Tap Guide LMS special of the week

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Well I may be wrong but I think it's what Skiprat uses in the videos he has posted on youtube.
Maybe someone can confirm or deny that for me. :confused:

The spring applies just a little pressure and the point keeps things centered.

Texatdurango

Well I may be wrong but I think it's what Skiprat uses in the videos he has posted on youtube.
Maybe someone can confirm or deny that for me. :confused:

The spring applies just a little pressure and the point keeps things centered.

Confirmed! That's how I use it.

One thing I noted on their ad page though that stuck out to me. It said in part... "Made in the USA by hungry machinists"!

"Hungry Machinists".......... what a JOKE! I'll never buy anything knowingly made by them. Besides you can buy these pins elsewhere a lot cheaper!

THe "Hungry Machinists" is a company or group of machinists and they have a website where they promote the idea "Buy American" and that there are American workers begging for work so no job is too big or small.

I called and asked to talk to someone in charge and went on to explain that we had a 1" round die holder and now had a 1 1/2" die and needed an adapter made to fit into the existing 1" die holder. I told him we would be talking between 25 and 50 and needed a ballpark price.

He was familiar with the die holder Little Machine Shop carries and seemed to know exactly what we needed but wasn't the least bit interested in making any adapters for us. He agreed that a minimum job of 25 would be doable, he just wasn't interested but said for $120 per hour flat rate, someone MIGHT find time to make a few for us and it would probably take a couple hours for each adapter!

I guess they aren't as hungry as they lead one to believe and just use the clever name as a way of playing on peoples symathy and/or patriotism!

Last edited:

MarkD

If you look on the LittleMachineShop tag guide web page, on the center of the page it says: "Made in the USA by hungry machinists". But on the bottom of the page it says: "This is a quality American-made product from Fisher Machine Shop".

Texatdurango

George,
Have you got a link to the hungry machinist website?
I Googled, and couldn't find anything...
Just curious!

Johnny,

Their website is http://www.fishermachine.com/ . If you look at several LMS pages where they mention the hungry machinists, Fisher Machine shop is mentioned as their shop.

Just curious, did anyone contact you about making the little die holder adapters? There are probably 25+ IAP members wanting one. A few of us have small metal lathes which are not up to the task of cranking out a few dozen pieces. Interested? To not derail this thread further, if interested look at http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82916&page=2 and have a look at post #46 by bigshed for a perfect example of what many are needing.

IPD_Mr

My FIL (JoeFyffe), just adapted our die holder and did a darn good job of it. You might want to talk with him about making them if Johnny does not or cannot.

JerrySambrook

I think it is rather ironic people can complain about the price of something when they cannot make it temself, or understand what might go into making something. Or the fact that the cost of running a business is now greatly controlled by things like taxes, workers comp, osha, epa, etc.
And yet, those same people have the gall to dictate how much things should cost, yet charge an inexorbinate amount for a piece of wood or plastic they drilled a hole in, stuck on a machine they could not construct themselves, and put a tool to it that they could not manufacture themselves either.

And yet once again as stated above, they want a huge amount for what comes out to a few minutes worth of working time.

It really is uncomprehensible

Can someone please explain?

Wonder what they think of bills from a doctor?

johnnycnc

George,
Just curious!

Johnny,

Their website is http://www.fishermachine.com/ . If you look at several LMS pages where they mention the hungry machinists, Fisher Machine shop is mentioned as their shop.

Just curious, did anyone contact you about making the little die holder adapters? There are probably 25+ IAP members wanting one. A few of us have small metal lathes which are not up to the task of cranking out a few dozen pieces. Interested? To not derail this thread further, if interested look at http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82916&page=2 and have a look at post #46 by bigshed for a perfect example of what many are needing.

Thanks for the link, George.
I was less than impressed with the site.

I think it was Timebandit that asked about making these. I passed,
as the swiss turn I log time on won't even hold 1" dia stock. Our bigger lathes are always booked so hard, they won't even consider letting me in them. I do some sourcing for my employer, so could possibly get quoted
if I had a good print with dimensions.
I like the looks of Fred's piece, but as he mentioned..too much time on a manual to mess with.
I would think a suitable unit could be "fabricated" without having to turn out from solid 2" stock. Let me think on this.:wink:

Do they have to be on a morse taper shank or would a 1/2" cylinder shank to grip in a drill chuck work..
Oh that's right, Justin mentioned "floating". Not a big task, but different.
I'd have to get my head around that part.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Johnny: This is probably not an issue to you, but as I muddled through the adapter that I turned, on my old South Bend, for my SIL and I, I found that Tapco was about 15 or 20 .000 ths off on the spacing of the two dimples they have drilled in the outside diameter of the die. To get the die to lay flat, I had to take separate measurements, and then with my "non-machinist" abilities, or lack thereof,:redface: I have to leave my set screws a little loose. At least the die doesn't spin around inside the adapter, so gimme a break!!!:biggrin::biggrin: I consider this a flaw in their machining, and I would not be surprised if there were different variances in different dies. JFI and Just a speculation!! see attachments below

George,
Just curious!

Johnny,

Thanks for the link, George.
I was less than impressed with the site.

I think it was Timebandit that asked about making these. I passed,
as the swiss turn I log time on won't even hold 1" dia stock. Our bigger lathes are always booked so hard, they won't even consider letting me in them. I do some sourcing for my employer, so could possibly get quoted
if I had a good print with dimensions.
I like the looks of Fred's piece, but as he mentioned..too much time on a manual to mess with.
I would think a suitable unit could be "fabricated" without having to turn out from solid 2" stock. Let me think on this.:wink:

Do they have to be on a morse taper shank or would a 1/2" cylinder shank to grip in a drill chuck work..
Oh that's right, Justin mentioned "floating". Not a big task, but different.
I'd have to get my head around that part.

Attachments

• DSC_7080_1024x680.jpg
    DSC_7080_1024x680.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_7081_1024x680.jpg
    DSC_7081_1024x680.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Top Bottom