Disk Sander - looking for experiences

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

I am planning to buy a disk sander for a turning (not pen) related project. I would appreciate the sharing of any experience that any of you have had.

I have some specific questions:

1) Is the stand-alone disk sander the best way to go or is the compromise of a slightly smaller sanding disk with a built in belt sander a better plan?

2) Any experience with any of the following brands' 10-inch or 12-inch disk sander?
a) Harbor Freight
b) Grizzley
c) Rikon
d) ???

Thanks in advance....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I will be in the same boat as you in Feb so I looking forward to answers on this as well. I was thinking of going with the one from Harbor Freight that someone just purchased here on the forum.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I will say I use my belt sander much more often than the disc. But they are both there!!

Mine is the Harbor Freight combo. We use it extensively for sanding PR blanks. Still functioning, slips a little, but for "normal" use, it should be great.

Last edited:

Whaler

I have had the Rikon 4"x36"/6" for a couple years now and like it.

Attachments

• product_sander6.jpg
    product_sander6.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 375

nava1uni

I have the 6" disc 4x36 and I use it all the time for many projects. The only thing I have done is add an adapter for squaring the ends of blanks. The dust collector outlet fits onto my shop vac and it runs great.

BigguyZ

I have the Delta. The drive roller for the belt parrt of the machine came loose, but it was easy to readjust/ tighten. Did a few more tweaks to it, and it runs even better now. Good machine.

mickr

Hilltopper: since you do not say WHAT THE HECK YOU PLAN TO USE IT FOR, I don't know how one could help you pick a sander..something other than pens doesn't really help...I know the previous members did their best to help you, but their imput really doesn't address your question...how about you advise us of the project you are considering and then maybe we can be REAL BRIGHT and answer WELL

alphageek

Former Moderator
I can't tell you about the ones you've asked about, but I have a Ryobi belt and disk sander (I liked the combination of price and the dust collector port)... And like Ed, I use both, but I tend to use the belt more than the disk.

rjwolfe3

since you do not say WHAT THE HECK YOU PLAN TO USE IT FOR

I am planning to buy a disk sander for a turning (not pen) related project.

I think the OP stated that in his first post, lol.

I have been wondering if there is much of a difference in going with the bigger combo unit as opposed to the smaller one. I will be picking one up in Feb and have been looking at Grizzly, Harbor Freight, or Rikon since I want to keep it under $200 if possible. I just don't know if I should use the 4" or 6" wide unit. I want to use mine for everything and anything woodworking related.

hilltopper46

Hilltopper: since you do not say WHAT THE HECK YOU PLAN TO USE IT FOR, I don't know how one could help you pick a sander..something other than pens doesn't really help...I know the previous members did their best to help you, but their imput really doesn't address your question...how about you advise us of the project you are considering and then maybe we can be REAL BRIGHT and answer WELL

Gosh, I guess I was really asking about any negative quality experiences someone might have had and didn't realize that I needed to be that specific. Specifically, the first project I have in mind, is segmenting - I have some half-rounds glued up that I need to sand 'square' to make rounds out of. I'm sure other uses will come to mind once it is installed and running.

Thanks everyone for your insight up to this point.

markgum

Got my Royobi from HD. as much as I have messed with it. I still can NOT get a straight edge on the disk. It's probably OE. :confused: need to try one more time, make sure everything is level.

rjwolfe3

Wasn't there another guy here just recently that had the belt break on his Ryobi just after he bought it? I need to do some checking but I may have comparison chart that I can post with pros and cons.

mickr

OOOPPPSSS just found out from a friend that capitilizing letters means one is yelling OOOOOPPPPSSSSS apology...din't know that...you really only have 2 choices..a belt disc combo or a stand alone disc...what you make will determine which you choose...I no longer use Grizzly products as I have poor luck with them..I use Delta Jet & up...But others swear by Grizzly...so picjk your poison

Fred

I would recommend the Jet disk and belt combination unit. I am sure glad I got one that accepts the 6" belts as the four inch belts just doesn't give me enough contact area as I move across the across the front plate. Just my $0.02.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OOOPPPSSS just found out from a friend that capitilizing letters means one is yelling OOOOOPPPPSSSSS apology...din't know that...you really only have 2 choices..a belt disc combo or a stand alone disc...what you make will determine which you choose...I no longer use Grizzly products as I have poor luck with them..I use Delta Jet & up...But others swear by Grizzly...so picjk your poison

I PREFER to think of it as EMPHASIS!!!
(Along with the occasional EXCLAMATION point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Top Bottom