Full Review Delta Lathe Model 46-460

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

Delta Midi-Lathe Review
Model 46-460

This is the second lathe I have owned. I bought my first lathe in August 2008 and this was my first experience with wood turning. My first lathe was a PSI Turncrafter Pro Variable Speed and is the basis for any comments about comparisons with the Delta. I recently purchased this lathe because I wanted a lathe with a little more power and capacity as I have a growing interest in turning bowls. My wood turning experience consists of over 400 pens, six bowls, a few pendants, tree ornaments, and a few bottle stoppers, etc. So my evaluation and comments are based on this experience.

I have no connection to Delta (other than owning a few of their tools) and have no interest or received any compensation in connection with this review. I bought the lathe at a retail store and paid list price ($599) less a small discount coupon. I did not buy the adjustable lathe stand, as mine will go on my workbench. I did get a brief demonstration of this lathe and thoroughly examined the floor model. I had also read several lathe reviews prior to deciding on this make and model. So much for the disclaimer, now on with the review.

Manufacturer's Description
Delta Midi-lathe Model 46-460. Electronic variable speed with a 1 HP max. motor, speed 250 – 4,000 rpm. Turn objects up to 12-1/2" diameter over the bed and 9" diameter over the tool rest bed. The maximum distance between centers is 16-1/2". It uses a #2 Morse Taper and 1x8 spindle.
It comes with a five (5) year warranty. The owner manual has 18 pages of information and I found it to be well written and without errors. An extension bed is available.
DLs-01.jpg

DLs-06.jpg

The box contained – the lathe with the tailstock mounted, a faceplate, tool rest base (mounted) 10" tool rest, 6" tool rest, hex wrench, live center, spur center, knockout bar (with rubber grip), and faceplate wrench. Out of the box, the assembly is basically done for you as tailstock and tool rest base are mounted. The only assembly listed in the manual is to bolt down to a table or stand. The unit and parts were in excellent condition, no scratches, and no marks. I did clean manufacturing grease from the ways and applied a few coats of wax.
DLs-03.jpg

The handles for the tool rest base and tailstock are polished metal and have rubber grips. They feel very sturdy and lock down easily and feel secure. The tool rest and the quill have metal locking handles that work easily and are spring loaded for ratcheting out of the way. [My prior lathe had plastic handles and I managed to break a couple of those.] The tailstock crank wheel has a 'stop pin' that will eject a live center or chuck when retracted so you don't need to use the knockout bar.
DLs-02.jpg

The faceplate is polished metal and has two hex locking screws for mounting. It is 4" diameter with four screw mounting holes. The ways are not as highly polished and not as smooth as my PSI model. The banjo does not slide quite as easily. I put a dead center in the headstock and a live center in the tailstock and pushed them together and saw a perfect dead-on alignment, no adjustments needed.
DLs-04.jpg

DLs-12.jpg

The variable speed pulleys (three sets) and belt are accessed from a large plastic door on the front of the tailstock. There is a smaller door on the lower left side. Both are very easy to use and the belt is easily moved to other positions. There is a single tension lever to tighten the belt which works easily. The belt is ½" wide and has ridges to match the pulley wheels (no slipping). There is a factory set thumb wheel to change the tension on the tension lever. Belt changing is much easier and faster than my prior lathe. The lathe has a 24 position indexing wheel that is well marked.

DLs-07.jpg

DLs-08.jpg

DLs-02.jpg

DLs-09.jpg

The speeds are listed as follows for the three sets of wheels: 250 – 750 rpm, 600 -1,800 rpm, 1,350 – 4,000 rpm. The speed control is on the top left of the tailstock and the large red on/off switch is located on the top back. There are speed reference labels on both the left side of the tailstock and under the lid of the pulley cover door. The on/off switch can be locked (padlock). This lathe also has reverse capability and this switch is just in front of the on/off switch. The motor does have an overload protection. If overloaded, turn off and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
DLs-10.jpg

The first thing I noticed about this lathe was how quite it runs. My wife also commented on how quiet it ran. I happen to have access to a sound level meter and check both the Delta and the PSI. I did the testing at the low and high range of the high speed set of pulleys. The sound levels were: Delta 48-59 db. The PSI was at 66 – 76 db. db = decibels.

DLs-11.jpg

DLs-05.jpg

DLs-13.jpg

DLs-14.jpg

DLs-15.jpg

The Bottom Line

The 46-460 met all my expectations. I especially noticed that it was smoother running and much less quiet than my prior lathe. I have not bolted it down to my bench and doubt that I will need to. I have noticed no vibration or movement while in operation. I have not yet mounted anything over 8" diameter.

