Shipwrecks and treasure chests! What a busy day!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Well, Didnt want the kiddos sitting home watching TV on a nice day, so I built a treasure chest one night, made up a treasure map and "made it look old".. then we went to a deserted beach and I buried it before the kids got to the beach and the kids used the map to locate the "treasure" chest of candy money, candy necklaces & chocolate coins..

Then we decided to explore the remains of a shipwreck that was 3 miles upshore from us. (John N. Neil, a coal carrying bark from the 1850s that broke its mooring about 100 miles upshore back in the 1880s and drifted to its location now. It was hidden in the sand until 1984 when it was uncovered again during a storm. Not much remaining of the ship now. It was a 150 ft ship in its day.. The beams on it are about 12x12 and they were held together by steel rods and wooden dowels about 1.5" in diameter.)

There is 100s of shipwrecks off the coast here and a bunch are still visable & divable in up to 100 ft of water off shore. (Yankee gale of 1851 took down about a hundred ships alone in the 2 days of the storm)

Memories they will grow with.. finding a treasure chest of treasure and finding shipwreck remains :)

Kids will sleep good tonight after walking about 6 miles return on the shore lol

Attachments

• chest.jpg
    chest.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 317
  • treasure.jpg
    treasure.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 332
  • water.jpg
    water.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 319
  • ship.jpg
    ship.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 261
  • ship2.jpg
    ship2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
How very cool! :cool:

Do you know what ship's sails are up in the right distant background? Beautiful family and great pictures.

mywoodshopca

How very cool! :cool:

Do you know what ship's sails are up in the right distant background? Beautiful family and great pictures.

Distant background? There was a few houses here.. this is the zoom on my camera from about 1.5 miles upshore..

Here is one of the other summer cottages near this beach :)

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 200
  • house1.jpg
    house1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 139

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
That is great. It's nice to be able to spend time with your kids when they are so young and the creativity you have shown is outstanding. Looks like a day you will all remember, just not enough of them it seems sometimes.

mywoodshopca

Thanks everyone.. It was a fun and tiresome day.. This year we started exploring the island here a lot more.. some days we were putting on 100+ miles of driving around to different beaches.. everything from beautiful white sand ones to rocky cliffs 40+ feet high.. and the kids are loving collecting sea glass, rescuing starfish and sanddollars from seagulls during low tides, etc.. My oldest ( shes 6) is always is grabbing wood for me to turn into pens lol

Last edited:

mywoodshopca

Who can visit a shipwreck and not take one chunk of wood? :biggrin:

I took a chunk just big enough to make one blank once it was squared up..

The wood has a nice dark color (little tung wiped on the right part of it up to the 5 inch mark). Looks like being buried for 100 years in wet coal and sand stained the wood dark.. Will let this dry for a few days and see how it looks on a pen :biggrin:

There is another coal wreck about 10 miles upshore from this one sitting in 50 feet of water and most of the coal is still there according to fishing nets coming up black.. maybe next summer I can grab a chunk from that one to compare.

Attachments

• blank.jpg
    blank.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Top Bottom