Vibration Casting Tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

I thought it would be easier to find for others in the future if I started a new thread and put this in the first post. If the moderators want to delete my original thread, I'm fine with that.

Attachments

• Vibration casting.pdf
    888.5 KB · Views: 1,220
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I read the pdf, and it looks totally practical. I like it. Dead remote control cars and the like are good places to find motors, and they even usually have wheels already mounted you can cut up to make weights if you leave it lopsided enough.

biednick

I read the pdf, and it looks totally practical. I like it. Dead remote control cars and the like are good places to find motors, and they even usually have wheels already mounted you can cut up to make weights if you leave it lopsided enough.
That's a very good point. One thing I should have mentioned before, I got the idea to do this from my dad's friend. He casts slot car bodies using Alumilite and vibration, so he helped me the first time I did this. The motor and collet I used for vibration were slot car parts.

Drstrangefart

Another one I've done successfully is taking the drive motor from a portable CD player and removing it, then hooking it up to a large battery pack. Cut half a CD off, leave the ring intact to clip onto the mount, and VOILA! With a larger battery pack they tend to spin absurdly fast.

pianomanpj

Very well done! The only thing that I would recommend is to NOT tape the motor, but to screw it to or otherwise RIGIDLY affix it to the base. You will lose energy with tape, as it has some "give" to it. You want the motor to be "one" with the base. Just my two cents worth.

biednick

Very well done! The only thing that I would recommend is to NOT tape the motor, but to screw it to or otherwise RIGIDLY affix it to the base. You will lose energy with tape, as it has some "give" to it. You want the motor to be "one" with the base. Just my two cents worth.
I completely agree, however, I still had good results with tape. I have found that securely mounting the motor, as well as using a high RPM motor, can have a huge effect on performance.
How long do you typically run the motor?
I typically run it for 10-15 minutes, or until most of the bubbles are out of the resin.

Last edited:

ohiococonut

I'd been following this since I was getting ready to pour my first cast tonight. I remembered my scroll saw likes to vibrate so I set my mold on it and it worked!

Top Bottom