This Weeks' Worth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

KDM

First go at a Sierra. This was commissioned by a friend who wanted a "fat pencil" He specified teh blank, which is a custom PR red swirl in black.

(Click for enlargements.)

This is the big brother of my Axminster purple swirl pen. Irridescent purple / blue swirl on a Euro kit:

(Click for enlargement.)

This, I'm really pleased with. Mostly because I cut the wood out of the tree myself! Found a felled beech in a nearby forest, and hacked a lump off it. Left it out in the back garden and forgot about it for about 2 years. Brought it into the garage and let it dry out for about 3 years! Hacked it up just to see what it would look like. See how it spalted? Amazing orange streaks. CA finish.

(Click for ... are you getting the idea yet?)

The blanks for the above are seen here. Since these photos, I treated the wood in a solution of acrylic in acetone, because otherwise it was a little bit crumbly.

Ooops - nearly forgot this perfume atomizer, but it deserves a thread of its own...

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Nice stuff. I love finding wood like that. I cut a dead sweetgum down with my dad after showing him how to get it done in such a tough area, and we found it to be bone dry and spaulted from top to bottom. In some areas there's extremespaulting and orange spots. I don't think we'll need more anytime soon. Dad has a small mountain of blanks in his basement now.

Top Bottom