Spalted birch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

The first set of stabilized blanks from the haul of large birch stumps I got a while back. These were in really good shape to being with so I think the simple lacquer soak I did will have them turning well.

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 196
  • Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Resize Wizard-3.jpg
    Resize Wizard-3.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Resize Wizard-4.jpg
    Resize Wizard-4.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Rick that stash of blanks I have a feeling you're going to posting some pens that will top even the spalted cottonwood gent. Those look great. Nice score.

Rick P

Thanks Derek, I still have a lot of stump to process before it starts snowing so there is more to come.

Toyotaman, thin out regular lacquer by 25-40% with lacquer thinner for your solution. Put as many blanks in a sealed container as will fit and fill with solution. Let the blanks soak in the sealed container for a week, let them dry for a week and turn. It helps to shake the container daily and add more if needed. This method works great for woods that are in OK shape to begin with and I have had some luck getting burls to behave but if your wood is really gone I am afraid it doesn't help much. It also works better with porous dry woods like old birch and cottonwood.

Rick P

I only have a couple of weeks of weather warm enough to do them outside, if I can get enough to last me till next june I would like to sell a few. I will keep you posted.

Top Bottom