**PITH 2010 Sign-ups-CLOSED**

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The UnPith is over. PITH 2010 has begun!!!

Pen In The Hat (PITH) is underway. For those who may not know, PITH is a form of pen exchange. If we could all get together in one place we would all put a pen in a hat. Everyone would draw a pen out of the hat to keep for their own. Obviously, we can't all get together, so we try and do the next best thing. Names of participants will be drawn by me in pairs. The pairings will be posted and partners will make pens to exchange with each other.

This activity is for penturners of ALL skill levels. It does not matter if you have only made 1 pen or 10,000 pens. If you think that your offering won't be good enough, you are wrong. This is a pen swap, not a competition. Put forth your best effort and I am willing to bet that whoever receives your pen will be thrilled to know that you made it just for them.

There will be two groups. Group #1 is beginner and lower intermediate. Group #2 is upper intermediate and advanced. You decide what group you would like to be placed in. Many IAP members would rather there not be two groups, just one big group. So don't get hung up on which group you belong in. I'll say this again, put forth your best effort and I am willing to bet that whoever receives your pen will be thrilled to know that you made it just for them. Please, only sign up for one of the groups. Anyone who posts that they can be placed in either group will be initially placed in group 2 but might later be changed to group 1 if the need arises..

Entrants must be willing to ship internationally. Exceptions will be made when possible on a case by case basis.

This is the thread to use for sign-ups. Sign-ups posted in any other thread, by PM, email, verbal, etc. will probably (depends on the circumstances) not be accepted. Post your IAP User name, country of residence and group preference in this thread. Sign-ups will close at 11:00am EDT on July 31, 2010. (If you don't make that deadline but still want to participate PM me and I'll work something out for you.)

When sign-ups are closed I will put everyone's name in virtual hats and make the random pairings. If at all possible, this process will take place at a "special meeting" to be held at Gordy's Bar and Grill* and will be witnessed by one or more Central Ohio IAP members. Pairings will be posted as soon as possible after the drawing is complete..

I will not participate in the PITH unless one or both groups has an odd number of entrants. I'll even things out as needed or step in if someone is forced to drop out before the swap is complete.

Once the pairings have been posted contact your partner. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, stay in contact with your partner. PM or email each other once per week just to let him/her know that you are still alive, healthy, and that the pen is in the works, has been sent, has been received, etc., until the swap is complete. Life happens and sometimes something will arise that takes precedence over a pen swap. Simply contact me and let your partner know that there will be a delay, or that you are unable to complete the swap. It's OK. I will either find another partner or I will act as a substitute. What is not OK is just disappearing. Anyone who falls off the grid during the PITH without letting their partner and me know what's going on will be dropped from this PITH and may be banned from the next PITH. Additionally, the name of the individual will be forwarded to other IAP event organizers and they may choose to exclude the individual from other events as well. This is not meant to put a damper on the fun. Quite the contrary. It is absolutely no fun at all to complete and send a pen to someone and receive or hear nothing back.

The theme for this years PITH celebrates our International community, The International Association of Penturners. Participants in this years PITH are to make their pens in the national colors of the country in which their partner lives. If your partner lives in The United States - Red, White & Blue; Canada - Red & White; Japan – Red & White, Sweden – Blue & Yellow; etc. Google can be used to find the national colors of countries, or you can just ask your partner.

There is no theme for this years PITH. A suggestion is to make the pen you send out of material that reflects the national colors of your partners country of residence. Or you and your partner can agree upon you own theme, or you can just surprise each other.

Posting Photos

Teaser photos are encouraged. They are fun and peak the interest of everyone before the actual picture of the pen is posted. Post teaser photos directly in to the thread titled, PITH 2010 PHOTOS. Do not post teaser photos in the PITH 2010 PHOTOS album (more about the photo album later).

PITH participants are requested to PLEASE, post a picture of the pen you receive. Do not post a picture of the pen you made unless your partner requests you to do so, after he/she receives it.

Jeff has created an album on the PHOTOS page of the site, under the heading, "IAP EVENTS" that is titled, "PITH 2010". This is where the pictures of the completed PITH pens are to be uploaded. After the photo has been uploaded to the album please post in the thread titled, "PITH 2010 PHOTOS".

Instructions for uploading PITH photos to the PITH 2010 album.

