Eight miles from Mexico, and lost!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allen_m

An introduction...

First, let me say I have never used a lathe or made a pen in my life. I have USED many pens! :) I am handy with tools; having restored a few vintage motorcycles; but, otherwise a complete newbie.

Specifically, I would like to learn to make fountain pens, including pen bodies made from aluminum, as well as closed end pens with threads cut directly in the cap and body material…

As such, I have chosen a lathe I feel may be suitable, the HiTorque 7x12 from LittleMachineShop.com… http://littlemachineshop.com/4100 (It is a variant of the SIEG SC2)

This lathe cuts threads down to 4 tpi which I am guessing may be helpful… Not sure if it is possible on this equipment; but, I'd like to eventually be able to cut multi-lead threads, too. Being full of motorcycles, the shop has definite space limitations; so, bigger may not be better for me; moreover, as a newbie, I don't want to go too crazy in terms of spending until I verify that I have the knack for actually doing this type of work.

Surely, I would learn on a large variety of materials without attempting the more difficult materials first. I am a bit impatient; but, have a lot of time on my hands.

Not knowing much about all of this, I would be grateful if anyone would be willing to share their expertise…

First, Is this a suitable choice for a lathe? If not, what alternative would be more suitable? When turning wood (or acrylic, etc…) on a metal lathe, do you replace the tool post with a rest for hand tools?

What is the best available guide for learning? I have seen numerous DVD's etc.

On a completely un-related topic, I have an Omas Marconi rollerball (well used..!) with damage to the cap that neither Omas nor the Fountain Pen Hospital can repair… Photo below- cap is chipped…
Is it hopeless, or can this type of damage be repaired?
Omas.png

Thanks in advance,

-Allen M.
Bisbee, AZ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I don't know the answers to any of your questions but welcome to the group. I'm sure one of the more experiences folks will take you in the right direction.

Woodlvr

Welcome from Utah Allen. You may need to post your question and picture in pen turning and I am sure that all sorts of helpful ideas will start pouring in. Welcome to the addiction.

Kaspar

An introduction...

As such, I have chosen a lathe I feel may be suitable, the HiTorque 7x12 from LittleMachineShop.com… http://littlemachineshop.com/4100 (It is a variant of the SIEG SC2)

This lathe cuts threads down to 4 tpi which I am guessing may be helpful… Not sure if it is possible on this equipment; but, I'd like to eventually be able to cut multi-lead threads, too.

Surely, I would learn on a large variety of materials without attempting the more difficult materials first. I am a bit impatient; but, have a lot of time on my hands ...

First, Is this a suitable choice for a lathe? If not, what alternative would be more suitable? When turning wood (or acrylic, etc…) on a metal lathe, do you replace the tool post with a rest for hand tools? -Allen M.
Bisbee, AZ

Bisbee? That is the sticks, man!

Welcome! I've thought about getting that machine myself, mainly for the 4 TPI capability. That's looks like a nice machine, and more than enough lathe to do pens and small parts. Micro-mark also sells a version of it and it has a longer bed, if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not sure if you can get the 4 TPI threading with that. The 4 TPI thread cutting capability combined with the high-torque at 50 rpm can be used to cut multi-start threads on your Centerband area. That's fairly advanced stuff (internal threading is the hard part there,) but when the time comes, that'll be a great ability to have.

Definitely go with LMS for accessories, too. They are just across the way in Southern California. With that 12 inch bed, You might want to get screw machine length, or "stub," drill bits with that. I have the big set from LMS. It's pricey, but having nearly every bit up through .5" in that shorter length is incredibly useful. I can't overstate this.

I've done wood with the metal cutting tools no problem. There is a wood tool rest for metal lathes if you like the freedom that gives you. Myself, I've never felt the need.

Last edited:

allen_m

Bisbee? That is the sticks, man...

Kaspar,

Thanks for the detailed advice... I have a few constraints on my time in the next many weeks; but, hope to have a new lathe in the shop soon. I took a moment to review your web site, and you have certainly made some beautiful pens. Nice to know I can use a metal lathe without worrying about a wood turning style tool rest.

Wish me luck!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you can find a 14in bed in that same price range it would make it easier on you for drilling. That being said the 12 will work although it might get tight sometimes. Most threading on pens will be done with taps even with your lathe having threading possibilties. Why because the distance involved in pen making is very short and you have to auto feed for threading. IF you search the other threads there is a recomendation for clear acrylic rods made by GEorge Butcher (texatdurango) for cheap practice on threading and pen making. Welcome to the dark side.

allen_m

If you can find a 14in bed in that same price range it would make it easier on you for drilling. That being said the 12 will work although it might get tight sometimes. Most threading on pens will be done with taps even with your lathe having threading possibilties. Why because the distance involved in pen making is very short and you have to auto feed for threading. IF you search the other threads there is a recomendation for clear acrylic rods made by GEorge Butcher (texatdurango) for cheap practice on threading and pen making. Welcome to the dark side.

More great advice- Thanks!

nava1uni

Welcome. You are in luck as a metal lathe section is just starting on this forum. There will be a lot to learn from all of the metal lathe people on this site.

Top Bottom