Is this a good value? In my opinion, it is. There are other less expensive units in the midi-lathe range. I think the quality of construction and workmanship score high points for this unit. Did I mention how quiet is runs? For my $600 I am very satisfied with the lathe so far. I look forward to taking it through the warranty period. :) Thanks for any comments, questions, or feedback.

Last edited:

rej19

Excellent review John. I am looking to upgrade in the next few months myself and this one is on the radar along with a couple of others.

Thanks

Bree

Good review! I wish mine were as spotlees as yours but I suspect that yours will soon be more like mine... looking like it has been at work making pens!!

Those who don't have one of these... notice the points where headstock and tailstock centers meet... SPOT ON right out of the box. That is quality.
:wink::wink::wink:

airborne_r6

The alignment of the headstock and tailstock on mine was also dead on out of the box and it runs so quiet you have to be careful to not forget that it is running.

DonFaulk0517

Delta Midi Lathe 46-460

Great review... I am interested in buy the Delta 46-460. How is it working now and do you have any new comments... good or bad?

Thanks!

Gary Max

Now all we need is to talk Delta into giving IAP members a nice Discount. It's not easy to find any bargain prices on this machine. I think 10% is about the best I have seen.

Bree

Now all we need is to talk Delta into giving IAP members a nice Discount. It's not easy to find any bargain prices on this machine. I think 10% is about the best I have seen.

Best discounts come from schmoozing with your dealer!!
:cool::cool::cool:

pensmyth

I showed the LOML this review and told her that I wanted this to be my next lathe. Her comment was "you mean you haven't got it yet?" Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow! :biggrin:

Rangertrek

Still going strong

I have probably turned 30-40 pens, and a few small bowls since I got the lathe. Still going strong for me. No problems of any kind, and no additional comments or adds to the original review.

DonFaulk0517

Thanks to all... now I need to wait a bit... my Woodcraft dealer said there will be a discount coming in a couple of months. Since I'm going on vacation, I'll wait a little longer.

Thanks and Enjoy!

glen r

I bought mine last fall at the Woodworking show that was held in Edmonton. I paid a total of $999.00 for mine but that included a stand and stand extension as well as a bed extension. Also included was a Delta adjustable chuck. Pricing out the individual pieces added up to over $1300 so I figure I got a pretty good deal. I don't know if I will ever use the extensions but they will be there if I decide to sell the lathe - not very likely in the foreseable future as I like the unit.

DonFaulk0517

Thanks... how is the Delta doing. I read a couple reviews that said that the Delta had a vibration at high speed... but most reviews raved about it. Just trying to find out how it holds up after use.

Enjoy!

Bree

Thanks... how is the Delta doing. I read a couple reviews that said that the Delta had a vibration at high speed... but most reviews raved about it. Just trying to find out how it holds up after use.

Enjoy!

Mine has no vibration at high speed. And I key it up every turning session. I think it's a great lathe and if someone hijacked mine, I would buy another immediately. It is now the most used tool in my shop.
:wink::wink::wink:

DonFaulk0517

I bought my Delta this weekend... need to set it up and start turning! Thanks for your relies. I hope my lathe works as well as and as long as your has!

Enjoy!

... Don

FiremanJim

New to the forum and just read this review. I'm planning to buy the Delta 46-460 on Monday at Woodcraft for $510 and your review was very welcome news!

PaulDoug

Jim, You will not be disappointed unless you want to get into large bowls and big stuff. I've had mine about 4 months and I haven't turned on my larger Nova 1624-44 since I purchased the Delta. There are only two item that I feel they could have improved on. 1- Like most lathes the tool rest provided is not the best and you will probably end up upgrading that. I have on both my lathes. 2- The knob to lock the head stock spindle is a little to close for me. I'm not a big person and it still is a little awkward to get to and turn. Doable but awkward. Both are very minor things and don't keep me from loving the lathe. I noticed in the review it was mentioned John said he hadn't bolted his down at the time of the review. I hope he did, epically if turning bowls. A good catch could send the lathe somewhere.

It is definitely a good choice for a lathe.

keithlong

I just bought one last week and Woodcraft has them on sale until the 3rd of march for 509. that is what I paid for it. It is a cadilac, very smooth and quiet. I love the VS also.

Jeff Barnett

I also bought this lathe at Woodcraft the other day. Great lathe! Well worth the 500 bucks. I picked up the stand and it is nice as well.

kmla

I just picked mine up this past weekend as well. So far, I'm very satisfied.

