Perfume Mandrel/Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dai Sensei

I previously used a homemade jig from a dynabolt, but it only took a minor out of square end or knock during turning and the ends were not turned central to the tube. So I discussed the problem with my helpful fitter & turner Gawdelpus (John) and we came up with the following chuck/mandrel. I'm interstate at the moment at my mother's house and have access to my father's metal lathe. It would also work for closed end pens too if the appropriate diameters were used.

Basically it is a brass round turned down to suit a collet chuck at one end, and the inside dia of the o-ring at the other. I could have turned a M2 taper, but straight is easier and I have a full collet set. The o-rings have an outside diameter to suit the brass tubes to be held. I used a 1/4" bolt, but for pen mandrel, you should consider 3/16" threaded rod. You could also use steel instead of brass, it's just what I had access to.

I then used Delron rod, as it doesn't stick with CA, turned down to the bush size at one end, and the inside dia of the brass tubes for the remainding sleeves. The last Delron sleeve needs to be long enough to ensure assembly is longer than the brass (by 2x o-ring thickness). The washers are turned down to be less than the Delron, and the bolt heads are also turned down to minimise length.

The whole assembly fits neatly into the brass sleeve, and by tightening the bolt via a slot cut to suit a screwdriver and spanner on the nut, it holds the sleeve by the o'rings at each end of the brass tube. I also made another for the shorter tube, it was easier than mucking around with sleeve sizes on the longer chuck.

Works a treat, just need to get back home to try it.

Cheers

Attachments

• perfume chuck1.JPG
    perfume chuck1.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 406
  • perfume chuck2.JPG
    perfume chuck2.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 272
  • perfume chuck3.jpg
    perfume chuck3.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 230
  • perfume chuck4.JPG
    perfume chuck4.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

Just so I understand, you tighten the nut and the o-rings get squished, causing them to balloon out and grip the pen tube, right?

rherrell

Have you ever tried a pin chuck? They are ALOT less complicated and work just as well.
That being said, I LOVE your ingenuity!:biggrin:

Dai Sensei

Yes I have almost ~10 pin chucks for various pen kits. My problem is with the oddball things I use, I often flood my blanks various times with thin CA (and I get it every where :redface:), so the sleeves tend to stick to the chucks :frown:.

I've also tried a pin chuck from Delron, but it is just too soft, so this was my alternative.

Top Bottom