Dayacom Group Buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Are you interested in a masseve Dayacom group buy?

• Total voters

Mapster

I have found a dayacom group buy is impractical. The thread did not go in the direction I planned. A group buy from Gary in Australia is a possibility, but dayacom is out of the picture. It was a good discussion

Last edited:
IF this happened, it may be easier to have one person in each area be the receiver/distributor for everone around them. For example, have everyone's kits in the Kansas City area go to one person and those folks all meet up to divy them out. This would make the job easier on the group buy organizer(s).

Definitely interested, but would this be just covering the high end kits that we don't want to see disappear, or all Dayacom kits?

Last edited:

Mapster

That is the beauty of it! We could buy any kit they sell that enough of us are interested in. If we want 250 of any kit, we could buy it also.

Mapster

Anyone who would want some kits at a discounted price. You would have to pay for your own international shipping. All the kits would go to one person, and everyone would pay that person to ship the kits to them.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Perhaps a better way to approach this would be to call or write to CSUSA or other Dayacom distributors, and explain that you'd like to see them continue to carry this kit. If they have large enough numbers asking about it, then they might be persuaded to bring the kit back.

Andrew

Mapster

The thing is though, Maxwell, then we have a middle man out for a profit. That jacks up the price greatly. If we have enough people interested, why tell them and let them raise the prices when we can get all the kits we want at the discounted price.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Just that the middle man then assumes the risk for the inevitable damaged kits, as well as laying out the money to order the kits and not having to worry about any of the troubles that will arise...or it takes longer than usual.

Many times, these international purchases end up taking much longer than expected, with a few extra unexpected hiccups.

Mapster

Thus far we have 5 people interested, lets say maybe we reach 50, then it starts getting realistic and we can start crunching some numbers. EVERYONE interested must vote and say they are interested to get this going.

Mapster

No matter how long it takes, we could stock up for a year worth of turning if we buy enough kits. With the size of the buy I am thinking we could do, possibly 200-1000 people, we could take the hit of the damaged kits. We could get maybe 100 extra and if there are 20 damaged, we would have 80 to divy up amongst those who helped the most.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Only problem is Dayacom will not deal with individuals, only businesses.
And please give the source for your first Fact.

Mapster

So far it is 3/4 interested to 1/4 not. If 3/4 of us that make these high end pens participate, we would have astronomical power in numbers. probably 1000+ people.

Mapster

We could have one business that would do the dealing. We all give that business person our money and that person gathers it up and makes the deal. That first fact is what I keep seeing come up in every Dayacom post. I am not 100% sure it is true, but that is what many members have said, I am trusting them.

Mapster

Here is how I planned it. Lets say we work with, just an example, not to be taken literally, but lets say we get ed4copies with exotic blanks to work with us. I say I want 10 jr emperors. We get everyone involved and there is a total of 780 jr emperors. Ed talks with Dayacom and finds the price would be $18 a piece for the jr emperors. I would then send Ed $180 for my share plus $5 for shipping. Everyone else would send him money for their share. He will have collected $14,040 for the kits. he would then send that to Dayacom. The rest he would keep to use for shipping the pens to us. He would work with a local chapter to share the work, and we would each be nice and send an extra $5 for their services. Overall, I would spend $190 and get $180 worth of kits, and we would make Ed's time worthwhile.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
As having been the participant of many a group buy, and having actually purchased from China directly myself, you will need to be realistic when estimating shipping and handling, and also be prepared for some importing headaches, if you dont already have that part figured out. I would be interested in purchasing some kits, depending on what was ordered.

Parson

CSUSA discontinued all those expensive, bulky, and very Asian looking designs for a reason... low sales.

I indicated in the poll I would participate but now that I saw the other poll and what they've discontinued, I'm not interested. They're all way too gaudy and cheesy looking to me (just my personal opinion).

Mapster

We can order anything you want. We can only estimate realistically after enough people respond to this thread saying they want in. That poll will help a lot JB. The two of them go hand in hand. Good idea.

Mapster

Parson, don't be discouraged. We can get anything. You personally don't have to get the expensive, bulky, and very Asian looking designs even if other people do. You could get some majestics, or statemans, it doesn't have to be discontinued. We would be able to get statesmans for a discount, probably much cheaper than CSUSA's quantity discounts even.

Last edited:

witz1976

I am not interested mostly because of:

A. I never made any of these styles before so I have no clue if they would sell well or not.

B. I agree 100% with Monty on this one. I do not want to take over the job of our distributors. It is their job to stock hundreds of kits in all the colors. Not ours. If there are so many people who want this but demand a lower price tell THEM. If they knew that we wanted to buy 1000 kits at a time wouldn't you think they would love to sell us that? There was previous mention of working with Ed & Dawn on this this is great and all, but why not work with CSUSA? They have the deeper pockets to perhaps make this work, Not to say that Ed & Dawn don't (i really have no clue) but this may be something they may not even be interested in yet. (Although I know Ed will insert his .02 worth, and look forward to it)

Mapster

I was using Ed and Dawn as an example because everyone knows them, that was not being literal. If there was a sure-fire way to convince CSUSA to carry what we want at reasonable prices, that would be a much easier solution to our problem. I am not sure if they will do that for us though, so this is just another idea. That is a good idea also, and if enough of us are interested in this group buy, we can first contact CSUSA with that proposition.

sefali

I'd be interested, but only for items not for sale by US distributors. I really think it's a bad idea to bypass our retailers in such a small niche market as pen components. For items that are not already for sale, great, but not for items that are still being sold by CSUSA, Ed, WoodTurningz..... In such a small market, that might cause too much damage. One of the reasons I think Dyacom won't sell to individuals.

glycerine

Only problem is Dayacom will not deal with individuals, only businesses.
And please give the source for your first Fact.

