Green wood. Vacuum impregnation instead of drying

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alejanders

Green wood. Vacuum impregnation instead of drying.

There was an old malus (apple tree) stub on my wife's country home yard.
I sawed down that tree 3 or 4 years ago and stub was in the ground, under sun, rain and snow.

Abouth a month ago I have digged out that stub, clean it and cut on two pieces. I and found very beautyful texture.

s640x480

Wood was wet through. As you know, it is not easy to dry malus without cracks.

I have cut piece on pen blanks, and with my vaccuum station :) impregnated wood with boiled linseed oil.

s640x480

Wood becomes darker (wood before - small cubes on left side). And for about a week got no cracks and no curves (except a little curveness, that happens before impregnating).

So, I think, BLO vacuum impregnationg is a fast and good alternative to drying (because water leaves wood under vacuum with air and drying oil stabilizes wood).
I am right? Or I just spoiled spalted malus?

Attachments

• malus.jpg
    malus.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,824
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

I imagine you could also use alcohol and it would dissapaite before turning. BLO may make it hard to apply finish.

dgelnett

Your picture looks very interesting. It reminds me of the wooden ship in a bottle. But you have pen blanks in a bottle, inside of another bottle. I am assuming the outer bottle has the bottom cut off.
I use the soaking in denature alcohol (DA) and then leave it in a paper bag for a week or two. I always thought the DA would help to kill any bugs or fungus that may be still alive.

Top Bottom