1. Click on the, "Photos" link that appears at the top of every IAP web page.
2. Scroll down to the section titled, "IAP Events".
3. Click on the link that says, "PITH 2010".
4. Scroll up to the box located right above the photos and find the underlined link titled, "Upload". Click on the link.
5. Find the drop down menu box that is located under the words, "Upload File" "Category" . Make sure that the selection showing in the drop down menus box says, "PITH 2010". If it doesn't say, "PITH 2010", click the arrow on the box and select, "PITH 2010" from the menu.
6. Click, "Continue".
7. Click the button labeled, "Browse" next to the box titled, "Upload File From Computer".
8. Find and click on the photo of the PITH pen that you have on your computer.
9. Click on the picture so that the path to the photo appears in the box.
10. Write a title for your picture where indicated.
11. Write a brief description of the pen, who it came from and anything else you want to say about in the, "Description" field.
12. Click, "Upload" at the bottom of you screen

Your photo should now appear in the PITH 2010 Photo Album.

How to post a photo from the PITH 2010 Photo Album to a thread.

1. In the, " PITH 2010 Photos" thread click, "Add Reply" at the top left of the page.
2. Title your post if you want to and provide a description of the pen, who made it and anything else you would like to say in the appropriate box.
3. Click on the link titled, "Images", located beneath all the smiley faces. A pop-up box will appear.
4. Click the arrow on the drop-down menu box labeled, "Category".
5. Click on, "PITH 2010".
6. Click on the photo of the pen that you uploaded previously.
7. Complete your post by clicking, "Submit Reply".

Attempt to have all the swaps completed by Saturday, 9/4/10. That is five weeks after the drawing. This is a goal, not a requirement. If you can't get it done in that time frame it shouldn't be a problem as long as there are good lines of communication between partners.

If anyone has any questions about anything related to PITH 2010 please PM or email me. My phone number will be made available upon request by PM or email.

I think that should about cover everything. :biggrin: I hope you all have a great time, make a new friend and exchange some beautiful pens.

* Ohio Members - Gordey's is on Sunbury Road just north of S.R.161 in Columbus.. PM me if you can make a "special meeting" on Saturday, 7/31/10 at around 11:00am to witness the pairings.

