Australian Banksia "hairy" pods pen & pendant blanks casted in PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Hi everyone...! <<[Add end 30/10/2010]>>

You may be interested in some of the Australian Banksia "hairy" pods Resifill pen blanks that I've made a few weeks back, after failing the Banksia "flower" casting attempt, as per this thread. Most of the pics are in it, so you can have a look if you didn't already...!

Anyway, I've got a fair amount of pods cut and ready for casting at any time in all the 3 cut types I've initially casted, ST (straight cut) X (cross cut) and Z (diagonal cut) and a few that I've made on the first batch. Below are the number and cut type I have done (casted) and I will be able to make some more at any time and have them ready for posting within 1 week from ordering...!

Blanks size is approx. 21mm square x 130mm long with square corners removed. ST & Z weighs 60gr. each and X weights 70gr. each (less pod more resin)

Prices are the same for all Resifill pen blanks @ AU$4.00 each + postage

*- Banksia "hairy" pods Resifill pen blanks in (ST) cut x 11 blanks
*- Banksia "hairy" pods Resifill pen blanks in (X) cut x 17
*- Banksia "hairy" pods Resifill pen blanks in (Z) cut x 5

I have also sliced some pods into discs for pendants, these are also casted in clear PR @ AU$3.00 each

Pendant blank size is approx. 60mm diameter and 13mm thick @ 45gr. in weight, each.

Freight cost to US and Canada is;

*- AU$23.00 Registered post Air-mail for 500gr (0.5kg)
*- AU$29.50 Registered post Air-mail for 750gr (0.750kg)
*- AU$35.50 Registered post Air-mail for 1.000gr (1.0kg)

Please, make your orders or expressions of interest in this post, as 15% of blanks sales will be donated to IAP...! Thank you.

Payments by Paypal, only...!

For any other info, please send me a PM.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC08834.jpg
    PIC08834.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 485
  • PIC08837.jpg
    PIC08837.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 390
  • PIC09026.jpg
    PIC09026.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 391
  • PIC09025.jpg
    PIC09025.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 316
  • PIC08832.jpg
    PIC08832.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 510
  • PIC09027.jpg
    PIC09027.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 325
  • PIC09034.jpg
    PIC09034.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

Hi George....I would the 1 kg package filled with #2,3,4. of the hairy pod pen blank in clear resin that was in your previous thread ( I will use them for dip pens with little drilling or turning). I also want 2 more of the darker wine pen blanks like the ones I purchased from you last month and the balance of the envelope will be in the pendants. Let me know the total and I will send you a paypal. I have the previous order of pen blanks still drying in my furnace room and there have been no cracks so they must have been quite dry. Thanks Darrell Eisner Scotian12 in Canada

robutacion

Hi George....I would the 1 kg package filled with #2,3,4. of the hairy pod pen blank in clear resin that was in your previous thread ( I will use them for dip pens with little drilling or turning). I also want 2 more of the darker wine pen blanks like the ones I purchased from you last month and the balance of the envelope will be in the pendants. Let me know the total and I will send you a paypal. I have the previous order of pen blanks still drying in my furnace room and there have been no cracks so they must have been quite dry. Thanks Darrell Eisner Scotian12 in Canada

Hi Darrell,

Sorry mate but I need a little more clarification about the pen blanks and to what you mean with #2,3,4...???
What you see in the mentioned post, are pics of the turned samples are, 1 sample showing its 4 faces from the blank cut in that particular cut style, so what I need is to know what cut style you want (ST), (Z) or (X) and how many of each...!:biggrin:

The rest I can work out easy...!:wink:

PS: Good to know that your vine blanks are doing really good, time for action, maybe...? I'm still to see 1 (one) pen made from those blanks...!:frown:

Cheers
George

scotian12

Hi George....what I am referring to is your post under Casting and Stabilization----What a hole of a messy PR blow. Its dated Sept 13,2010. Then go down to post #9 on Sept 21. It shows five pictures at the bottom of the thread. I thought they were all different blanks but I guess you are saying its the same blank shown on four different sides. I believe it is the cross cut banksia hairy pad. What I like about this blank is that I can see the hairy part of the pod inside the resin. This is the effect I want. I will retain this look by rounding the blank, drilling a 7mm hole in the end and inserting the round chamber to hold the caligraphy nib. The more hairy parts in the blank the better :). I hope this is clearer.I'll try and get a grape vine pen trned in the next few weeks but I have a number of large production orders on the go. Regards Darrell Eisner

robutacion

Hi George....what I am referring to is your post under Casting and Stabilization----What a hole of a messy PR blow. Its dated Sept 13,2010. Then go down to post #9 on Sept 21. It shows five pictures at the bottom of the thread. I thought they were all different blanks but I guess you are saying its the same blank shown on four different sides. I believe it is the cross cut banksia hairy pad. What I like about this blank is that I can see the hairy part of the pod inside the resin. This is the effect I want. I will retain this look by rounding the blank, drilling a 7mm hole in the end and inserting the round chamber to hold the caligraphy nib. The more hairy parts in the blank the better :). I hope this is clearer.I'll try and get a grape vine pen trned in the next few weeks but I have a number of large production orders on the go. Regards Darrell Eisner

