Pushed the SLim Line tranny in to far?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I ran across a slim I made many years ago and had set it aside because I pushed the transmission in to far.:rolleyes: I happened to also run across an article on the pen makers guild page http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles.htm
Under the article Mistakes by Rich Kleinhenz.

THis is a simple Jig made to remove or back out the Slim Line transmission if you push it in a little to far. I made one of a short pen blank piece of walnut. It measures apx 1x1x3in long. I drilled a 1/4in hole close to center and ran it through the bandsaw 2 1/4 deep.
slide the 1/4 washer on the pen, insert it into the jig leaving enough room to get 2 screwdrivers between the washer and jig.
Clamp it in your vise and gently pry the washer up.
As it says in the article leave your refill in place and you can do pry it out to just the length you want.

Hope this will help someone out. There are some great articles there you can browse through.
Mike

Attachments

• jig1.JPG
    jig1.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 365
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

Thank you for this article. I don't do it often but on occasion it happens. I always set the filler along side the blank just to be sure how far to push it in. Also, if you make any modification, as you know, this is not an option - always measure.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Although you can remove the tranny this way if you have to. I thought it was better used to gently pry the tranny back to the right place without having to remove it fully.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I'm just a neanderthal, but I just pull the black top off and sand the refill down to size, then put the top back on.

Yes, but if you sell or gift that pen you or the new owner will have to do that for every refill you put in that pen. And when you file off the back of the refill do you have to do it more than once to get it right?

Craftdiggity

Yes, but if you sell or gift that pen you or the new owner will have to do that for every refill you put in that pen. And when you file off the back of the refill do you have to do it more than once to get it right?

Look, I didn't say it was a perfect fix...:eek::wink:

I usually get it on the first try, but sometimes I need to sand a second time. We're only talking about a very small amount.

hkstroud

Suggestion for removing tranny from slim line pen.

A. Purchase 1/4" compression coupling in plumbing aisle of home center.
B. Remove and discard the compression rings and one of the nuts.
C. Cut off the threads on one end of the coupling. This is to make it short enough for the tranny to extend through it.
D. Drill out the center of a small washer to 7mm.

You should now have this.
hkstroud-albums-+pictures-picture573t-tranny-removal-tool.jpg

E. Screw the nut onto the half coupling.
F. Slide the washer and coupling onto the tranny.
G. Chuck the tranny in your drill chuck.

hkstroud-albums-+pictures-picture574t-remove-tranny.jpg

H. While holding the coupling with a pair of needle nose pliers, unscrew the nut with a small wrench.

The expanding coupling and nut will extract the tranny from the pen.

Attachments

• Purchase.JPG
    Purchase.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Discard.JPG
    Discard.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Cut.JPG
    Cut.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Trammy removal tool.JPG
    Trammy removal tool.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Remove Trtanny.JPG
    Remove Trtanny.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

lazyguy

Suggestion for removing tranny from slim line pen.

A. Purchase 1/4" compression coupling in plumbing aisle of home center.
B. Remove and discard the compression rings and one of the nuts.
C. Cut off the threads on one end of the coupling. This is to make it short enough for the tranny to extend through it.
D. Drill out the center of a small washer to 7mm.

You should now have this.
hkstroud-albums-+pictures-picture573t-tranny-removal-tool.jpg

E. Screw the nut onto the half coupling.
F. Slide the washer and coupling onto the tranny.
G. Chuck the tranny in your drill chuck.

hkstroud-albums-+pictures-picture574t-remove-tranny.jpg

H. While holding the coupling with a pair of needle nose pliers, unscrew the nut with a small wrench.

The expanding coupling and nut will extract the tranny from the pen.
I like this one a lot. I gonna have to try it.

hkstroud

I like this one a lot. I gonna have to try it.

Good. Let us know how it works for you. Works real well for me, no stress, no strain. Doesn't damage the pen barrel and if you are a little careful you can even reuse the tranny.

Last edited:

jimdude

I recently received a set of Transfer Punches from HF and decided to re-finish a couple of pens, Cigar and Slim that we due to be re-done. I acquired the compression fitting and modified it for the tool for my Slimline which was stubborn beyond belief. As a practice I don't glue the transmission into my tubes. I didn't have a washer and I was trying to use the punch once again to drive the trans out while holding it with my hand. While doing this I was looking at the Transfer Punch set and said to myself, "Hey! why not try to drive it out by putting the trans in the 1/4" hold in the Transfer Punch base.". Lo and behold a couple of hard taps with the hammer drove the trans out. I thought I may have damaged it but it's OK and pen is ready to be finished.

Top Bottom