The wife has been hounding me for this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ryvnd2001

ryvnd2001

Here is my latest project. Not completely done with it...as my perfectionist personally prevents. Claro Walnut with a little burl. Finished with CA (NOT EASY ON THIS SIZED ITEM!!!). Not a high shine like pens but a pretty decent gloss. The mechanism is a crush grind from CUSA. Comments and critiques welcome!

Ryan

Attachments

• WalnutMill.jpg
    WalnutMill.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 616
  • WalnutMill2.jpg
    WalnutMill2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 472
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InvisibleMan

Wow - very nice!

Figured walnut - especially claro - is my favorite wood. I've been scouting for sources of blocks large enough for when I start making mills (hopefully soon!).

Lenny

It Really shows off the beauty of that wood!
I can only image how difficult it must have been to do a CA finish on something that big! :eek::)

peterelli

Is this the click in type? If so, how did you find making it from the directions?

Also, where did you get the metal band?

tim self

Nice even shape and great finish. I know that long/big of an item is hard to get a good finish on. And that wood sucks up the CA. Great job.

sbarton22

Exactly what kind of kit is this? It is ridiculously fantastic! Does it come with the metal band?

Man, that is so beautiful!

ryvnd2001

Hello. I can't remember the place I got the aluminum band from. It was an online metal piping place. I bought the "guts" from CUSA before they introduced the "click" in kit. The idea is somewhat stolen. My wife really wanted the same pepper grinder used by Giada (Italian chef on TV) and I couldn't find it anywhere (there are actually posts online about the un-availability of it). I decided to imitate it with my choice of wood and CA finish. If I was selling this I probably would not use CA again as it was somewhat of a nightmare to get it to look like my pens. As mentioned prior, Walnut can really soak it up and has a ton of small voids that need to fill. Maybe using a different wood would work well with CA. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the encouraging and complimentary words.

Ryan

Top Bottom