Right Darrell, I got'cha...!:wink:

In fact, I'm been thinking in cast some of the cross cut but instead of trying to centre the pod and than add some lose hair in each end to brake the total clear resin without anything else, I was thinking is do some where I would bring the pod to one end, either top or bottom (will make no difference) and then use some of the hairs from cut-off's to compose in a matching orientation to joint to the hairs from the end on the pod. This would make probably also easier or a different approach to the way the blank is cut for a 2 piece pen, where at the moment the pod centre will pretty much be cut in half where with this other casting, you can have one end of the pen with the pod body and the other part as a longer "tail" sort of speak of the pod, all the way through.

If you are happy with the ones I showed before, is all fine if you aren't sure and would like to see some done the way I just said, is easily done also as I will get some done and show them here...!:wink:

Is good to have choices, huh...???:biggrin:

Cheers
George

scotian12

George...not to be a bother but could I see some more in the second way you describe. I like the hairy effect and think it will be a good conversation piece. One should be able to see through the clear resin to see the hair particles. I then would combine it with a written piece on what the pod is all about...sort of educate the customer to something new. Regards Darrell

robutacion

George...not to be a bother but could I see some more in the second way you describe. I like the hairy effect and think it will be a good conversation piece. One should be able to see through the clear resin to see the hair particles. I then would combine it with a written piece on what the pod is all about...sort of educate the customer to something new. Regards Darrell

Sure Darrell, I will get some done tomorrow...!:wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

More pendant blanks...!

I've got some more pendants finished today so, here it is a pic of the group.

There are numbered, some that you can select what you like and let me know...!

You will also notice that the 3 pendants on the very top of the pic, don't show any hairs from the Banksia pod. This indeed as a little funny story that will be told in the other Banksia related thread mentioned on my first post, go and see...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC09453.jpg
    PIC09453.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 301

robutacion

Banksia Resifill blanks X-L (cross cut - long)

Hi Darrell,

Here it is the Banksia pod X cross cut (long) pen Resifill blank.

The hairs go straight trough to the end of the blanks, on the left...!
11 x blanks in stock.

Take your pick and let me know, while we are into "picking" have a look on the pendants blanks I posted last and let me know which ones (numbers) you want...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC09532.jpg
    PIC09532.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 256
  • PIC09534.jpg
    PIC09534.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 337
  • PIC09533.jpg
    PIC09533.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 219
  • PIC09531.jpg
    PIC09531.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 262
  • PIC09520.jpg
    PIC09520.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

scotian12

Hi George....for the pen blanks I will go for # 2,3,5 in the X cut as shown in your latest picture, also pendants # 5,7,8,10,11 and 2 grape vine pen blanks. See if they will fit in the 1kg shipping package. Paypal me the total plus shipping to Canada to Scotian12. Thanks for the additional pictures.Darrell Eisner

robutacion

Hi George....for the pen blanks I will go for # 2,3,5 in the X cut as shown in your latest picture, also pendants # 5,7,8,10,11 and 2 grape vine pen blanks. See if they will fit in the 1kg shipping package. Paypal me the total plus shipping to Canada to Scotian12. Thanks for the additional pictures.Darrell Eisner

Ok, so 3 X cross cut Resifills (first batch), 5 pendant blanks and 2 vine blanks, being locked in, I weight them in and let you know how we are for total weight...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Ok, so 3 X cross cut Resifills (first batch), 5 pendant blanks and 2 vine blanks, being locked in, I weight them in and let you know how we are for total weight...!

Cheers
George

Well Darren, we have a "long" way to go yet, so far with the postal box included we have 550gr out of the 1.000gr target so, "give it to me babe"...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

What else can I serve you with, Sir...???

Cheers
George

Last edited:

scotian12

Hi George....In a shipment of grape vine pen blanks I received from you a few months back the blanks were great for pens up to the Junior sized pens but a bit tight for the full sized Statesman. Emperior etc. If you have 4 large sized grapevine pen blanks then put them in the package and send them along. Otherwise, send paypal request and ship the parcel. Thanks for your efforts. Darrell Einer

robutacion

Hi George....In a shipment of grape vine pen blanks I received from you a few months back the blanks were great for pens up to the Junior sized pens but a bit tight for the full sized Statesman. Emperior etc. If you have 4 large sized grapevine pen blanks then put them in the package and send them along. Otherwise, send paypal request and ship the parcel. Thanks for your efforts. Darrell Einer

OK so, in that case we better target the 750gr package @ AU$29.50 and I see what else I can fit in. I will get you the first 2 plus the extra 4 vine blanks in dead wood at 21+mm square x 130mm long, as these are dry and don't shrink as those that I cut with the 2 tone (half dead, half green wood), the green wood has shrunk in some cases beyond my worst expectations, making the available diameter for a pen not sufficient for bigger size pens...!

