Name That Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KDM

Folks,

anyone any clues what this wood is? I'm pretty sure the streaks are spalting. All I know is that I have loads of it and it's nice and dry and turns up a real treat.

Here's another photo. Same wood, but the pieces are about twice as thick...

Click for enlargements.

I'm afraid there are no prizes, but if you're local, I can send you a few blanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew Arndts

OR a spalted beech. which without actually holding in me hand. The Beech has areas of very stone washed khaki jean coloring.

KDM

Whatever it is, it grew in Northern Ireland. I hacked it off a dead tree a few years ago. I'm not sure we get maple here. I'll go back to the forest and see if I can tell what kind of trees grow there. (I doubt I could even recognise a tree if it were alive!) I suppose beech is more likely, but doesn't beech have little sort of dark dots in it?

keithkarl2007

Not always, I've never come across maple here in Ireland but with the colouring of the streaks I would say its Beech also.

philb

Looking at the little flecks in the grain, like gold/silvery colourations. Id say it was beech.

Especially from the top piece in the larger round blanks.

PHIL

hewunch

I have never seen any maples in Ireland either. In fact, I have never seen ANY thing in Ireland :biggrin: If my choices are beech and and maple, I will have to go with beech.

workinforwood

I bet someone has a Maple over there...but I can see what you mean, if it's not a natural tree, it's obviously not that. Maple, Beech, poplar, they can be very similar looking wood. I have a couple Maple trees from Russia in my yard. I love buying cool foreign trees that will grow here. The Maple tree from Russia has weird leaves..same seeds though, and all the bark on the tree turns red in the winter, then back to green with red stripes in the summer. I had one of them die this summer. That tree was in a spot with zero shade and It the leaves burned right up. I think the tree likes some shade/sun mix, as the one out front really seems to like being behind the huge cottonwood tree.

1080Wayne

Internal structure of a tree that radiates outward from the pith . Imagine small pieces of paper of varying vertical height and length placed on radial lines from the center of the tree to the bark . When cut in X-section , you will see the lines (rays) radiating outward . Most easily seen on oak , where some of the rays can be very wide . Beech is intermediate between oak and maple in the width of the rays .

KDM

I've just unearthed a piece of spalted mango. The wood I have cannot possibly be mango, but it looks amazingly similar. These photos of mango look like a darker version of what I have.

Does that give you experts any more of a clue?

Top Bottom