Thumb had a fight with a Router

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
The router won!

To start off, I already had a "short" thumb with 1/2 inch removed some 32 years ago. Today, I was using a 30° chamfer bit trimming a very light edge on a 1 in by 1/2 in by 12 inch long support brace for a book case. I was not trying to make a full diagonal but 1/4 in high chamfer. I was pushing the small piece with my hand and pushing it firmly against the back fence. Well my thumb slipped off the end and into the rotating blade. It took about 1/4 in of the soft tip of the thumb. There is a piece of meat about 3/8 X 1/2 well into the flesh just gone.

A COMEDY of MISCOMMUNICATIONS:
I went to the local clinic of the (Toyota) hospital and they sent me to emergency room. The difficulties began when the nurse and doctor looked at the thumb and knew something was wrong other than the missing piece. I had to explain two different times to the nurse and doctor that the original short thumb happened 32 years ago - in a different accident. :rolleyes:

The doctor examined and then said there was not enough (any) skin for stitches so I would have to go to a plastic surgeon in the morning. As he was setting up an appointment, I asked him to delay the appointment to mid morning at least.

I have an appointment at 8:30 AM for an injection in the knee at another hospital 30 miles away. The doctor just looked at me and kinda shook his head! He was already a little irritated with me as I kept telling him what to do - just wrap it good and put some non-stick bandage on the tip and give me a shot.

Well, he gave me an IV drip instead.

We also miscommunicated on another front. He had to document what happened so I told him. He asked me what a "router" was. I described it and so did LOML. It did not make sense to him - so he looked it up. Only he found "router" as in network routers, and asked how that could cut my thumb so bad!

And I know of another problem coming tomorrow. They (Japanese Doctors) like to check every day for a week in situations like this, and then depending, every 3 to 4 days. Well, I have a "Can't miss" organization meeting in Osaka on Thursday and Friday of this week. I don't know HOW this is going to work out. Either way, I am going to have some folks mad at me!

WORK DELAYED AGAIN
And today was the first good day since before my knee problems began that I could stand OK - and work OK, - and it wasn't raining - or I didn't have a dozen people or so to meet. I am working on some book cases that I started 3 years ago. Every 6 months or so - little by little I am building them - now delayed again!

When I got home from the hospital, I had an hour of daylight left. I put a rubber glove over my bandaged hand, got my hold down/push stick and finished that portion of the book cases. I had 4 of the support braces that are chamfered. I should have used that hold down push stick to begin with!

Life is interesting! :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Verne

Wow, sure hope the day's get better for you. Of course, I suppose, it could have been worse. Or could it?
Be well,
Vern

Longfellow

A rule I have tried to adhere to for nearly 70 years of woodworking my grandfather told and that is "Never stick your finger where you wouldn't stick your tongue" Heal quickly.

robutacion

While I admire your calm and sense of acceptance, I don't think that I would be that much in agreement with life's surprises, not without using some "distressing" universal language and some blaming...!

OK, I know, that wouldn't solve the problem but, bloody hell mate, what a **** of a day you had...!:eek:

Get well soon and without any complications!

Cheers
George

Chief Hill

Well Hank lesson learned 1 get some personal protective equipment. 2 next time you visit an ER. Just tell the dr you were playing with a knife or keep it simple. He will (should) Understand that. If it means in a case like this that it can't be fixed I woulnt bother getting into any major details as it won't help anyway. I am sure there is quite a language barrier there too which won't help. Lol. Good luck.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hope you heal quickly, Hank!!!

Consider using descriptive language: "A tool that spins a shaped blade at 36000 Revolutions per minute." My thumb became a victim of it's "shaping" ability.

Or, "My wife attacked me, chewed my thumb". (This will also introduce you to the local police chief, I suspect!)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I feel for you, I have a scar on my left thumb that runs through the middle of the pad up and around under the nail from a table saw. reached around to pick a piece off the table and the blade grabbed the piece, yanked my thumb back accross the blade in a split second. Get better and try not to do it again. the "3rd times a charm" rule doesnt apply here. Mike

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ouch!! I'm sorry to hear about your thumb, Hank.

On the good side, I bet it took your mind completely off your knee pain for awhile!!! :beat-up:

(No one has to tell me, I know I am a horrible person. :devil:

Daniel

Well at least you are taking it well. Is this anything like cutting your thumb off in super slow motion? Glad it is not worse and heal quickly.

jedgerton

A rule I have tried to adhere to for nearly 70 years of woodworking my grandfather told and that is "Never stick your finger where you wouldn't stick your tongue" Heal quickly.

I can't resist, was this a rule of "thumb"?

All kidding aside, take care of yourself. Sounds like you have lots of pressure on you right now but keep in mind your health is a higher priority than all others.

John

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I just got back from the plastic surgeon - at least that is the category of doctors that the "skin doctors" at this hospital.

After explaining to this new doctor that the short thumb was not the full result of this accident but a previous accident (wasn't workshop related) 30 years ago, the doctor gave a sigh of relief. Then he began poking the ends (hurt a tad) and no blood came forth. He said the artificial skin like bandage was doing well for only being on 24 hours. He "thinks" the padding will grow back out on the end, but if not, there is still enough to protect the bone. Nothing more needed except to change bandage daily and keep it safe. Check in next week with him. Whew!

Well this did take my mind of off the knee for a short while. I sure took for granted how much I use that right thumb! Zippers - to chop sticks - to keys . . .

Use push sticks and hold downs on router tables! I have them and normally use them. :redface:

Last edited:

jimbob91577

I'm sorry...I just had a physical the other day...and this comment made me laugh...

Hank,
Sorry about the mishap.... I read threads like this and it makes the skin crawl and gives me the heebie jeebies .... I'm scared to death of all my tools that can cut, maim or otherwise remove body parts that I really would prefer to keep.... definitely makes me aware of where my hands are and the potential of what can happen if I don't pay attention.

Heal well, heal quickly and stay safe.

VisExp

"Fingers and thumbs, don't be dumb"

I heard this on a podcast a couple of years ago, and the thought goes through my mind just about every time I make a cut on the table saw or router table.

Sorry, to hear you got hurt Hank. I hope you have a fast recovery!!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Well, you know, Hank, I had a 'feeling' when you told me about you'd "put a glove on your hand . . . ".

And now I read, "When I got home from the hospital, I had an hour of daylight left. I put a rubber glove over my bandaged hand, :rolleyes: got my hold down/push stick and finished that portion of the book cases.

I'm gonna get out that glove :biggrin:. Hope your thumb heals quickly.

Top Bottom