Floral Pens~Polymer Clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Toni

Toni

Here are a few photo of some of my work since I am new to the board. Most of my pens are floral as I make millefiori flower canes, butterfly, leaf..etc.. I am quite obsessed!! So far I have only done Slimelines and Fountain Pens, looking forward to doing some new pen styles soon(order arriving this week!!)

Attachments

• DSC09916.jpg
    DSC09916.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,029
  • DSC08741.jpg
    DSC08741.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 948
  • DSC08447.jpg
    DSC08447.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 539
  • DSC08480.jpg
    DSC08480.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 650

maxman400

Absolutely WOW!! Those Truly are amazing. and Welcome aboard from Nevada, Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Toni

Thank you everyone for the complements, cant tell you how nervous I was to show you my pens, photos look like crap on my laptop!! They dont look that bad on flickr, oh well... As for the best, not so sure about that, I just know I love making them.

As for finish, you will laugh...I sand from 800 to 2,000, buff and put a layer of floor polish over it to preserve the shine. I am sure there is a better way everyone does it on here, I am open to suggestions!! My only problem is if the product is available in New Zealand or if it CAN be shipped down here.

johncrane

I have made a few Toni!!but no where near as good as yours i used CA glue/Super glue same, and i also used poly resin. the floor polish you use is it the white liquid used on vinyl ,and Toni don't be nervous here we all do the same thing make pens, and your first photos are great.

Toni

John~How do you put super glue on the blanks? I am a bit confused as it dries quickly so how do you brush it on smoothly? Not familiar with poly resin..LOL told you I was a bit clueless, love to learn!! The floor polish is clear, Future, I brush on a layer, bake in the oven for a minute or so, let cool, do another layer, bake and let cool and decide if i am happy with the shine before I apply any more all depends on my mood.:)

johncrane

Toni there are so many different ways too put on CA/super glue finish if you click onto Library at the top of the Home Page then click onto IAP Library index then scroll down too CA Finishing have a read there for some top ways too CA finishing. also there is a section on the Forum called Finishing there you will find a lot of other ways of CA/finishing, at the end of the day your finish being bake in the oven would be fine. lets know if you get stuck:wink::)

fiferb

Hi Toni and Welcome! Your pens are beautiful, don't sell yourself short.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

snyiper

I am simply stunned to see that much detail with clay!!!! That is awesome !! I am just starting dabbling with clay and seems every color I mix turns brown!

Bree

Simply the most beautiful pens that I have ever seen. You blew me away. I have no clue as to how you could create something so extraordinary. Just spectacular. 5 Star +++++++
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

thewishman

Looked at your Esty site yesterday - you do beautiful work! I don't know Esty very well, but I'd charge a whole lot more for your pens - because they are gorgeous!

titan2

Amazing work there Toni!!! The canes on Flickr are just stunning! If you ever offer your blanks for sale........you'd definately has some buyers on this side of the pond!

Barney

Russianwolf

Amazing work there Toni!!! The canes on Flickr are just stunning! If you ever offer your blanks for sale........you'd definately has some buyers on this side of the pond!

Barney

Barney, click the first link in her signature. It's a site called Etsy and is similar to Ebay, but only for hand-made items.

Padre

Toni, those pens are breathtaking! What an artist you are, yup, yup.

jimbob91577

Toni,

Your work is amazing...I looked at your Etsy site, and the level of detail in some of your other pieces is simply stunning. How much time goes into making one of the patterns, say the Blue Floral Pen? You've definitely got a technique that is unmatched to anything I've seen on this site before. Congratulations!

BigguyZ

Wow! I know someone should send her work into the Guild... I'm no expert, but I think you'd get it.

I think I need to look into more techniques with PC!

As far as finishing, I've finished my PC pens with CA just as I would with wood. Check out the many tutorials and videos, and then practice practice practice! But don't start with your pens, as it'd be a shame to ruin one of those while learning how to do a CA finish.

Welcome and keep on posting!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Wow! The key to making anything great is the artistic vision and they have that in great abundance. Just turning strait lines in a chunk of wood to bushings is the easy part, having the vision to go beyond that is what makes people awed. The visual effect is amazing, don't really worry about only doing this or that kit.

pensmyth

Toni,
Fantastic pens! I've just started to play around making pens with poly clay. My wife likes to make quilts and I found a cane that looks like quilt panels on etsy (where I sell my pens) so I'm going to try and make her one that hopefully looks like a quilt. Thanks for the inspiration!

Top Bottom