Pen Blank Sanding Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Here is an idea for sanding Pen Blanks instead of using a Barrel Trimmer.
At SWAT this past summer, I saw Colin Nelson (Ken Nelson of Kallenshaan Woods' son) and he had a new idea for sanding blanks. He had a aluminum block on a MT2 that fit in his tail stock. Into the block, he had shafts that were the Inside Diameter of specific pens. In his Headstock, he had a sanding disk. He would use the shaft in the tailstock to keep the pen blank square to the sanding disk. The only problem I saw was that only one small part of the sanding disk got used....

Enter the Pendant Backer Plate that Richard Joyner makes. Many of you are familiar with it. I use it and it's multiple holes to mount the pilot shaft and thus use much more of the sanding disk.

Here is the Pendant Backer Plate in a Jacob's Chuck in my tailstock. A Sierra pilot shaft is in one of the 8 holes in the Backer Plate

attachment.jpg

Sierra blank is on the Pilt Shaft ready to sand.
Headstock View
attachment.jpg

Tailstock view
attachment.jpg

Sanding the blank by simply sliding the blank towards the sanding disk in the headstock.
attachment.jpg

Sanded Sierra balnk.
attachment.jpg

I had the Pilot Shaft made by JohnnCNC. They are threaded 3/8" x 16 to fit in the Pendant Backer Plate. I only had him make the Sierra shaft to start so I could test it. It works great, especially with the FRAGILE laser cut blanks.

I am going to ask him to make other Pilot Shafts for other pen kits.

Attachments

• Backer and Pilot Shaft.JPG
    Backer and Pilot Shaft.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Pen Blank on Pilot Shaft - HS view.JPG
    Pen Blank on Pilot Shaft - HS view.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,968
  • Pen Blank on Pilot Shaft - TS view.JPG
    Pen Blank on Pilot Shaft - TS view.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,060
  • Sanding Blank.JPG
    Sanding Blank.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,006
  • Finish Blank.JPG
    Finish Blank.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,967
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Really neat idea, makes use of the entire sanding pad! Even though I just made my mini disk sander that works great, I think I might just look into this as well, never can have too many ways of making ones life easier and more enjoyable!

rherrell

Seems like alot of different parts. If you're off just .001" on each one it can add up and you won't get that perfectly square end that you're shootin' for.:wink:

Bree

I think it's a good idea and a cool additional use for the Joyner Plate. Looks like you got John a bunch of business!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom