Tool Sharpening and people on the fence..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DennisM

Ok, if you are a new turner and have been debating on getting a sharpening jig and a grinder, DO NOT WAIT another sec, Log off now, I'll wait to finish this until you are back......................

Got it? Good! I am telling you that you will not be happier when turning then you are when you pull that tool off the grinder and address the blank, WOW sharp tools make for happy turners.

A little back story. I started turning about a year ago, got out of it and recently back in. Well went out on sat. and bought a Roybi 6" grinder from the orange place. I made a homemade jig for it (pics coming tonight) and sharpened the two gouges today, and let me tell you, it is so worth it. Cut like butta! The jig is adjustable and really simple to make, I made it out of MDF scraps left from the crosscut sled. So simple to use as well.

So now that you are back and have the grinder, go set it up and sharpen your favorite tool...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Dennis, I have been following along with your story the last few days. Seems you discovered that same thing many others have. you think you know what a sharp tool is until you get a sharper one. when you finally get all the way up to what I call Scary sharp you are starting to get where you needed to be all the time. Scary sharp means you start having thoughts of what would happen if you dripped the tool and it hit you in the foot cause it most likely going to mean an ER visit.

DennisM

Interested in seeing your jig... But no photos, it didn't happen

WOW, forgot to post them here... Sorry.

Here it is....

And now that I have used it a few times, I can say, again, amazing difference!

Just have to tweak the design a little to work with the skew, and remake it out of something a little more stable then MDF. Also added a second bolt with a small block of wood in the front of the channel to aid in preventing it from twisting..

Attachments

• HPIM0350.jpg
    HPIM0350.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 362

kirkfranks

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures...
Don't forget the shot with you turning an acrylic blank and the stream is one continuious length about 5 foot long shooting over your shoulder:biggrin:

DennisM

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures...
Don't forget the shot with you turning an acrylic blank and the stream is one continuious length about 5 foot long shooting over your shoulder:biggrin:

LOL Havnt got that far yet, but the stream seems to always grab the mandral and spin like spagatti. One I did today was more like snow flakes falling everywhere..

Think I am address the blank at the wrong height..

TowMater

Congrats Dennis.

I have a picture somewhere of me turning the plastic handle off of one of those cheapy multi-bit scredrivers you can buy at Ace hardware for $1.99 and the plastic does shoot right over your shoulder in a constant stream if you have a sharp tool and a steady hand.

(The screwdriver's went over well for christmas presents as well and alot cheaper than the kit's you can buy other places)

Daniel

It helps to get all that spaghetti coming more toward you if you angle the tool just a little but up. Not the usual angle since we usually do not want teh chips flying at us. When I get the angle just right my dust collector is able to catch the thread and I can actually get a pretty long strand from the blank to the hood.

Top Bottom