So you think your a penmaker ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
They certainly are very nice Butch, but ( and I could be wrong ) I was told that he uses a standard Conway Stewart pen and simply adds the CNC'd filligree.

But yes, they really are very cool:biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Im not sure that they are cnc'd as much as hand pierced and then a graver is used to add the lines. If you look at the edges of the filigree you can see the irregulareties that hand work has. Technically they are not that hard to make, as always its the design work that sets them apart. That is not saying that his skills in in hand work arent quite good.

Chief Hill

I can do that..................just don't have any picture, right now. But trust me, it looks every bit as good!!

Yep I was thinking the exact same thing. The only difference is that I used solid gold bar and platinum to hand carve mine using sewing needles and a tiny scroll saw blade for the patterns. I didn't even bother with the whole chepo silver look.
I just stopped because it took me way too long to make each pen. Almost 2 hrs each. I decided to drop the whole silly thing after most of my pens were purchased and donated to some of the finest museums in the world. The smithsonian is still calling bothering me wanting my stuff. I told them I only do slimlines in pine wood now. Some birch too but mostly recycled 2x4's. They are faster to make.. LOL

EHHH WAS I JUST SNORING?????

Last edited:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
They certainly are very nice Butch, but ( and I could be wrong ) I was told that he uses a standard Conway Stewart pen and simply adds the CNC'd filligree.

But yes, they really are very cool:biggrin:

I met Henry last year in Chicago. He has amazing talent. You are correct in that Henry does simply create overlays for Conway Stewart pens, however, he cuts each overlay by hand...freehand...with jewelers saws and such. It's amazing to watch him work.

ldb2000

He has also used Conklin Crescent fillers and other handmade pens as a base for his overlay work . The base pens have to be slightly reworked to accept the overlays . The overlay work is really amazing , it is all hand cut and shaped then fit to the pen body . I have had the opportunity to see one of his Conkiln Bespoke pens in person and was totally amazed by the intricacy of the workmanship .

nava1uni

Thanks for sharing the link. His work is exquisite and looks to be very labor intensive and true craftsmanship. Aren't pens just grand and so much that can be done to make them.

Top Bottom