Been busy casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dai Sensei

Decided to take a picture of the different types of WW casts I've been doing lately. These are just samples, I've cast around 4-12 of each so far (plus coffee bean blanks ). Been also casting a few pine cones too, but pictures of them will have to wait.

First off is the Red Mallee Burl cap cast in Two tone Blue/Purple, Purple (photo doesn't show colour quite right), Bright Blue and Candy Pink

attachment.jpg

Next, Conkerberry with Blood Red (dye), Bright Blue, Maroon and Gold
attachment.jpg

Then my burnt Budgeroo root with White Pearl, Bright Yellow, Copper and Bright Blue
attachment.jpg

Can't wait to turn a few of these, but I will have to wait until next month, too busy with other things at the moment :frown:

Cheers

Attachments

• red mallee casts.jpg
    red mallee casts.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,368
  • conkerberry casts.jpg
    conkerberry casts.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,099
  • budgeroo casts.jpg
    budgeroo casts.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 986
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

traderdon55

If I cast some blanks that look as good as these I don't think I could wait till next month to turn them. I would have to find some time to see how they looked turned.

Manny

Nice place ments and colors. Looks like alumilite yes?

I think all of them except maybe the copper will need some tube and whole painting. Will be interesting to see what choices you make there as well.

Get turning!

RAdams

Banned
They look terrible... You shuld just throw em all in a box and send them to me for proper disposal. Really, those are some sweet blanks! I look forward to seeing them as pens!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Aaahh... NOW I see why I should have kept those spiky parts off of the burl caps!
What a great effect! Does the wax interfere with the casting? Did you need to do
anything special with it first? They look great.
Watch out, Eugene .. you've got some competition down under!

Manny

Yep I'm pretty happy with them, still playing with colours. They are PR, I can't get Aluminite here.

Wow I was sure it was Alumilite. Do you have any issues keeping the PR and the wood stuck together when drilling or turning?

I was casting WW in PR for a while and switch to Alumilite because it bonds better to the wood.

Let me know how they turn out.

Manny

Dai Sensei

What a great effect! Does the wax interfere with the casting? Did you need to do
anything special with it first?

No wax on these timbers, and very old and dry, which probably helps with the bonding. The only thing I'm doing is wire brushing to ensure no dirt or bark etc.

Wow I was sure it was Alumilite. Do you have any issues keeping the PR and the wood stuck together when drilling or turning?

I've only turned a few, and got some others to try them too. No problems yet, but I do drizzle thin CA over them before I start along the joints, then again all over as I approach the final shape.

I've also been casting some pine cones and banksia pods this week - I'm addicted.

I was orignally casting for my own stock and for a few close friends, but the costs of pigment and resin is adding up quickly, so might have to sell some locally to help pay for it all :redface:

Dai Sensei

Couldn't resist turning a few of these types, so I turned some short ones as Sierra blanks, now just have to wait for some more kits to put them in. The cheaper Sierras I have don't suit.

attachment.jpg

I've also been casting pine cones and banksias. I turned a few of them
here

Cheers

Attachments

• turned WW blanks.jpg
    turned WW blanks.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 280

BigguyZ

Yeah, I realized when I saw them on finished Sierras that they were half blanks turned to final size. I thought they were still full length, and oversize- which would make finishing with CA odd, given that you'd remove it when turning to final diameter.

Very nice, though!

Top Bottom