Banned myself from the shop...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

I spent the day watching tv... Went outside about 7pm and started on a pen. When time came to square the ends, I put a pen mill in the lathe... it was probably running "a little" fast...should have stopped there.

Cut my left thumb on the pen mill, jumped and stabbed my right backhand on the 60degree live center, got blood on the blank, blood on the floor. Should have gone in... Decided to tempt fate... turned the pen just fine....GREAT...should have gone in....started a CA finish, thin CA wouldn't come out...should have gone in... squeezed "a little" harder...CA EVERYWHERE (at least it stopped the bleeding)...

You ever had that moment when you get "lots" of CA on you, and you stand there thinking "It's fixin to get really, really hot, really"?

It did. Went in.

Cant wait till tomorrow!

Good night.
Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

Tom, I am soo sorry. But I have had days like that too, it sucks cause usually everything happens in 10 minutes. First this, then that, then frig it I am going for a drink :p

PenMan1

Tom:
We all have those days. I feel your pain! I learned to use medium CA for finishing, simply because you have a little longer before it gets REALLY hot.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just remember, when you go into the house and your "love of your life" asks what happened, you calmly say, "I got a small cut, but I put some CA on it, so it will all work out fine" (Just like you PLANNED it that way!!) She will be SO impressed!!!

TomW

Just remember, when you go into the house and your "love of your life" asks what happened, you calmly say, "I got a small cut, but I put some CA on it, so it will all work out fine" (Just like you PLANNED it that way!!) She will be SO impressed!!!

You gotta remember Ed, this is the woman that I once glued both of her hands to the workbench with CA.... I'll never get over that one, and she is farrrrrrr to sly to allow me go get by with that one...

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader

You gotta remember Ed, this is the woman that I once glued both of her hands to the workbench with CA.... I'll never get over that one, and she is farrrrrrr to sly to allow me go get by with that one...

Oh man, that event will come back to haunt you!

Fat Boy

you should have just shot some accelerator on your hand after that kind of burning you could turn confidently knowing it could not get any worse :biggrin:

Drstrangefart

I was feeling pretty bad about every blank I put on the lathe today blowing up (About 4 or 5) until I got the last one to hang together long enough to finish. Now, not so much.

azamiryou

I've cut myself on the live center, too! Why do the live center and dead center have to be so sharp? Wouldn't they still work fine (for our purposes) if they were blunted to about butter knife sharpness?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
probably

I've cut myself on the live center, too! Why do the live center and dead center have to be so sharp? Wouldn't they still work fine (for our purposes) if they were blunted to about butter knife sharpness?
If we are putting them in 7mm or bigger bushings I would think they could be rounded.

EarlD

Smitty, I used to build balsa RC planes. I didn't realize I had let thin CA run down two fingers when I hit the part with accelerator. It got really hot...really fast.

Earl

sbwertz

Smitty, I used to build balsa RC planes. I didn't realize I had let thin CA run down two fingers when I hit the part with accelerator. It got really hot...really fast.

Earl

When I first started using CA I managed to run the end of my finger into the sanding disk and since I was at a Woodcraft pen turning class at the time and didn't want anyone to notice what an Idiot I had been and was bleeding all over, I grabbed some thin CA and coated the whole tip of my finger with it, then to speed things up, I sprayed it with accelerator.

Mind, I'm in a class with five men, the only woman there, and didn't want to draw attention to my stupidity. When the CA kicked, I managed not to howl. There is NOTHING you can do but wait for it to cool. Won't make that error again soon.

ohiococonut

Now I don't feel so bad about some of the "things" I've done with ca, like gluing my middle toe to my slippers. I've also glued the ca bottle to my left hand while the cotton towel was smoldering and stuck to my right index finger. That stuff gets really Really hot! And before I found out BLO is used to accelerate the curing of ca I used some to coat my index finger thinking it's oil, why not, maybe it will stop the towel from sticking. NOT :eek: That's when I came here and found out otherwise :rolleyes:

We "should" all know how quickly ca sets but NO WHERE does it say it Will Burn The Hell Out of You!

I think pen turners should have been born with three hands for these just in case scenarios :biggrin:

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
How about that

I don't finish with CA so I didn't even realize that it burned until this thread...

I used it putting some model's together for my electric train setup years ago but never stuck my fingers together. Probably because I was gluing very small objects and applying the glue with a toothpick so never really got any to speak of on my hands

ohiococonut

Smitty, excuse my ignorance, I'm still new at this. If you don't use ca what do you use on wood and how do you get a nice shiney finish? I know there's some wood with natural oils that I just polish to a satin finish but other than that I'm clueless :confused:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Shellawax

Smitty, excuse my ignorance, I'm still new at this. If you don't use ca what do you use on wood and how do you get a nice shiney finish? I know there's some wood with natural oils that I just polish to a satin finish but other than that I'm clueless :confused:
I usually finish with shellawax from PSI several coats gives a nice finish on wood which I use in most of the pens I turn or in some cases just use a polish.

Most of the acrylics I don't use anything on. I just run them through sanding with micromesh to 12000 grit and then buff them a little.

I am personally not overly fond to the 'glass like' finish a lot of folks like so I don't use CA.

It is a matter of taste, if I wanted a pen to look like it was made of glass rather than wood, I'd get one made of glass....but that is just my taste.

ohiococonut

Smitty,
Thank you for the reply. I'm always looking for options and opinions, don't want to get caught up in one mind set. I'm certainly going to give it a try with some wood I would not normally do it with. I say normally because the bulk of my learning came from you tube and I'm still learning. This forum has certainly broadened my horizons.

sbwertz

I am personally not overly fond to the 'glass like' finish a lot of folks like so I don't use CA.

It is a matter of taste, if I wanted a pen to look like it was made of glass rather than wood, I'd get one made of glass....but that is just my taste.

I also don't like the plastic look of heavy CA finish. I usually use about 6 coats of CA/BLO which seals and protects the wood and gives it a nice shine while still looking and feeling like wood. I used to use a friction finish, but found it turned dull quickly in my husband's pocket in the summer when he sweats, so I want the durability of the CA without the extreme gloss. The CA/BLO gives me what I like, if I don't put on too many coats.

Kaspar

There's more than one way to get hurt in this penturning stuff.

That casein pen I've been showing? I had the first cap finial (w/ mounting post) all ready to be shined up with MM. I had the dead center for turning between centers in my lathe, so before knocking that out, I put the cap finial (and post) in my MT#2 collet chuck, and set it aside. Then I knocked out the dead center, and picked up the collet chuck. But it's rather heavy and slipped out of my hand. Like a pile driver it utterly crushed that perfectly matched casein finial. (The lucite post was fine. Tough stuff that lucite.) I knelt there looking at it for about ten minutes. I may have even shed a tear. I couldn't even look at the lathe the next day.

Lesson: do not chuck anything up until the chuck is actually mounted on the lathe.

Your event does sound a great deal more physically painful, I do admit.:wink::biggrin:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Stupidity got me today. Cut my thumb on the bandsaw, as I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I expected to be real bad, but my neighbor EMT got me going in no time. Although whatever he used to seal it up felt like a flamethrower.

damn, I am gonna save that one for one of the times I need...

"sweety, you think this is bad, at least I didn't glue both your hands to my workbench like this guy on the pen forum did..."

Top Bottom