**************************************************************************************************************

Group 1

Hucifer...USA

ZCrafts...USA

ldb2000...USA

foamcapt40...USA

terryf...South Africa

jeremyj...USA

PTownSubbie...USA

turbowagon...USA

Mike8850...USA

glycerine...USA

VampNM...USA

witz1976...USA

Mack C. in Brooklin ON...Canada

bgibb42...USA

Spats139...Canada

MPatterson...Canada

bitshird...USA

Skiprat...Wales

Phillywood...USA

Seamus7227...USA

Steeler fan 1...USA

Jim Smith...USA

tdjmur...USA

Brooks803...USA

indychips...USA

Brian in Burlington...Canada

juteck...USA

johnkofi...USA

latelearner...USA

el d...USA

mredburn...USA

RyanNJ...USA

lwalden...USA

Elizabethdrinkard...USA

Displaced Canadian...USA

Buzzzz4...USA

Hunter-27...USA

snyiper...USA

Wolftat...USA

EBorraga...USA

ThomJ...USA

Penmaker1967...USA

switt...Australia

MarkHix...USA

DurocShark...USA

GoodTurns...USA

micharms...Canada

maxman400...USA

madmax89060...USA

jskeen...USA

rjwolfe3...USA

gawdelpus...Australia

va3jff...Canada

shawnmhill...USA

Kandice (shawnmhill)...USA

Caden Hrabak...USA

darrin1200...Canada

Crickett...Canada

biednick...USA

awolfe...USA

olsonrdh2...USA

dalecamino...USA

alphageek...USA

areaman...USA

truckfixr...USA

MrPukaShell...USA

jaeger...USA

rej19...USA

Gofer...Canada

darcisowers...USA

atsowers...USA

cschimmel...USA

ESwindell...USA

1080Wayne...Canada

seawolf...USA

Grizz...USA

LarryDNJR...USA

Oldwagen...USA

concho joe...USA

soligen...USA

Phunky 2003...USA

HSTurning...USA

jmc1967...USA

obone...USA

Wizard...USA

ToddMR...USA

LizardSpit...USA

Crayman...USA

CHEF...Scotland

emmwittle...USA

fyrcaptn...USA

toddlajoie...USA

broitblat...USA​

kennspens...USA

CSue...USA

GaryMGg...USA

animefan...USA

michelle...USA

TylerRiddle...USA

robutacion...Australia

buckobernie...USA

Dudley Young...USA

mick...USA

rTURNERg...USA

David Keller...USA

jimofsanston...USA

DanNelson...USA

ken69912001...USA

Scout52...USA

Douglas Feehan...USA

leestoresund...USA

ProutyBoy...USA

mapletree...USA

SteveG...USA

Kev...Australia

workinforwood...USA

jthompson1995...USA

traderdon55...USA

RAdams...USA

KenBrasier...USA

KeithWare...USA

eric95...USA

Moke...USA

Sylvanite...USA

1dweeb...USA

simomatra...Australia

Sawdust Maker...Australia

scorpio oz...Australia

MusicalForest...Australia

Janet...Canada

Rfturner...USA

aussieturner...Australia

dalemcginnis...USA

Lloyd...Australia

jack barnes...USA

Coysquibbly...Canada

Fritz64...USA

burr...USA

Papa Bear...USA

VisExp...USA

trickydick...USA

patsikes...USA

THarvey...USA

mprans...New Zealand

chuditch (aka: WoodWrite)...Australia

woodhacker...Australia

Reece...Australia

capcrnch...USA

warreng8170...USA

YouthMinisterDan...USA

Rippa...Australia

jimskio...USA

cajunskeeter...USA

jaywood1207...Canada

Mrs Rojo22...USA

livertrans...USA

Skywizard...USA

bhesson...USA

run91...USA

Charles...USA

kenlicciardello...USA

alankulwicki7

BruceK...USA

Group 2

altaciii...USA

stolicky...USA

ZanderPommo...USA

bobskio2003...USA

Pioneerpens...USA

Craftdiggity...USA

Seer...USA

greenmtnguy...USA

jimm1...USA

bobleibo...USA

Mike of the North...USA

PrinterTom...USA

scrollsawwoodart...USA

Mr Vic...USA

WoodenInk...Australia

cigarman...USA

JayDevin...USA

keithlong...USA

aggromere...USA

pssherman...USA

pwhay...Australia

sparhawk...USA

wade45...USA

OLDMAN5050...USA

khogan16...USA

Crashmph...USA

elody21...USA

dgscott...USA

BigShed...Australia

Dorno...Australia

Gezawa...Australia

louie...USA

nevyen...USA

louisbry...USA

corian king...USA

Toni...New Zealand

slick...USA

ozne69...USA

Rum Pig...Australia

Nellieteach...USA

Jim Burr...USA

Glenn McCullough...USA

SkookumPens...USA

kmab...USA

its virgil...USA

Stick Rounder...USA

Mickey...USA

Striperskin...???

Nick...USA

nava1uni...USA

ssajn...USA

HazzaB...Australia

Lists are current through post #302
I have been informed that Australia bans the import of antler and bullet type of pens.

Last edited:

ldb2000

I can't hold it in any longer .....I gotta PITH!!!!! I'm in either group :biggrin:
If I have to choose put me into group 1 , anywhere .

Last edited:

turbowagon

turbowagon
USA (my country of residence)
Group 1
I'm happy to (and would prefer) to ship internationally.

- Joe

Last edited:

bitshird

Even though this international theme thing goes against my artistic principles, I'm in and in Group 1. And I live in Tennessee I'm not sure if it's still in the USA or not.

bitshird
Group 1
United States of America

And I will ship any where but Nigeria

can you imagine how lame a nice chunk of HRB or Amboyna tight eyed burl would look with some doofy colors segmented into it???

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
Im in

RAdams

USA

Group 1

Will ship Worldwide... In fact, I also prefer to ship outside my own country.

turbowagon

can you imagine how lame a nice chunk of HRB or Amboyna tight eyed burl would look wit some doofy colors segmented into it???

lol.gif
My thoughts exactly.... and I'm colorblind so I can't even tell if it clashes horribly.

I think if I get paired with another American, I'll have to go redheart, holly, blue mahoe or something like that.

phillywood

LOL I'm gonna use a universal blank :confused::biggrin:
Butch, you 're gonna be paired with me see if youcan figure out the Iran's National color. Oh, wait, before someone sends for my head. they don't like it for us American citizens to use their color. :tongue: Oh, I know I'll give you a clue, it has Red, Green and White, then I can say I am Italian too. No one will know.

RAdams

Banned
The current Flag of Iran was adopted on July 29, 1980, and is a reflection of the changes brought about by the Iranian Revolution. The emblem in the center of the flag is a highly stylized composite of various Islamic elements: Allah, there is no god but Allah, and a tulip

The coat of arms of Iran has been placed in the center of the white band which is meant to have multiple meanings, but is essentially a geometrically symmetric form of the word Allah as well as overlapping parts of the Islamic phrase "la ilaha illa Allah" ("There is no god but Allah"), forming a monogram.

There was more info about it, but that is all i wanted to post. The flag is green on top, white in the middle, and red on bottom. The symbol in the center is red. (At least that is how the flag on Wiki looks.)

juteck

I'm in! Had a great time last year with this!

juteck
resident country - US, birth country Canada, International trades to anywhere are OK.
Group 1

Top Bottom