sell and their regular prices listed. And it will allow me to post sale prices and specials. A quick place for customers to see what's happening.

OKLAHOMAN

You at this time can do that in the classified for the same price and update each ad 3 times in two weeks and completely change the ad every two weeks, so the "Catalog" listings are really just another place to advertise, I agree for us vendors it's more exposure and for the price well worth it but and this coming from a vendor I thought the overhaul of the "Marketing Section" was to bring back the IAP to what is was intended.
I have always thought that we should have this....a steady running ad that has the major things that I sell and their regular prices listed. And it will allow me to post sale prices and specials. A quick place for customers to see what's happening.

Justturnin

I think it would be neat to open the section and it come straight up with a search box and maybe some category links below (ie Blanks, pen kit, Ink, Nibs......). Then when a vendor creates their ad there can be some radio buttons to select for them to link their ad to those links. There can also be a Misc or Other link that they manually fill in if they get a special product in. Then you can do the actual ads like you do on the front page with Random ads showing up so no one vendor gets full front page rights. There can also be a vendor list link that opens a list of Links to thier ads in Alphabetical order.

Just some thoughts.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I think that having a catalog page would result in more opportunities for people to buy, but without being over-exposed to ads. Since the ads do not 'bump', there's not jockeying by the vendors to get to page one, but all the info would be there for someone who wants to look for it.

Personally, I like to buy (when I have money), but I hate to be 'sold to' (if that makes sense)....so this would definitely be a good supplement to the classifieds in my eyes.

It doesn't add to to the current number of 'ads' but allows consumers the opportunity to find information and items should they choose to look.

Sounds like a good idea!

OKLAHOMAN

Ok, I'll get this off my chest and then what ever is done I'll darn sure take advantage of it.
#1-Andrew,Jeff and others correct me if I'm wrong but is not most of the vendors web sites in essences "Catalogs" ?
#2- When we post in the "Classified " and direct them to our web site for a particular product are we not directing to our on line "Catalog?
#3- So please tell me the difference with the "Catalog" froum.
#4- As a vendor I will also use this means of advertising (don't care how you dress it it's a form of advertising )as the rates that Jeff threw out are only $130 yearly.
#5- A catalog is asking you to buy a product and is nothing more than what most vendors have, CSUSA, PSI, Berea will send you a Catalog with your order for no other reason than to advertise their product and then when they advertise (via E mail ) direct you to their web sites, Which is what we now do in our new "Classified" section, using this forum as our e-mail list.
The up side to this as has been said if Jeff installs a drop down list so a member can look for a specific product and it brings up all the vendors that stock that product, his list would have to be extensive. A drop down of blanks would include 99 pecent of the vendors whereas a drop down of vendors that stock taps would be much less. And if a vendor starts stocking a new product who would insert it into the dropdown, a moderator would have to would be my guess, (More work for them).
This is the only benifit I see, not more work for the Mods but the dropdown:biggrin:
So enlighten me as I'm :confused: as to the why.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
You at this time can do that in the classified for the same price and update each ad 3 times in two weeks and completely change the ad every two weeks, so the "Catalog" listings are really just another place to advertise, I agree for us vendors it's more exposure and for the price well worth it but and this coming from a vendor I thought the overhaul of the "Marketing Section" was to bring back the IAP to what is was intended.

Roy

If what a majority of the membership wanted was to "bring back the IAP to what it was intended", then I'm mystified as to why the major complaint from people now is a reduced number of ads and buying opportunities.

People like to buy stuff. Our job (and our intent with the rules) is to balance the real mission of the IAP (education, advancement of the art, friendship) with the reality that some commerce is necessary for any activity to thrive. I think the idea of vendor forums fits pretty cleanly and neatly into the Marketplace concept.

I don't mean to cheapen the value of these vendor forums, but they'll be tucked away in an area of the forum where nobody has to see them unless they want to look. I envision that the major entry point will be through other classified ads or links in a sig.

PTownSubbie

bitshird said:
And how would these be listed, alphabetically, or by date and time of insertion?

The default would be thread post time, but the user can select different sort orders via the drop down under the list of threads.

