A Lucky Casting Mishap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penl8the

Hi All,

My first attempt to add some colours to my PR blanks.

The original plan was to have 4 separate cups of PR (2 oz. each) because I just made an 8 oz silicone mold.

I was supposed to add the colour (PealEx) in each of the clear plastic cup. Then stir in the correct amount of PR accelerator. Wait for 20 - 30 minutes when the PR starts to "gel". So I can pour the "gelled" PR into different part of the mold, then use something like to toothpick to make some pattern/swirls.

BUT, after 10 minutes I went to check the PR, all the plastic cups were leaking. Lucky I had line the work area with newspaper.

So I had to hurry to pour all the remaining PR from each cup into a smaller 3 oz. mold and scrape up the spilled PR.

And this is the end result. Not bad for a mishap which I am very happy about.

Now I wished I just had the two blue PearlEx as shown in the 2nd picture which is the bottom view of the slab.

It is getting late. I think I am going to make a pen from middle blank tomorrow.

P.S. Not sure why the cups were leaking at this time, but I am taking RAdams's advice to get some silicone muffin pan (http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58853)

Picture 1 - top view

cimg0679gimp.jpg

Picture 2 - bottom view

cimg0680gimp.jpg

Picture 3 - cut into blanks

cimg0692gimp.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG0679(gimp).jpg
    CIMG0679(gimp).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 106
  • CIMG0680(gimp).jpg
    CIMG0680(gimp).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 122
  • CIMG0692(gimp).jpg
    CIMG0692(gimp).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 112
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dorno

only some plastic cups are aceptable to use. Here in Australia they must have atleast a number 5 on the bottom or the resin eats through them. Try using paper cups (the coffee type) it willworkmuch better.

Cheers Ian

ZanderPommo

only some plastic cups are aceptable to use. Here in Australia they must have atleast a number 5 on the bottom or the resin eats through them. Try using paper cups (the coffee type) it willworkmuch better.

Cheers Ian

here in the US only a few recycle codes are acceptable (in the triangle at the bottom) I use #1 and it does not disslove

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
LOL

leftover alumilite that stays in the dish (stuck to the sides,etc from when I poured the mixture from the mixing bowl.

But hey, when I mix noodle pens, and some white alumilite remains stuck to the sides does that count as food leftovers since technically noodles are a form of food?

Top Bottom