Custom Tube lengths

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BlackPearl

This is my first post at IAP so I hope I am doing correctly.

I would like to modify a kit (Deluxe Toothpick Holder) by making the tube longer to hold some special tools. What is the best way to cut a brass tube to the length that I want?

I do not want to cause an inside burr nor do I want to crush the tube.

I did a couple of searches but could not find anything about cutting tubes. I am sure I missed them cause I never do anything original.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

If you can buy replacement tubes for the kit you could just glue 2 tubes in. Cutting it to length by any method you want (bandsaw would work) AFTER it is glued in shouldn't be a problem as the glue will support it. Just remember to allow extra to trim back using a barrel trimmer or your methos of choice. Any burrs are easily removed with a countersink bit or special de-burrer sold by at least a couple different vendors here, (Johnnycnc and IPD_MR, I think have them at there stores).
Others have used a little motorized cut-off tool purchased at Harbor Frieght for cuttung custom tube sizes.

Last edited:

staushg69

I use this little guy from harbor freight. Makes a nice 90 deg cut.

Attachments

• tube cutter.jpg
    tube cutter.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 222

sbwertz

I use this little guy from harbor freight. Makes a nice 90 deg cut.

Does that thing actually work. I have looked at it a few times. Does it leave a clean edge?

Yes, it really works! It has a little vise built in to hold the tube, and it cuts pretty clean. Replacement blades are available at HF. It leaves a little bit of burr, but I just rub it on a piece of 220 sandpaper laying flat on the workbench to clean up the edge.

randyrls

I cut the brass tubes with a table saw, in the same jig I use to cut blanks. You do need some way to clean up any burrs that are left from the cutting process.

It consists of a blank drilled with a snug hole and a length-wise cut into the center hole, but not all the way thru the blank.

scotirish

I also have the Harbor Freight cut-off saw. I added the base and then the slide (to the right in the picture) to allow tubes to be cut to the same length. Note the 1/4" dowels on top, they are set for the ones I cut most often and allow me to set the slide the same every time.
Ron

le_skieur

I also have the Harbor Freight cut-off saw. I added the base and then the slide (to the right in the picture) to allow tubes to be cut to the same length. Note the 1/4" dowels on top, they are set for the ones I cut most often and allow me to set the slide the same every time.
Ron

I like your set up Ron. I have the same kit except I did not make that homemade hold down that you made!

sbwertz

Ron

Great idea. I usually just use a clamp to hold a stop block but this is much more elegant.

Showed this to my husband and he just went out and made me one!

Last edited:

Dave Turner

Being a gadget guy, this little saw looks very enticing. Question: I assume people buy their brass tubing in long lengths. Where do you purchase your tubing? Also, I know there are slight variations in tube inside/outside diameter. Is this ever a problem when friction fitting the pen components?

sbwertz

Being a gadget guy, this little saw looks very enticing. Question: I assume people buy their brass tubing in long lengths. Where do you purchase your tubing? Also, I know there are slight variations in tube inside/outside diameter. Is this ever a problem when friction fitting the pen components?

I buy mine in 10 packs of ten inch tubes from Woodworker's Source. I've seen them elsewhere as well. Have never had a fit problem.

Top Bottom