Gold Nugget

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Playing with some ideas.

I went to Michael's and used my latest 40% off coupon to buy some gold leaf. Cast it into Silmar 41 in a 3/4" pipe.

Mixing the leaf into the resin caused it to bunch up into little balls which I think actually looks cooler than the flat pieces I was expecting. It takes a while though. Have to lay a few pieces flat on top of the resin, then gently push it under. Gotta do it slowly or you get an air pocket. I used half of a 3 gram package of leaf for 8 ounces of resin. No color added to the resin. I thought I might prefer the depth of clear resin with a painted hole.

I'll make it into something this weekend and we'll see if I'm right!

goldnugget01.jpg

goldnugget02.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

Nice looking blank! Can't wait to see what it looks like on a pen!

Of course, gold dropped about $30 an ounce yesterday, so cost-wise, you're already behind the eightball! :eek::rolleyes::biggrin:

el_d

Sweet, Looks like there is a project for a Goldschläger pen!!!!

Goldschläger and I no longer get along but It would make a nice pen.

DurocShark

Here's the first pen. I used an El Grande because of how thin the material is around the tubes. This is a worst case pen for this kind of blank. Much of the gold is removed, but was enough left behind?

I think I would prefer more density of the gold in the final pen. Not a lot more, but some. 50% more gold in the resin should do it. What do you think?

elgrandeblkgldngt03.jpg

http://donimages.com/wood/images/elgrandeblkgldngt01.jpg
http://donimages.com/wood/images/elgrandeblkgldngt02.jpg
http://donimages.com/wood/images/elgrandeblkgldngt04.jpg

pianomanpj

That slim looks great! Are you painting the tubes, inside of the blank, or both? Tinted glue, maybe? Not familiar with the centerband. Is that one of your own? Again, fantastic work!

DurocShark

Inside of the blank is what gets painted. Provides for a 3d effect not only with this gold, but with swirled mica too.

The cb is just layers of brass and aluminum. I turned down the last layer of brass to match the bottom half of the pen. A new idea I'm playing with. I like it so far.

bobleibo

Increased the amount of gold by 50% (guesstimate).

I like this better.

camultblknug04.jpg

Don
This is without a doubt one of the best looking pens I have ever seen here and I am not big fan of the overly "blingy" kind! Just the right amount of gold vs. color and a perfect match to the kit. Very classy looking. Would I be correct to assume that the color that you paint the inside of the blank has a lot to do with the final color outcome? The black/gold combo is awesome. When you start selling the blanks, put me on the list.
Cheers
Bob

DurocShark

Yeah, the resin is clear. I don't add color to it so the gold is visible the entire depth (shallow as it is in a Cambridge or El Grande). I've done red and white as well.

I also have some silver nugget resin waiting for me to do something with it.

Christian

Don

The first one with the black field and less gold is, to me, one of the most beautiful pens I have ever seen. It just seems to scream CLASS!!!. You have done an exceptional job on all of these but that black one is just THE ONE!.

Thank you for showing and explaining your route.

Christian

Top Bottom