Rangertrek

WOW, made it to 5,000 views. Never would have thought that.
Update, the lathe is still going strong. Moved it around the shop last weekend, doing an addition, forgot how heavy it was. BTW, take out the live center before you move it, poked me in the arm, small puncture wound. :redface:

Rangertrek

Delta Repair Service

I wanted to comment on Delta warranty and repair service for the lathe.
The other day I was "ejecting" a live center from the quill by turning the hand wheel. Same way I have done it many times; this time the drive screw bottomed out and stuck or locked and would not turn either direction.

I took it apart and put in a vise and still could not get it loose. I thought there might be a small shaving in the threads or something.

Called Delta service dept and explained my problem. The lady on the phone had no idea what I was talking about and took my phone number. A gentleman called back later in the day and fully understood my problem.

Result, new quill and drive screw in the mail, no cost, under warranty.
I was willing to pay for parts as this was questionable as a warranty item.
Anyway, Delta backed their policy as stated and nice people to deal with.

Update, took the quill to a machine shop to see if it could be loosened.
Sure enough, they put it on a "big" lathe to hold the quill and managed to break loose the screw. They said they had not seen this a few times. Cause is threads may not be quite long enough and it "bottoms out".

Anyway, the 46-460 is a great lathe and the service is top notch.:)

thewishman

John, I bought this lathe a few months ago. The purchase was largely based on your review and the comments of other owners. Love my Delta!:)

The Jet 1014 is now my buffer.

widows son

I bought my 46-450 yesterday and set it up on a temporary stand this afternoon. Turned a piece of pecan on it. Much quieter, smoother and stronger than my old Craftsman pipe lathe. Thanks for the in depth review! Damn the hot weather, I have a new toy to use!

widows son

Cross Threaded Spindle on the 46-450 out of the box

I take back all the nice things I said about Delta. I tried tried to take the face plate off of the spindle this morning AFTER loosing the set screw. Way too much resistance. I backed the face plate off about about 1/2" and see mashed threads and shavings. Not good. Somebody cross the threaded the spindle when they put the face plate on. Back to Woodcraft with the lathe this morning for another lathe. Disappointed to say the least.:frown:

Bellsy

I wanted to comment on Delta warranty and repair service for the lathe.
The other day I was "ejecting" a live center from the quill by turning the hand wheel. Same way I have done it many times; this time the drive screw bottomed out and stuck or locked and would not turn either direction.

I took it apart and put in a vise and still could not get it loose. I thought there might be a small shaving in the threads or something.

Called Delta service dept and explained my problem. The lady on the phone had no idea what I was talking about and took my phone number. A gentleman called back later in the day and fully understood my problem.

Result, new quill and drive screw in the mail, no cost, under warranty.
I was willing to pay for parts as this was questionable as a warranty item.
Anyway, Delta backed their policy as stated and nice people to deal with.

Update, took the quill to a machine shop to see if it could be loosened.
Sure enough, they put it on a "big" lathe to hold the quill and managed to break loose the screw. They said they had not seen this a few times. Cause is threads may not be quite long enough and it "bottoms out".

Anyway, the 46-460 is a great lathe and the service is top notch.:)

John,

Great review and I am glad to hear your customer service was prompt.

It seems here in Canada, they are not so fast to respond, this was on a matter not related to this lathe, but none the less they lack customer service here in Canada. I was actually told this by a US customer service rep as well.

As for comments on this product, great lathe! The live center is still lousy, the spur drive...it's ok, the knock out tool, well my handle split in two pieces about the 3rd or 4th time of being used (cheap casting...probably acrylic.....j/k it's plastic), this lathe has oddles of power, and the variable speed is a big plus, the face plate (chrome????) ok...it's overkill. 2 thumbs up on the lathe itself, nice and sturdy. One last downfall is the spindle lock......it's sloppy!!!!

I did a comparison to the General in the store where I bought this and the General has the motor way out beside the spindle handle making it awkward and it also makes the General a deeper lathe in it's foot print.

Dave

widows son

Agree about about the live center, I replaced it with another one the day I bought the lathe. I don't use the the knock out tool that came with the lathe. I made my own with a handle I turned from pecan when I "inherited" and a Sears Craftsman pipe lathe. Don't drop the face plate on your foot! The lathe is great, very quiet and powerful. Now I need to build a stand for it.

tt1106

Great review, I bought a used HF 34706, but after seeing these, I am having some lathe lust as well.

Top Bottom