My first white tail antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jbswearingen

jbswearingen

This is going to my brother for his birthday. He isn't a hunter; he just thought it looked cool when he saw the blanks mounted on the lathe.

10 coats CA to level the rough texture of the antler, sanded with 220, and then another 20 coats CA, polished with MM. Photomatix Pro used to create the image.

DPP_0336Small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

That's Awesome! I like turning antler. The smell is bad, but the results are worth it! Good job!!

jbswearingen

I got almost NO smell from it. I smelled it a bit when drilling it out and when trimming on the band saw, but none when turning.

I liked it, too. I'm definitely doing more!

Drstrangefart

I've done a handful of antler pens. It runs the range from no smell to burning toejam to rot&bleach, you have no clue until you cut into it. That being said, the results are ALWAYS gratifying when it gets finished.

jbswearingen

Thanks, all! I have the rest of the antler drilled and glued for my first attempt at a FP.

Now then...where to buy more antler economically?

toyotaman

Great looking pen. I've got a bullet pen kit with an antler that I'm going to turn soon. Thanks for sharing about the smell. I'll look for that.

sbell111

I got almost NO smell from it. I smelled it a bit when drilling it out and when trimming on the band saw, but none when turning.
That's how you know that your dust collector is doing it's job.

Not in my case...I just picked up a DC but haven't been able to hook it up yet. I plan on buying ducting for it this weekend.

In that case, stop turning antler until you set up your system. Antler dust is very hazardous.

jbswearingen

Yup. Got it set up yesterday. Simple enough...4"x8" dryer exhaust ducting. A perfect reach from my DC to my lathe.

Rick_G

Good looking pen. I'm always surprised by the variations in antler. The wife's cousin brought me some a couple weeks ago and everything I've turned from it was almost pure white, more like ivory.

Glad you got the DC, that stuff is nasty to breathe. I use a shop vac with the inlet about an inch from the turning, catches the fumes and most of the cutting. Vent it outside in good weather.

Top Bottom