Russ Fairfield has passed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

khertzog

I regret to inform the pen turning world that Russ Fairfield passed away on January 4th. He was 75 years old and passed peacefully. In honor of his many years of contributions to the woodturning and particularly the penturning community and with his wife Gerri's permission, the Principally Pens chapter of the AAW is implementing the First Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Pen Competition. Russ was the Secretary of the Principally Pens chapter and a long time AAW member. Details will follow but this "competition" is to be an annual event in honor of Russ and all of his contributions to the woodturning community.

GoodTurns

Painful news and a fitting tribute. any info on any memorial fund or such? As many here have said, Russ was a living legend in everyone's mind but his own and always willing and eager to help anyone willing to take the time to ask. He will be missed.

DocStram

Our sympathy to the Fairfield family. Not only did Russ teach us how to be a better penturner, but also how to be a better person. He was the "King of the Slimlines", a master of woodworking finishes, and one fine human being.

He always took time to help others, no question was beneath him, and he never hesitated to make fun of himself.

We lift our cups to one of the "Penturning Gods".

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Thoughts and prayers go out to the Fairfield family. Russ will always be remembered for his giving spirit here. The contest is a fitting way to do just that. I hope in 100 years the Russ Fairfield winner shares the same pride and remembrance of his giving spirit.

Scott

Many of us have stories about how Russ influenced us. I suggest you post those stories here, in some detail, and worded how you would tell his family about it. I will copy these and send them to his family when we've all had a chance to contribute.

Scott.

Fred

It is so sad to hear about another wonderful and caring individual passing on. To have learned so much from him is an honor that those of us who read of his turning experiences will always hold near to our hearts.

May Russ rest in peace for all of eternity and may God bless the Fairfield family and give them all comfort at this time of their loss.

tim self

Truly a great loss to the woodturning community. His free giving of knowledge was exemplary of many great passings. He will be sorely missed. My prayers go out to his family for comfort.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Russ was one of those people who you knew even if you never met him. I regret not meeting him in person yet he will always be part of my pen making.

PaulDoug

My condolences to Russ' family, friends and the turning community. His videos were the first ones I purchased when I started turning and wanted to learn to turn pens. I visited his site often and learned an awesome way to have razor sharp skews from him. Yes, he well be missed.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
As has been said....in this and other threads, if there is any memorial fund going then I'm up for it too.

I never got to meet with Russell and only got to converse with him here on IAP twice. But I'll always associate him with 'finishes'

To me, he was one of those guys that never said a lot, but what he did say, you could take to the bank.

Thanks Russ, rest in peace.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I regret to inform the pen turning world that Russ Fairfield passed away on January 4th. He was 75 years old and passed peacefully. In honor of his many years of contributions to the woodturning and particularly the penturning community and with his wife Gerri's permission, the Principally Pens chapter of the AAW is implementing the First Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Pen Competition. Russ was the Secretary of the Principally Pens chapter and a long time AAW member. Details will follow but this "competition" is to be an annual event in honor of Russ and all of his contributions to the woodturning community.

Kurt,

Thanks so much for posting this. We'll be making a similar tribute to Russ here during our anniversary event in February. Perhaps we can collaborate on some activity to honor one of the great men in the penmaking world.

phillywood

Kurt, thanks for the news.
Jeff, I hope you would try to organize that activity.
Like, I said before I have never had the chance to meet or chat with Russ, but from his articles and videos I feel that he was a great asset in the world of turning, May God give him a place in that world that he won't be missing us here on earth.
My heart and prayers go to Fairfield's family, and may God give them the strength to get through this time of sadness.

IPD_Mrs

Our deepest condolences to Russ' family and closest friends. While we all lost a great man in the pen turning world, we all know how difficult it is to say goodbye to a loved one. We will keep you all in our prayers and trust that your grief will be at least slightly comforted not only by the warm memories that you share, but also by the knowledge of how many lives Russ touched over the years and the improvement that he made in those of us that crossed his path in one way or another. God Bless.

Daniel

I thank Russ, for all he contributed to a craft I have enjoyed for so long. Even more I thank him for his example of participation in a community I hold so dearly.

hdtran

My thoughts and prayers go to Russ's family.

I took a penmaking class at Woodcraft, then, started doing some internet research. I found Russ Fairfield's website. Wow!!! I learned a whole ton from his writing!

I'm strictly an amateur, but I am about to make a few pens for an auction benefit for our kids' school. I'll name one of the pens "In memory of Russ Fairfield."

LarryDNJR

I am sad to hear of his passing. My thoughts go out to his family and hope they do well during this time.

Never had the chance to interact with him but he sounds like a great man from everything I've ready of him the past week.

LEAP

Russ was a great inspiration to all who knew or even knew of him. He will be sadly missed. When I first started pen turning I sent Russ a note asking about the Russline pen diameters. He not only took the time to answer my question and a few I had not thought to ask but sent a warm welcome to the penturning community. Bon Voyage Russ May you rest in peace.

tbroye

Watching Russ's videos taught me how to apply a CA finish, watched them many time and still review them when I run into trouble. I was hoping to meet him this spring when I visited a former coworker and friend who retired to Post Fall Idaho. MY thoughts and Prayers are with Russ and his family at this painful time.

dkarcher

Such a sad day indeed. Russ helped me a lot with his videos and posts. Learned a lot about CA finishes and techniques.

We will miss you. Prayers to your family!

nava1uni

I had correspondence with Russ and he always answered my questions and gave me more then I originally asked for in first place. I was finally able to meet him last May at the Utah Woodturning Symposium and I learned a lot in his sessions. His manner was easy and I felt like he really listened to me and was very willing to share his knowledge.
He will be missed by the many people that he touched and taught this amazing craft of making writing instruments. I valued the pen he gave me, but it will have even more value because I feel like I can look at it and see the expertise and care that went into it and see what I want to strive for in my future pen making.

its_virgil

Picture on the right: Russ Fairfield at the Utah Symposium in May 2010

Picture on the left: Russ Fairfield at the Craft Supplies Open House prior to the Utah Symposium. Note the white board...Russ was telling about the hardness of finishes using the pencil hardness test.

Rest in Peace, my friend.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• russ 2.jpg
    russ 2.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Russ 1.jpg
    Russ 1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 154

ossaguy

That's such sad news.I never knew him,but I learned so much from his videos,they really inspired me when I was just getting interested in pen turning.

What a great man he was! It's amazing to think of all of the lives that he touched.

Prayers going out for his family during this time of great loss.

Steve

PenWorks

Such sad news to hear. I had the pleasure to finally meet Russ at the Utah symposiums. We had some great chats. What a talent and a gentleman, a great loss to the woodturning community. My sympathy to his family.

Top Bottom