acrylic allergy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Is this common? Not sure if it is the case or just a matter of timing but I have had two bouts with what the eye-doctor thought was "pink eye". Both times I had turned various acrylic blanks around the time the symptoms showed. Any opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

While I have never experienced any allergic reactions to acrylics or other synthetics for that matter, I had gotten head aches from wood dust resulting from sanding. I just broke down and bought a Trend power ventilated mask and it has stopped the problem completely. Why take the chance of developing allergies or even serious illness? For the cost of six or eight high end pen kits, you can get a ventilated mask. It just makes sense to me at least to protect yourself and your health. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

Rick_G

You can never be sure but I am one of the lucky ones. I don't have any allergies that I know of. When I am doing anything that will produce dust I run my shop vac with a hepa filter and the inlet about an inch from the blank I am working on. With it that close I don't think anything gets to me.

THarvey

I have had some eye irritation after turning resins. Never anything serious, mostly dryness. A little Visine usually takes the sting out.

razor524

I have had two seperate incidents when I got sick with flu like symptoms after making acrylic pens. It may have been a coincidence as I had made some prior to that and did not get sick. I am taking no chances now and use a mask. I was sick for over a week!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I wear a dust respirator all the time. Not affectcting anything but my eyes so I don't know. May not have been cleared up from the first time and the dust might have triggered it again. Never had a problem with acrylics or anything before so I guess I'll see how it plays out.

Most likely it's the dust irritating your eyes...

I had a case of pink eye when I was about 10... thought it really cool because the wives tale was that if someone looked into your eyes when you had pink eye, they could catch it too... so I got to wear my dad's aviator sunglasses for about a week or so... I was so cool.......

David Keller

If you are wearing a powered respirator hood, it could be that you just have dry eyes from the constant air flow.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
no it is not that kinfd of respiator, definitely not just dry eyes. They were puffy and really nasty. Stayed out of shop today and they are getting better. Thinking of investing in a Trend set up now. Odd I have no issues with wood but the acrylics seem to be the cause.

Top Bottom