Overdue Thank You

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

I have to apologize to Buzzzz4 for not doing this sooner, and for not turning the blank yet.

Last month I contacted Buzzzz4 about doing some casting work for me. I'd been on these boards for a few months now, and his work had gained my attention and when I realized that he lived close to me I hoped it would work out. I'd already noticed some of his work on the forums, so the idea of meeting up with a pen turner of his caliber was appealing (as was the chance to have someone cast a piece of wood that I had recently obtained). He of course was very obliging, and agreed to do the work for me.

When we met, he was kind enough to give me a tour of his shop, and show me his inventory, which I greatly appreciated. If that, combined with the casting work wasn't enough, he also gifted me several nice blanks including a snakeskin, a Jeff Powell, and even a couple of his own creations, along with some others(all look great).

When I went to pick up the finished casting, to say I was pleased would be an understatement. This is the piece before casting.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's the finished product from his pressure pot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'd never turned anything but wood until he gave me some things, and even now I've only attempted that Snakeskin that I still have to finish. So, when I saw the results of his efforts I was blown away.

I had intended to wait until I had finished the final product before publicly thanking him, just because I thought it would be nice to do so alongside the finished piece. It took me some time to even decide which kit I wanted to use (usually does with me), and unfortunately I haven't even started it yet.

However, due to car problems, and a recent oral surgery (as well as the holiday), I just hadn't spent much time in the shop since then. Now, I'm reluctant to even work in the shop at least until the stitches are out (I had a bone graft in my tooth, and don't want to take any chances on it getting disturbed lest it not take).

Because of this, I wanted to publicly take this opportunity to thank him for his generosity, and efforts. I wish I had the finished product to present along with this thanks, but that will unfortunately have to wait until later.

Kind of bums me out too, because I'm anxious to see what it's going to look like, and am sure it will turn out as good as it looks.

Thanks Eric.

David

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

The cast looks great and I'll be interested to see the completed pen. I think I may be a little concerned about how little of the acrylic will show once turned round.

AK

ghostrider

The cast looks great and I'll be interested to see the completed pen. I think I may be a little concerned about how little of the acrylic will show once turned round.

AK
We'd talked about that before started, and it is what it is. I'll be using a Jr. Gent, and probably have to drill off-center.

You do have a point though, and I'm thinking it makes it that much more interesting to see how it turns out. The color scheme certainly works for me.

Buzzzz4

Wow, thanks! You are definitely giving way too much credit. I am also eager to see the results. I had fun casting it, and I think you will be surprised how much resin is packed in there. Definitely drill to the front.

Top Bottom