Totally Turning 2011 Event

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

I came across a webpage describing the 2011 Totally Turning Symposium. It's being held in conjunction with the Fine Woodworking Showcase in Saratoga Springs NY on March 26 and 27.

As a new wood turner this event seems very exciting and informative. It appears there will be quite a few people giving demonstrations of various wood turning subjects.

I have never been to event like this and was just wondering what you thought about these types of events before I signed up.

Is anyone else considering attending this event?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobskio2003

Totally turning is a great experience to learn new techniques but so isn't the whole NWA showcase (in which Totally Turning resides). It really depends on what you want to learn. Last year I didn't do the Totally Turning but went to some of the "free" (free with paid admission into the showcase) demos. I usually go one day. Feel free to PM if you have other questions. Bob I.

monophoto

I live in Saratoga Springs, and have been to the Woodworker's Showcase a number of times. It's great fun, and a fabulous opportunity to learn and be inspired by the work that others do. And the only 'signing up' that is needed is to negotiate with the significant other to not have something else planned for that weekend.

Our problem is that it takes place on the same day as the Open House / Pancake Breakfast (with homemade maple syrup) at Merck Farms in Vermont - but we found last year that we can get over to the breakfast, and still be back in Saratoga for an afternoon at the Showcase.

MarkD

My problem is that's it a 3 1/2 hour drive to Saratoga Springs, so I almost have to spend a night or two there. Especially, since the pen demonstration is the first thing Saturday morning.
If I read the page correctly the demonstrations, at least the ones I see, require registration and payment in advance.

stolicky

Totally Turning is a great event that offers many options to choose from. I started this crazy hobby as a pen maker, and still enjoy it, but there are many other facets of turning that I have also tried and am intrigued by. I would recommending taking advantage of the opportunity to see other things if you have the chance. There are some really cool things that can be done on a lathe.

I am a member of the AWA who runs totally turning and I will, again, be doing photography and some AV at the event. If you have any questions, your best bet is to give Peter a call; as I am very disconnected from the registration process. There are a lot of moving parts to the event, and many operate somewhat independently.

It definitely creates a dilemma for you if you were looking to do a day trip. You might be able to find lodging cheaper in surrounding areas (if it is a concern). You can check other Saratoga options (which I think are somewhat limited) and you can also check Clifton Park and Latham, ~20-25 and ~30-35 minutes south, respectively.

The Showcase, itself, is really an amazing production. If you appreciate woodworking in general, it is well worth the effort to take a walk through the instant gallery. Oh, and hang on to your wallet in the vendors area, it can easily be emptied quickly! There are all kinds of tools we 'need' to have.

jdmacdo

I used to be a member of the NWA (the hosting organization) and would come up from Poughkeepsie for the event. The Totally Turning portion of the event was always somethign I was happy to sign up for - I always felt I got my money's worth.

One of the presenters is Kurt Hertzog, one of the 5 Council members of the Pen Makers Guild. Having a chance to interact with him should be worth the price alone.

Giles Gilson is a world-famous turner who has made pieces that I'm not even sure how they were done. Other members who will probably be there are Keith Thompkins and Steve Sherman (had a gallery shown in the current Woodturners magazine). They are 2 of the NWA members that have inspired me over the years, and even better people...

$175.00 for the weekend may seem high, but if you are interested in all components of turning (not just pens), the techniques you see are more than worth it...

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I checked in earlier today and put some of my work in the instant gallery. I missed the cut off date for the judged portion tho.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I saw several of Toni's pens on display in the gallery at Totally Turning in the Penmakers Guild Cabinet

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Also spotted pens by Jeff Powel, Anthony Turchetta, Don Ward and the late Russ Fairfield all in the PMG display.

Kurt Herzog and Ken Kallinshan had adjacent booths in the vendor area. Barry Gross had a booth.

Saw some great demos, the best I saw were by Andy DiPietro (Hollow Forms), Jennifer Shirley (Embellishing work), and Dale Nish (Reverse turned vases).

I loaned two of my PolyWhey finished pieces to the lady selling PolyWhey to include in her booth display. Folks came looking for me in the show to ask questions about applying the finish.

Top Bottom