Could there be a way, like in the library, that the vendor chooses what category they belong in? Molds/Blanks/Kits/ect..... Then a thread with each category has all the listing for that category. Would make it less cumbersome for the buyers.

Is this meant to replace the Classifieds as we know them now? Basically, will the blank sellers be able to update their newly poured blanks each week or is this meant for those vendors that don't create new products often like myself with molds and Ken with his Tools and Ken with his tool rests?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
bitshird said:

Could there be a way, like in the library, that the vendor chooses what category they belong in? Molds/Blanks/Kits/ect..... Then a thread with each category has all the listing for that category. Would make it less cumbersome for the buyers.

Is this meant to replace the Classifieds as we know them now? Basically, will the blank sellers be able to update their newly poured blanks each week or is this meant for those vendors that don't create new products often like myself with molds and Ken with his Tools and Ken with his tool rests?

It's not a replacement, it's an augmentation.

Vendors could use them for whatever. No limits (within reason) on photos, no limits on content as long as it's stuff for sale (other than limitations already in our terms of service)

I don't envision we'd provide categories for these threads.

Texatdurango

bitshird said:

I buy lots of supplies, nibs, refills, custom blanks, and misc supplies. My biggest problem is that I forget who I bought from six months earlier or I remember their name but not their IAP handle and I have to start searching or start sifting through the classifieds hoping to find them again.

To me, a directory of catalogs would be beneficial IF we could have some sort of a routine where vendors would put their company name first so regardless of when they posted their catalog we could sort by vendor name.

An example comes to mind....

A few months ago I had Charlie make me some pen stands and now need some more. I knew he was Charlie but I forgot his member name and searched through back ads, subscribed threads, old PM's then finally found him again.

If he posted in this new directory with a thread title of "Newlondon88 - Charlie - display stands and blank molds" for example, I could sort by title and find him a lot faster than the way I found him last.

Just a thought, that's how I would find it most beneficial.

IPD_Mr

I am really confused. We just went through all these changes that took place in Oct. These were done to reduce the amount of advertising and get back to what is important, the advancement of the hobby. Now we are again talking about adding another advertising section? Something doesn't sound right to me, what am I missing?

bitshird

So in essence the opening of this section would begin in a similar fashion as the Oklahoma land rush of 1889. The vendors that wish to participate would be given advance notice of when this option would become open to publish and those of us that wished to participate would have our wagons hitched up and our horses saddled and when the flag drops we all would be burning up keyboards, whipping our bandwidth to make sure we would get top placement and run like hell for the piece of property we wanted. Sounds good to me.

ctubbs

I already know that I am lazy, so having to look up vendor adds in my bookmarks becomes a PITA. My memory is getting worse daily and trying to remember who sells what and where is becoming troublesome for me, therefore, I for one think this is a wonderful idea from Jeff and as a buyer, would really like to have this option. Thank you Jeff for trying to always make this site better.
Charles

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Ken, what other option would there be? It's a non-showing section of permanent catalog ads, without bumping...

I don't see this as being a distraction from the core of education and advancement, since it is a non-updating section (i.e. not in-your-face) to accomodate those users that want a permanent store-front, without adding to the classified 'scrolling' on the 'new posts'. Massive signatures full of ads taking up half a page scream commerce more than this change does, in my mind.

That being said, I'm writing this as a member - I'm not the architect of the classifieds, and thus it's just my opinion...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not the same

You can have only 1 ad running in the classified section at a time. This gives you a catalog ad and still allows the ad in the classified. Hence you
can't do now what this allows even if you were willing to pay for it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
So what?

So in essence the opening of this section would begin in a similar fashion as the Oklahoma land rush of 1889. The vendors that wish to participate would be given advance notice of when this option would become open to publish and those of us that wished to participate would have our wagons hitched up and our horses saddled and when the flag drops we all would be burning up keyboards, whipping our bandwidth to make sure we would get top placement and run like hell for the piece of property we wanted. Sounds good to me.

Rush to be first.....at $100 bucks a year or so? I personally don't think it is going to be over crowded. the $5.00 classified certainly isn't so why would anyone think this is?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
bitshird said:

You base this assumption on what? The haphazard way I normally do things? Thanks for the vote of confidence! Note that I have not said a thing about how this would be opened, IF it is.

Top Bottom