2 new segmented pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bfgladden

bfgladden

The first is Red Heart and Osage Orange with aluminum segments. Managed to keep the aluminum dust out this time. The second is a Checkerboard pen with Bloodwood and soft maple. I think I'm finally getting the hang of the CA/BLO finish. Comments and critiques welcome and appreciated :).

Attachments

• Red and Yellow.jpg
    Red and Yellow.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,780
  • Red and White Checker.jpg
    Red and White Checker.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,028
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

Very nice. I especially like the first one. Did you come up with the design, or is there a pattern to be found somewhere?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful work Brian. Be prepared for lots of questions on "keeping the dust off". You did an Excellent job at doing that on the pens.

bfgladden

I did not come up with the pattern on my own. I saw Kaspar's gorgeous zebra and tru-stone pen and wanted to try my hand at a similar design. Check it out here, its really a masterpiece. http://www.villagephotos.com/utils/image.aspx?u=2003-11\493974\Zebra%20Composite-open-002.jpg&188978.1499156803

"Hank is right.... How DID you manage to keep the aluminum dust out of the wood? Hmmm? :wink::biggrin:"

I took Hank's advice and tried scraping instead of sanding. My scraper was a bit dull and I didn't want to go sharpen it, so I used the very tip of a sharp gouge chisel. My hand isn't very steady, so it was a bit nerve racking. I think that when I actually go take the time to sharpen the scraper it will work a lot better.

Last edited:

ngeb528

Really like the look of the Redheart/Osage. What size is the aluminum you used? It looks a lot thicker than others I've seen. Both are great looking pens.

bfgladden

Really like the look of the Redheart/Osage. What size is the aluminum you used? It looks a lot thicker than others I've seen. Both are great looking pens.

I honestly don't know what size it is. The aluminum comes from some old trail markers. Its roughly the same thickness as the flashing you can get at Lowes.

Top Bottom