Are you sure? Because I think they may be getting desperate. I sent them an email the other day asking for a list of resellers because I was interested in the Imperial (Bamboo) and CSUSA no longer carried it. What they sent back was pricing info. See below. They seem to be very eager to do business considering that's not even what I asked them for!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Email contents:

Dear Mr. Jeremy Phillips,

Thanks your enquiry of our Bamboo (Imperial) pens.

Please find our attachment file for our offer for Bamboo Rollerball/Fountain pen kits at Rhodium/22k and
Rhodium/Black Titanium for your order's decision.

The minimum order's quantity must be 500pcs each, so that we can arrange it into our production
accordingly.

Let us know if we could be of any further service to you.

Kind regards,

Sabina Hsu / Secretary,
www.dayacom.com.tw

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Excel attachment contents:

DAYACOM INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD.
TO: Jeremy Phillips quotation
DATE: AUGUST,19,2010 UNIT/PRICE
PARTS NUMBER DESCRIPTION MOQ FOB TAIWAN
131-4181 BAMBOO ROLLERBALL PEN KIT RHODIUM/22K 500 US$29.35
131-4182 BAMBOO FOUNTAIN PEN KIT RHODIUM/22K 500 US$33.30
131-4183 BAMBOO ROLLERBALL PEN KIT RHODIUM/BLACK TITANIUM 500 US$23.50
131-4184 BAMBOO FOUNTAIN PEN KIT RHODIUM/BLACK TITANIUM 500 US$27.50

SHIPMENT WITHIN 45-50 DAYS AFTER RECEIPT OF YOUR WIRE
TRANSFER PAYMENT IN ADVANCE.

DAYACOM INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD.

ANGUS LEE / PRESIDENT,
AL/SC,

Mapster

Glycerine that is great news! That means that this could be more possible than I previously thought. Thanks for that info. 500 per pen type isn't bad. That is manageable.

glycerine

Glycerine that is great news! That means that this could be more possible than I previously thought. Thanks for that info. 500 per pen type isn't bad. That is manageable.

Well, they may still refuse to sell to me (or any other "individual"), but it seems more promising since they sent me the info as if they are expecting an order from me.
I just wanted to throw that out there, because I have always heard that you have to be a "re-seller" through them and they don't just deal with anyone. But the email seems as if they are ready and willing. It might just be that they don't have many resellers of that particular kit and are hoping that I will be the next one to pick it up from them... who knows.

Russianwolf

That's not per type, its per type and plating. No mix and match.

So for the Bamboo you are looking at a minimum $11750+ shipping for just the BT Rollerball. If you want the BT Fountain $$13750+ shipping.

If you want all for styles, $56,825+ shipping. It gets real expensive real fast, which is why Ed did the other poll and decided not to pursue. He and I had similar ideas around the same time for making a one stop shop for pen makers, and I've shared some of the ideas I've had with him where my concept differed. But one thing we agree on is we can not compete with the major players in this, we just don't have access to the capital to get it off the ground and sit there.

Mapster

But they would be that much more likely to sell to one of us that have an actual business going even if it is a one person business.

Mapster

Monty, that is yet another good idea. That could be good if we could get that going. The exchange would be a little strange though.

scotian12

If you look at the specials on Gary Pye's home page you will see that he is giving 20 % off until the end of August. That is on the high end kits we are looking for...Lotus, Statesman, Jr. statesman, emperor, Jr Emperor. Perhaps he would give you a special buy on other styles. You can still do a group buy to save on shipping but once you reship to an individual then the savings get eroded.I did a buy last month from Gary Pye and it only took a couple of weeks to reach me in Canada. I also saved a bit on the exchange. Darrell Eisner

jskeen

Guys, this sounds like a great plan, and I'm all for buying a few kits when it happens, IF they are cheap enough, and IF the money comes due when I happen to have some spare cash. But I gotta say, that's a very low value buy in for whoever the sucker... er um adventuresome individual is that decides to take this on. My tentative commitment to buy a few kits if I can is not going to move the needle very far on the minimum order guage. Counting hands that get raised to get in on a good deal is pretty easy. Getting paid can be harder. Don't get me wrong, We're a good bunch of people here, I don't think anybody would try to abuse the system, but you know, Stuff Happens!

Some things to think about.

How do you plan to move all this money around? Paypal? I Think you will find that get's more expensive than you think, and can cause headaches with the Infernal Revenue Service if you're not careful.

Who's going to deal with the customs and importation headaches and costs. Those things have a nasty habit of going up at the last minute, when it's difficult to recoup them.

Who's going to spend the time to set up the deal with China. Really? You done that before? You got a day job? You enjoy sleeping at night rather than being on the phone at 3am? Good luck!

We seem to be working under the assumption that the people who usually make and sell a bunch of these, will order a bunch. But, Will they? It's been known for a while that these kits are going out of stock at CS. Did they stock up before they were gone? When will they need more? Anytime soon?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this thing fly, I'll be happy to help with the sort and pack for my area if it's close enough, and all that jazz, but I just don't want somebody to jump in and start this thing, take a bunch of orders and money, and then figure out that it's harder, takes longer and costs more than they've got in patience, time and cash.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
A question on the design of the poll. Why does it matter who is not interested? Educate me on why that's important.

Top Bottom