Sources for crushed stone/powder?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob73

Anyone out there know any good sources for crushed stone? Was thinking about trying some from cusa but wanted to check out other suppliers first.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

If it helps any- Barry Gross suggested to me to buy bigger stones and crush it yourself. I purchased mine from Bill also as Mike suggested. There was a post about a homemade crusher but I cannot find it right now. Of course, if I quit looking for it I will find it.

Rick P

Visit to your local rock shop then some time with a cloth bag and a hammer......just dont tell them what your going to do, had a guy refuse to sell me a chunk of azurite once.
Most of the rock shops in heavy tourist towns have little bottles full of small pieces of semi precious stone. I got enough to do several pens and a neat little bottle for a buck on my last run to town.

Woodlvr

Dawn that is it, Thank you. I have only used my crushed stone twice and it turned out well, at least the LOML and our daughter thought so.

its_virgil

Gilmer Rock shop is a vendor at SWAT (our symposium here in Tex) each year. Katrina has an excellent selection in several "grits" or whatever the crush size is called. And at $10 for 4 oz her crushed stone is less expensive than the $10+ per ounce I've paid elsewhere (elsewhere being the major pen kit suppliers....).
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Gilmer rock shop ihttp://www.gilmerrockshop.com/servlet/the-Crushed-Rock/Categories

For $10.00 for 4 oz I thought that would give them a try. Haven't had a chance to yet, but he seemed pleased.

sbwertz

Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I buy mine on ebay from

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gemstone+chips+50+grams+crushed+inlay&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

His prices are very good. He sells about a dozen different stone chips and if you buy 5 you get free shipping. They are about 2 oz packages ranging in price from about $2.90 to $3.55 a package.

His turquoise has a lovely dark blue green color that I like much better than the pale blue I've bought from other sources.

The chips are too large for inlaying as they come, so I crush them by pounding them in the finger of a nitrile glove until they are smaller.

They are polished like they have been through a tumbler.

Last edited:

BSea

I bought some from Turtle Feathers. It's simulated stone, so it's uniform in color. I mix a little Black Gold & brown in with the turquoise to give it a more natural look. This stuff turns very easily. Kinda like PR. I've never done real stone, so I can't compare. The nuggets are a little large for pens. But you can break them up. Next time, I'm going to buy the granules with the nuggets. the small size is a lot. There is no need to get the larger 4 oz size.

Top Bottom