I have actually, advised everyone that the 2 tone ones would endup a little smaller than expected. Still, their size is more than sufficient for 85% of the most popular pen sizes, and those that were cut at the time, all have the same problem but, and as the vine dries, I've been cutting groups of pen blanks every month and I can see a slight improvement of the wood reaction after sliced up, than when they were first brought home..! It will reach a stage where they all will be cut at the normal sizes I cut them out and they will maintain that size afterwards..!:wink:

Here we go;
*- 3 x cross cut (first batch) Resifill pen blanks @ AU$4 each = AU$12.00
*- 5 x pendants @ AU$3 each = AU$15.00
*- 6 x Vine raw pen blanks @ AU$1.50 each = AU$9.00
*- 1 x Air-freight 750gr charge Registered Post @ AU$29.50
TOTAL = AU$65.50

Please, Paypal me to nyodine@yahoo.com.au the amount of AU$65.50 and I should have some extra weight left for some "Gifts":wink::biggrin:

Sale value AU$36.00 x -15% (IAP donation) of AU$5.40 :)

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear...!:wink:

Thank you!

Cheers
George

scotian12

Hi George....Paypal sent. Looking forward to this unusual wood/resin shipment. Thanks for your patience in providing the pictures. Darrell Eisner PS I didn't notice any shrinkage of the first shipment of grapevine blanks. I have them in my furnace room and there has been no cracking. I will continue to let them dry a bit longer.

robutacion

Hi George....Paypal sent. Looking forward to this unusual wood/resin shipment. Thanks for your patience in providing the pictures. Darrell Eisner PS I didn't notice any shrinkage of the first shipment of grapevine blanks. I have them in my furnace room and there has been no cracking. I will continue to let them dry a bit longer.

Thanks Darrell,

Your payment has been received, parcel will be posted tomorrow.:wink:

I'm glad that your first vine batch blanks are doing so well, I noticed a lot of shrinkage of the 2 tone ones where, as I said, I wanted to give the 2 woods transition as an feature and main point of the blank. The 2 colours are so extreme that the effect is just beautiful, as you have seen in the 2 tone sample I shown but, while the dead wood that is not really wood, is dead therefore, dry and stable the green wood, that is not really wood, is full of sticky sap which is a lot more than just water (doesn't taste good either...!:eek:), the cracking, shrinkage and twisting has been a bummer on the first blanks batches made, not even the soaking in the Fungishield (wood stabilizer) has worked so, I have to let nature do its thing and allow the green vine wood to die/dry on its passes, in the meantime I'm focussing more on the pieces where I can get most of the dead wood or just very small portions of the green stuff with them...!

Oh... did I told you that I have started to make some Resifills out of the vine dead wood stuff...???:rolleyes::biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Another type of Banksia pods available to me...!

Hi everyone

I have found another Banksia species, this time the tree is in my auto mechanic's property and the Banksia tree is near the house being full of dry pods that need to be cut out (this will stimulate new flowers/pods growth).

I can have as many pods as I want and I though in doing the pod trimming for him, allowing some casting experimentations later on. I have not yet looked at the name of this Banksia species on Google under (Banksia species pictures) and match my pics with the samples...!

Anyway, I just tough in letting you all know that I will have a box full of these pods within this month. I would have no problem is sending same Banksia pods (both species) for you guys to try your own castings but, is my believe that Customs will not allow these pods to be sent in their natural state or your country Customs will not allow them to enter the country???. I will try to look into that as soon as I can...!

I have manage to get some quite nice pictures from this small tree, so enjoy...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC09655.jpg
    PIC09655.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 185
  • PIC09656.jpg
    PIC09656.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 173
  • PIC09657.jpg
    PIC09657.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 182
  • PIC09660.jpg
    PIC09660.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 177
  • PIC09658.jpg
    PIC09658.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 181
  • PIC09661.jpg
    PIC09661.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 176
  • PIC09662.jpg
    PIC09662.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 187

David Keller

Those look like pods I have purchased before, but I'm not sure about customs regulations. I've always purchased them from people here in the states.

robutacion

This thread is "CLOSE"...!

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that, this add will close at the end of this months (October 2010)...!

Cheers
George

OK peoples, that's it...!:wink:

This thread is now, <<<<<<<<<<<<<CLOSED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you, to "those" purchasing some of these blanks...!

The IAP 15% of sales donation, will now be forwarded.:biggrin:

Thank you!

Cheers
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom